Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 31-05-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
Imamotherfudgingpirate
RYDW I'N HOFFI COFFI!

I am currently:
RAF/GP effected by self harm scars?

Hi,

So I was looking around le internet, and I saw mixed feedback from what was said.
Basically I am (nearly) 16, and my arms are obviously pretty much covered in scars from shoulder to wrist (on both arms), as I want to be a medical officer in the RAF (at least temporarily), I wanted to know if having these scars, and having a record of self harm (I receive counselling and I had seen my GP about it - so it may be on medical records, I'm not sure o.o), but yeah, I wanted to know if this means that my application would be rejected or effected at all by this?

Also would I be effected/rejected from a job as a GP with my arms? :c

I appreciate any feedback, thanks for reading:3

Much love and all the best xxx

You may lose the battle, but keep fighting the war.
"I'm scaring myself, I don't know the girl in the mirror now"
"How can you know? How can you stay in control when all that you know is falling apart?"
"Time's racing please slow down, i gotta find my way out, I'm hopless but hoping.."
RIP Lewis Thelwall - 26/11/12
ILOVEYOU- remember that c:

Imamotherfudgingpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Hugs Given By :
Old 31-05-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
FabulousMike
Proud Union Activist.

I am currently:

I don't know about becoming a GP, but I know the military does look down on it, so to speak. I don't think you'll be able to get into the RAF or any other branch of the military (I don't know about civilian areas).

But your best bet is to go into a recruitment office and ask there.

I'm doubtful though.

FabulousMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

As for GP, if you can prove you're stable, it should be okay (thought you need to see occupational health and jump through some hoops).

RAF *may* be more strict. I was interested in joining the MOD a few years back (engineering) and noticed that *some* people had trouble with MH history (obviously, it was quite a few years ago, and I never followed through with it).

Whichever you decide to do, it will probably be necessary to prove that you're stable, and your job will not worsen your MH.

It doesn't matter where you come from; it matters where you go.
No-one gets remembered for the things they didn't do.
We won't all be here this time next year,
so while you can take a picture of us.
We're definitely going to hell,
but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

talaiporia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
Imamotherfudgingpirate
RYDW I'N HOFFI COFFI!

I am currently:

Yeah, I found it on the RAF site, they said something like "only one episode", maybe I'll pop down Swansea soon and check it out at the recruitments office c:

Ahh ok c: at least the GP option is still there, some were saying as long as your 3 years free, and that it depends on how the RAF doctor examining you decides whether you're healthy or not and stuff.

But thanks for the feedback c:

"How can you know? How can you stay in control when all that you know is falling apart?"
"Time's racing please slow down, i gotta find my way out, I'm hopless but hoping.."

Old 31-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #5
Gone.

I think that, with becoming a GP, you've got to have been stable for X amount of years - might be three, might be five, I'm not entirely sure. Negotiate with Occupational Health and make sure that you engage in the support to have you feeling better and healthier again. It'll be looked upon more favourably if you do take all the help offered.

As for the RAF, I'm not sure. I know that they aren't exactly keen on it. It might show that you cannot cope as well in the stressful situations that could be thrown your way. Could you go to a careers advice place and talk it through? You might have to show that you've been stable for a while.

Left.

Gone. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #6
Imamotherfudgingpirate
RYDW I'N HOFFI COFFI!

I am currently:

Ok, thanks:3

Old 31-05-2012, 03:46 PM   #7
happiness...its all a lie

I am currently:

Im not sure about RAF, but with the GP i think as others have said depends on how stable you are etc but if you get the relevant qualifications i cant see why not - everyone has a past of some kind. Also with the GP thing they may ask you to wear long sleeves to cover your arms but im only guessing as my bf has to wear long sleeves to cover tattoos but he works in retail.

happiness...its all a lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 09:20 PM   #8
snailonvalium
*~manda~*

I don't know about the raf but i know two people with mh problems who chose to go into medicine,the first took a year out mid training to go ip for anorexia and she's now a fully qualified gp,the other is still training to be a doctor and has been in and out of ip for depression/anorexia since '06 and she's still allowed to continue....so there is hope x

snailonvalium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:34 AM   #9
Imamotherfudgingpirate
RYDW I'N HOFFI COFFI!

I am currently:

Thanks, that's really helpful:3 (and brilliant, pure brilliance :D )

Old 04-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #10
Lizzie87

I am currently:

i don't know about the medical field, but i'm training to be a counselor and no one has mentioned my arms.

i think the military is different though. i can't remember exactly, but i looked into it a few years ago, and i don't think they take on people who are mentally unstable. i might be remembering that wrong though.

Lizzie87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:50 PM   #11
rachelxo

I am currently:

Don't have much massively useful insight or anything, but just to say a good friend of mine had struggled with SH/ED/depression in his past, and now has an offer to study medicine in September so it definitely is possible! :)

rachelxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:44 AM   #12
-Carpe Diem
This Member is currently Banned

I am currently:

I applied to be a medical officer in the RAF earlier this year and got rejected at the medicl checks stage.

You have to prove via your medical records that you are AT LEAST 3 years free from ANY self-harming behaviour AND self-harming thoughts. And even if you manage that, it's unlikely they'll accept you because of the extent of your scaring. To them it suggests a large problem being able to cope with stress.

But, it's taken on an individual basis. So you might have a chance. I'd still apply, even if you get told to re-apply in 3 years :)

[It will be on your medical records]

Studying Medicine will be incredibly stressful and when you apply, I strongly suggest putting depression/anxiety o your UCAS form (That wil make more sense when you actually apply :P) because then the uni's you apply to should comtact you aout how thy can bext help and support you. They will send you an occupational health questionaire which they can reject you on because they could deem you unfit to practice. Unlikely if you're not actively self-harming, but yea.

Hope this helped.

-Carpe Diem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:30 AM   #13
Imperfect.Star

I'm just about to qualify as a doctor despite 5 years of self harm. Admittedly it wasn't a problem I had when applying for medicine and it has created some difficulties throughout my training but I've done it. The biggest hurdle is getting registration with the general medical council as this requires you to be 'fit to practice' but that's not something you have to deal with until you qualify. When applying for medschool just be honest. If your problems are in the past and you have dealt with them then they shouldn't stop you from doing medicine.

Always seem to get things just that little bit wrong.

"don't wish, don't start, wishing only wounds the heart"

Imperfect.Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:50 PM   #14
Charmed
I'm safe up high.

Hey there,

I don't know much about becoming a GP but as far as I'm aware you have to prove to be free from thoughts and acts of all self harm and depression for 3 years as others have said.

Unfortunately the RAF have strict restrictions to get in, I was rejected due to my self harm and have researched the internet for all the forces. On the RAF website it states one cannot join if one has had "More than one episode of deliberate self-harm of any type". The other restrictions can be found http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/rafcms...A28D2D8DAE.pdf on their pdf file.

However I think they make allowances for specific people so as others have said, you should try and apply anyway and see what happens :) Good luck.

Have you ever looked fear in the face and said "I just don't care"?

Charmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #15
Imamotherfudgingpirate
RYDW I'N HOFFI COFFI!

I am currently:

Thanks guys ^.^
I really appreciate all you feedback:3
Yeah, I'd looked at the site before I tried to ask here xD
3 years free, hurr that may be problematic, I'll only be 2 years or so free by time I want to apply, (cause I want to get a medical sponsorship)
but never mind >.<
Thanks again c:

Old 13-06-2012, 10:09 PM   #16
Aardbei
Forum Mod

I am currently:

My old GP used to self-harm so it obviously wasn't an issue for her - she told me in an attempt to make me see that things can get better, which was lovely of her, but probably not allowed! My point is though that it shouldn't hold you back as long as you're stable. Good luck x

Aardbei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 11:09 AM   #17
Imamotherfudgingpirate
RYDW I'N HOFFI COFFI!

I am currently:

That was really lovely of her:3
Thank you:3 x

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)