RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 31-07-2018, 08:24 AM   #1
Lolimbi

Drinking and intrusive thought

So I know I shouldn’t get drunk, especially by myself because that’s when the intrusive thoughts of self harm enter my head. But I do because I want to be normal and I’m not ready to accept that I can’t drink and be like other people. I could be feeling completely fine and not sad at all but I’ll still have a thought or too that’s like “come one you know you want to do it no one will know” it’s makes me feel like an addict, which can be frustrating given that I’ve been clean for over a year. How do y’all deal with intrusive thoughts? I want them to be gone completely, and it’s frustrating that I might have to deal with these for the rest of my life?

Lolimbi is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Hugs Given By :
Old 01-08-2018, 08:26 PM   #2
Cpt_Stunning

I am currently:

It's all about breathing techniques, when you don't have enough fresh oxygen in your brain for it to function OK.

The problem is that your brain is the last place in your body to get oxygen, so it could take a while, deep relaxation. The problem is with alcohol is that it can mask the intrusive thoughts for a while, but not completely.

I think therefore I ambient.

Cpt_Stunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:34 PM   #3
justvisiting1219
Easymac

I am currently:

I plug in music, ideally something peppy and happy, or put on a show that's light hearted enough to keep me in a good mood but something I'm involved in enough to give me something to distract me. But I feel you and I'm sorry bud, keep it up! A year is awesome !!

"Life, uh, finds a way." - Jeff Goldblum

justvisiting1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:52 AM   #4
Auror.
Camden

Basically, I try to acknowledge them and accept them as they come and try to keep some distance from them. You can have a thought without giving it any power or weight. Which sounds hard and is a bit complicated at first and is a bit circular. But for example, if I am panicking, and I start thinking something like, "oh no I am panicking, I'm not supposed to be panicking," that is going to make it worse and likely make me panic even more. Where if I think something like, "oh no, I am panicking. Yup, this is happening, okay," I'm much more likely to be able to calm myself down. It's sort of about taking away the judgement associated with the thoughts and just acknowledging that yes the thoughts exist, and they can just come and go without you doing anything about them.

It's part of something called ACT if you want to have a google. One of the big things is cognitive defusion, and the biggest metaphor/thing we used for it is the leaves on a stream exercise. I think I've posted it on here before but may have deleted it.

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.

Auror. is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)