RYL Forums

Forum Jump

Old 31-05-2007, 12:32 AM   #1
pugdog
Outsider

I am currently:
Wound Care - Product question QR powder

hi, I found this product at an outdoor store, it looks pretty promising, it is some sort of powder that will quickly clot and form a scab on bleeding wounds within seconds. I picked up a few packs, but haven't used them yet.. was wonderin if anyone had any sort of experience with this or similar products. I put a pack in my first aid kit just in case. its kind of expensive ($10 for 2 uses) so i wouldnt use it unless it was pretty bad.. but anywho I thought i'd throw it out there.. it looks safer than the personal stapler kit they had at that store (used only in real emergencies where you cant get to a dr.. like in the wilderness where i go camping)

-brian

Last edited by Aidee : 04-06-2007 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Removed Link

'in the quiet heart is hidden, sorrow that the eye can't see'

Old 31-05-2007, 04:24 PM   #2
Queen Crabbit
Are you a florist?

I am currently:

Looks... interesting.

Never heard of it before though.

&& then buffy staked edward. the end.

Old 31-05-2007, 05:26 PM   #3
Aidee

I am currently:

I'm not familiar with this particular product, but I have seen others like it. It has it's uses, but I don't really feel that it is appropriate for someone to use on their SH. Even in the appropriate setting, it really shouldn't be used until a after pressure and elevation have been attempted. That should stop all but the most serious of bleeding, and anything pressure and elevation doesn't stop needs to be seen by a doctor ASAP anyway.

In a situation where you are camping, hunting or the like and you can't get to a hospital or doctor I suppose it's an acceptable product, but I really wouldn't suggest it for the casual RYLer.

AD

Well it breaks my heart to see you this way,
The beauty in life, where's it gone?
And somebody told me you were doing okay,
Somehow I guess they were wrong.

Old 04-06-2007, 02:28 AM   #4
sc0tt

I am currently:

I looked around and It appers to be simmilar to somthing we used in the ARMY called "quick clot". You could pour it on gun shot wombs. The only problem I see is that the quick clot was used to stablize until you could get to more advanced medical treament (and you have to wash the stuff out later), it was in no way a quick instant fix. I don't see how this could be too differnt.

It works great for surface wombs that are bleeding hevily. I keep 3 in my medical kit at home. But as was said above. I wouldn't go buying them in bulk for a ryl members uses.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Old 04-06-2007, 05:43 AM   #5
Aidee

I am currently:

Scott said it better then I did.

The worry I have with a product like that is that people on RYL would use it, and then not seek the medical attention that they need because the bleeding had stopped. If the bleeding is bad enough to use this product, then the person needs to see a doctor right away anyway.

In fact, sorry Brain, but I'm going to remove the link because I don't want members thinking that we think they should purchase this product.

AD

Well it breaks my heart to see you this way,
The beauty in life, where's it gone?
And somebody told me you were doing okay,
Somehow I guess they were wrong.

Old 04-06-2007, 12:56 PM   #6
rainb0w.sparkl3s
0.o

I am currently:

i personally wouldnt use it but i guess it could be useful if you got injured out in the wilderness and needed to stop bleeding cause you were so far away from a dr etc...

Old 04-06-2007, 04:06 PM   #7
Guardian angel

I am currently:

I would not condone any member useing this product without proper medical supervision if you had to use a product like "Quick clot" which i know about, then the injury would almost certainly warrant immediate medical attention as it is used for wounds that would be life threatening. The product also needs to be removed by a medical procedure (for the UK EU version) im not sure about the US version but i would think it is the same.

Now we all have a great need for acceptance, but you must trust that your beliefs are unique, your own, even though others may think them odd or unpopular, even though the herd may go.

pathetic

Old 05-06-2007, 06:18 PM   #8
sc0tt

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian angel View Post
I would not condone any member useing this product without proper medical supervision if you had to use a product like "Quick clot" which i know about, then the injury would almost certainly warrant immediate medical attention as it is used for wounds that would be life threatening. The product also needs to be removed by a medical procedure (for the UK EU version) im not sure about the US version but i would think it is the same.
Same with the US version

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)