RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-03-2012, 02:13 PM   #161
Steel Maiden
There is no place like 127.0.0.1

That sounds very stressful. I can relate to garbling phone messages. I never leave voicemails because of that. I hope that today's day off will help.

PM me if you want a PDF copy of the ICD-10 or the Mental Health Act 1983/2007. I ALSO HAVE THE DSM-V BOOK and am a pharmacology student.

I have a visual impairment / neurological problems so I need people to type in clear text and no funny fonts. Also excuse any typos, my vision blocks things out.
I have autism and have problems communicating, PMs included.
Just becasue I type well doesn't mean I speak well. I am only part time verbal.

Steel Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 10:47 PM   #162
Guineapigged

My parents got sent a questionnaire about my childhood today. They pretty much went through the whole thing ticking "no", "no", "no" ... so maybe my memory of my childhood is completely different to what actually happened. I'm starting to wonder whether I'm making the whole thing up.
The most depressing part was the question, "What is your favourite thing about your son/daughter?". They looked at each other, laughed because they couldn't think of anything, then eventually wrote, "gives good presents".

BRB crying forever

Guineapigged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 09:20 AM   #163
Steel Maiden

^ that is awful! Your parents clearly don't understand at all.

PM me if you want a PDF copy of the ICD-10 or the Mental Health Act 1983/2007. I ALSO HAVE THE DSM-V BOOK and am a pharmacology student.

I have a visual impairment / neurological problems so I need people to type in clear text and no funny fonts. Also excuse any typos, my vision blocks things out.

Old 20-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #164
Turtleface

I am currently:

I'm sorry guinea pigged, they sound very ignorant :/

How is everyone? I think I'm breaking down again..

Turtleface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 12:40 PM   #165
Steel Maiden

I'm sorry to hear that Turtleface, what exactly is going on?

I am fed up to the extreme with revision. It is really dire, boring and uninteresting (I am doing a compulsory Physiology module for my BSc Pharmacology degree).

I used to love Physiology when I was younger, but this textbook has made me hate it.

And I have the problem that my brain "chooses" what it wants to learn; so I may get a horrendously low mark in this exam despite my high IQ and good rote memory, for subjects my brain "chooses".

I know my Psychopharmacology textbook almost verbatim, as that is my brain's favourite subject.

Any advice on how I can get through this without getting extreme frustration?

Last edited by Steel Maiden : 20-03-2012 at 12:40 PM. Reason: additional

Old 20-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #166
Turtleface

I am currently:

I'm not sure, I know there are many things to make it more bearable such as breaking it into small chunks and then giving yourself a reward after each accomplishment. But I would hate to give you the wrong advice.. I could actually use the answer to that question myself!

Maybe if you could work out what is was you enjoyed about physiology and find a way to revolve your study around that? That is if it's possible.

Sorry, long post.

I've seen my psychologist twice after my last post, I don't think he ever sent my assessment away, he never charged me for it. I'm not sure if this is because he doesn't think I have anything or if he forgot. Last Friday I had a really bad episode before my flight, I don't want to go into details... But in the end I passed out. The reason I was flying was because I took a leave of absence from uni, I decided there's no way I can continue in my current condition. So I left uni and now I'm very far away... Because here there is someone important to me who I hurt and I want to make things better again. I have no idea how to though, I found a house to rent, I need to get a job now... But I don't know how I'll get one, I have no experience, no qualifications, I'm socially inept and I keep having these episodes.

So I'm here, far away from home. To try and improve things with someone who doesn't even want to see me. I'm too afraid to leave my room, let alone go down to welfare offices. I'm starving and hopeless, I haven't showered or brushed my teeth.... And that's about it. I'm just a wreck.

Old 20-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #167
Steel Maiden

Turtleface, thank you for the advice. I'm sorry to hear that you're going through such a hard time. I'm not sure what to suggest as I have never been in your situation, but do you have anyone you can call? Or anyone around you that is capable of helping?

Old 20-03-2012, 04:37 PM   #168
Turtleface

I am currently:

It's fine, it'll pass. This happens quite often. I do have people I can call, when I gather up the courage to call them... And people who are willing to help, I'm just unwilling to ask. I didn't mean to complain, sorry.

Old 20-03-2012, 05:09 PM   #169
The Hierophant

I can relate to the being unable to call people due to courage, thats big for me, I know I have people who care about my welfare, but I can't speak to them about it.

Steel, have you tried flash cards? That used to work for me a little.

I made friends today! Had tea at a colleagues house again (same as before) & i'm going to the natural history museum in may with another. This is good.

Panicking though, have interview on Friday and I can't sleep, so scared, which is silly I suppose as so many people have faith that I'll fly through it. I keep doubting myself so badly though.

The Hierophant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 07:35 AM   #170
Steel Maiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleface View Post
It's fine, it'll pass. This happens quite often. I do have people I can call, when I gather up the courage to call them... And people who are willing to help, I'm just unwilling to ask. I didn't mean to complain, sorry.
No need to be sorry. I hope things improve soon. Calling is very difficult, I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hierophant View Post
I can relate to the being unable to call people due to courage, thats big for me, I know I have people who care about my welfare, but I can't speak to them about it.

Steel, have you tried flash cards? That used to work for me a little.

I made friends today! Had tea at a colleagues house again (same as before) & i'm going to the natural history museum in may with another. This is good.

Panicking though, have interview on Friday and I can't sleep, so scared, which is silly I suppose as so many people have faith that I'll fly through it. I keep doubting myself so badly though.
Thank you for the flashcards suggestion, that is a good idea as the authors of my Pharmacology textbook also sell a "Pharmacology Flash Cards" set which I would find really useful.

Calling/communicating is difficult, especially in hard times.

Well done for making friends, that is excellent. Have a good time at the museum. What are your new friends like?

I'm not surprised you're panicking, interviews are really scary. But if a lot of people (including me) have faith in you, then try not to doubt yourself too much (I know that is easy for me to say, but I believe in you).

Old 22-03-2012, 08:20 PM   #171
Ellyx
Ella

I am currently:

Im struggling to fucntion at the moment due to stress. Does anyone else find this difficult when they get stressed?

Do not adjust your mind, there is a fault in reality

Ellyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 09:38 PM   #172
Steel Maiden

I struggle to communicate and function when I'm stressed too. I also get fatigued and irritable.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:10 AM   #173
Fracture

I am currently:

Been a while since i posted in here. Wondering how Autism affects people's self harm and such. Like what draws you to the end of your tether? I've been okay, a ryl meet would be awesome, although like said a activity might best be sorted out so we're not just an awkward bunch standing around haha :) lets get it sorted :)

Fracture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:44 AM   #174
Steel Maiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fracture View Post
Been a while since i posted in here. Wondering how Autism affects people's self harm and such. Like what draws you to the end of your tether? I've been okay, a ryl meet would be awesome, although like said a activity might best be sorted out so we're not just an awkward bunch standing around haha :) lets get it sorted :)
Hi. How are you?

I used to hit myself as a kid apparently, especially when I got upset. But my more recent self-harm was purely as a result of psychosis. I never used self-harm to help me cope. In fact the main scars I have now were done because I thought that I had to give my blood away to "Higher Powers" (aka a delusion). I have self-harmed in hospital, but that was because I thought my blood was poisoned (another delusion). I never wanted to self-harm, and I hated every part of it. If I hadn't had these delusions, I would have never self-harmed at all.

When I am "at the end of my tether", I don't self-harm, but I have a huge meltdown. I'll start screaming, smashing things and even hitting people. When I was sectioned by the police in the past, they've had to call for backup because I went....mad.

But I don't self-harm to cope or to relieve stress. I hate hurting myself.

RYLers with Autism meet sounds good - perhaps we could arrange a museum visit?

Old 07-04-2012, 12:38 AM   #175
Ellyx
Ella

I am currently:

I also have huge meltdowns so i can relate.
I do self harm, i used to bang by head againt things as a child and bite myself.
I then discovered cutting, and have been doing it since i was about 14

Yes meet is a good idea, london prehaps (Though at a quieter time) what sorts of free museams are there?

Old 07-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #176
shadow-light
He was no dragon. Fire cannot kill a dragon

I am currently:

I got a copy of the medical records this week for my benefits people and have discovered that "suspected aspergers" is down on them... I brought it up with my counselor and he suggested referring me to somewhere in Blyth for an assessment. So I am now on a 13 month waiting list lol

Quote:
I am fed up to the extreme with revision. It is really dire, boring and uninteresting (I am doing a compulsory Physiology module for my BSc Pharmacology degree).

I used to love Physiology when I was younger, but this textbook has made me hate it.
Physiology sucks... My first degree was in that, hated every second of it... I had been doing neuroscience and I loved that but fails a psychology module so got made to switch

shadow-light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:23 PM   #177
Steel Maiden

Ella - I'm sorry to hear you self-harm. Do you have any support for it? Meltdowns are very distressing. I think the Science Museum is free for the non-exhibition parts. I like the Science Museum, when there aren't loads of kids there.

Shadow-light: good luck on your assessment. Shame about the waiting list. I actually used to read Physiology in my spare time when I was 13-14, but UCL (my uni) ruined it for me, some of the lecturers, and the book they chose for reading material, made it such a boring subject. To be honest I wish I had done mathematics in university.

--------

I feel that even now, there is a lot of misunderstanding about Autism. The other people living here have never heard of Asperger's Syndrome, and when I told one of them that it is a form of Autism, she asked me why I could speak then :/. The carer (aka a total idiot) thinks Autism is an attitude problem and that I need to be "corrected". I lent him a book on Asperger's by Tony Attwood; he read most of it, then gave it back to me and said "you need to talk to people more" :/.

What do you think about the understanding of Autism in the public? Or professionals? My dad had to actually tell my CAMHS psychiatrist that I need to be assessed for Asperger's (because my team didn't even understand what it is!) and even then I ended up getting a private assessment which cost my dad £450.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #178
Ellyx
Ella

I am currently:

Your career makes my blood boil. You don't deserve any of his crap.

I think understanding is very bad, i was once told that only fully british or american people can be autistic (Im half czech)
I've also had the "you will grow out of it" and "it only effects children"

I do get support for my self harm, abit not great support, and when i have had to go for stiches i had a doctor tell me in his country they would do nothing as it was self inflicted :/ (though he refused to treat me his comment made me so angry i called him a racist name, though it was completly in anger im not a racist. I just struggle to control my anger at times)

Science museam would be great, though we should arrange it out of school holidays so there are no kids, and plus if there are to many kids we could always go and get a coffee instead :) who is up for it. If people like the idea i will start a thread in the meet board xx

Old 09-04-2012, 05:19 AM   #179
Steel Maiden

Thanks Ella, the carer is totally crap; I would complain enough to get him fired but unfortunately he owns this house so if he gets fired, I lose my placement here.

That is a totally ridiculous comment, saying that only one particular race gets autism, totally racist of that person,

I hate the "it only effects children" bit. So an Asperger's child magically gets "cured" of autism they day they turn 18? That's total bulls**t.

I'm sorry to hear about that doctor; did you make a complaint? I had one doctor tell me I have BPD just because I used to self-harm. I looked up th criteria for BPD and I definitely don't have it, and my psychiatrist confirmed that.

That sounds great, the Science Museum meet. We'd all be really nervous though, but I'm sure that with time we'd start talking and getting friendly.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:59 PM   #180
Guineapigged

I remember when I was a teenager I brought up Asperger's with my GP and he chuckled and told me that it is only diagnosed in children.
So I had to go through a kind of mourning period. I was devastated, because I'd been so sure that I'd finally found the reason why I am like I am, but after being told by my GP that I didn't have it, I had to come to terms with the fact that I was just a sad, boring, ugly loner. It was around that time that I just gave up on myself. I piled on the weight, gave up trying to make friends, and my schoolwork went from straight As to Cs and Ds.
Now I'm 20 and in the last year or so, two separate professionals asked me if I'd been tested for autism. Luckily, one of them is the district consultant and referred me to Sheffield for testing.

My appointment is in May. I am incredibly anxious. Strangely, I'm mostly worried that they'll say I'm not autistic, because that would leave me back at square one. So much is riding on this assessment that I can barely stand it.

Was anyone here assessed as an adult? At Sheffield, in particular? What exactly happens in the appointment? I'm worried I won't be able to think of anything to say, but I don't want to turn up with a file full of "weird things I did as a kid" in case they think I'm too eager.

Guineapigged is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)