RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 15-12-2012, 05:03 AM   #1
BonBon
And you bleed just to know you're alive

I am currently:
quitting therapy.

Therapy has never ever wroked for me in the past, ususally because of the therapists, and the approach. its essentially that I have no problem figuring out what is going on for me, and going to therapy for me was just rehashing it out again for me. But last summer I went to go see this psychiatrist guy at our local hospital on the referral of my moms psychiatrist, and it was really good. he was very straight forward. but he was just there to 'diagnose' and asess me, because he didn't have any availabilities for patients. so i got shipped over to this other guy, who was a resident therapist there, and I worked with him for 6 weeks of the 12 week program (this was last week) and then quit. i didn't want to just give up on therapy like i had in the past, but it just was not working, doing anything other than making me think about it more, and it wasn't doing me any good,and i got the very strong feeling that it wasn't going to do me any good, either. one thing about me is that above all else, I know myself.

I've been doing just fine without it, aside from a little episode on wednesday, but next week i have to go talk to the psychiatrist guy again for him to reasess. and i dont really know what to say to him, cause I know he's going to be dissapointed. another thing is that he put me on an antidepressant last summer, which was supposed to be used in combination with the comittment to therapy, and the medication has really done wonders for me. And now im really quite worried he's gonna take me off it.

I'm just kinda freaking out and wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation. thoughts?

BonBon is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Hugs Given By :
Old 15-12-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
Gone.

You know yourself best and, ultimately, it is your decision with how you commit to therapy and how you help yourself. If something isn't working for you and you don't believe it will do, it's up to you how you respond to that. Perhaps you could go back to the therapist and say that it isn't working. I've indirectly said that working with someone isn't happening before and they've responded to me quite well, especially considering how I said it! Usually, it makes people see how they can change things to best help you.

Therapy isn't for everyone. It's not going to be because everybody is different. The thing I'd say with therapy, however, is that it is going to be harder and it is going to unearth some painful memories that have previously been surpressed. I think that's partly the idea of therapy. Then, once the feelings and memories have resurfaced, you can work on analysing and targetting them.

With your psychiatrist, he might be disappointed, yes, but he shouldn't let that get in the way of how he helps you. He should respect your wishes and that you're your own person. With medication, tell him that it is helping you. Tell him what you have told us here in this thread because you articulate your case very well.

Good luck next week.

Take care.

Left.

Gone. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 08:55 PM   #3
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

I don't think he'll take you off the medication if it's working, even if you've stopped therapy. It might be worth asking him if he has any availabilities now, or explaining that you feel a direct approach would be more helpful, and if he could refer you to someone he knows who is more like that.

It doesn't matter where you come from; it matters where you go.
No-one gets remembered for the things they didn't do.
We won't all be here this time next year,
so while you can take a picture of us.
We're definitely going to hell,
but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

talaiporia is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)