RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-08-2007, 05:56 AM   #1
sillystring

I am currently:
hiding scars for military physical?

Anyone got any tips on how to hide lots of scars from the military doctors when I go for the physical this Friday? I've got a lot, and some pretty big ones at that, so I'm guessing it's gonna be hard to hide it. They make you strip down to your undergarments, so hiding behind any sort of clothing isn't really an option.... I'm not even sure if I CAN hide it, and that's what is really scaring me... what should I say when they ask about them?

That's the only thing I'm worried about... the rest of the physical shouldn't be a problem. This guy I know, who is in charge of the Navy SEALS has complete confidence in me. In fact, he gave me this test today for their advanced programs to see if I could qualify for one of those (I wanna do nuclear), and he said that EVERYONE was incredibly impressed with how high I scored (I scored okay on the general test too- got a 96 out of 99, I don't know my exact score on the advanced programs test, other than it was higher than most people who take the test and high enough to have everyone talking about how impressed they were).

But me scoring well on that test is where a big problem comes in. If only I had screwed up on it and not done well enough to be able to get into the program I want, I could have stopped everything right here. Not worried about the physical. The physical is the last thing I have left to do. I can get thru it. I can exercise and have caffine to get my pulse into a normal level before they take my vitals. I know what to say and what not to say. But I'm clueless when it comes to what to say or do about the scars. And knowing that these stupid scars could be the one thing that keeps me from doing what I REALLY want to do, just makes me wanna cut more... but I know I can't cuz that'd create even more problems...

If you get rid of the pain before you have answered its questions, you get rid of the self along with it.
--Carl Jung

sillystring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 07:12 AM   #2
NoSanity
MizuNami

I am currently:

If they are old scars jsut say they are from your past..if they are fresh..that i dont know how to help with

MizuNami
Mustard Ninja Leader

NoSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 07:30 AM   #3
sillystring

I am currently:

most of them are old... there's only a few fresh ones. I started cutting really bad, and then it took a while to stop, but when I did I was able to go over a year without cutting... it had been a while, and I screwed up several times starting a little over a month ago, my old therapist left, transitioning to the new therapist was difficult, and I made some bad choices there... but I've adjusted now, and I still have the urges to cut but they're tolerable, to where I can fight them, I've got several action plans in place, and I should be okay from here on out... it's just explaining away the scars that is going to create some problems. :( I know I'll have to be confident and convincing, and not let the dr's scare me when they say anything about them, which will be hard, since I'm not comfortable with ANYONE seeing the scars to begin with.

If you get rid of the pain before you have answered its questions, you get rid of the self along with it.
--Carl Jung

Old 09-08-2007, 01:23 PM   #4
Nat
Face from the past

I am currently:

I dont think that you will be able to hide them but when and if the dr asks Id just be as truthful as you have been with us. Goodluck my thoughts are with you.
xxxxx

Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 05:12 PM   #5
ihatethereforeiam
Rosie

I am currently:

You could tell the truth, or make up some story about someone being very un-patriotic, and something about you defending your country, hence the scars. Or you could make up a better lie.
Good luck though.

Feel free to PM me any time; whether you want support or just a chat! x

"
She's been everybody else's girl
Maybe one day she'll be her own"

ihatethereforeiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:18 PM   #6
sillystring

I am currently:

Do I still have a chance of them accepting me if I tell them the truth? Otherwise, what would a good lie be? I've got scars on both arms, tho mostly noticeable on my left.... I usually tell people I was in a car accident and they usually don't ask anything else, but I don't know as tho that would work on the doctors. I hate lying... but you're sort of forced to sometimes... everyone is... like they say, "NO stands for Navy Opportunities"...

--Carl Jung

Old 09-08-2007, 09:53 PM   #7
Vampiric Addiction

I am currently:

I dont know what the forces are like there for accepting any kind of (what they see as) mental issues, so although it's not something I'd normally advocate, I'm thinking a little truth-camoflage might not be a bad idea here... :S

Vampiric Addiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:19 AM   #8
smurf1984
Josh, so confused it hurts

I am currently:

I'm sorry I haven't read all the replies, but as a serving member of the the forces in the UK, the last thing you should do is lie. They will almost certainly already know if they have your documents and the forces (in this country) anyway are more interested in where you are going then where you have been

smurf1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 01:59 AM   #9
emo123
trapped..in this thing you call life

I am currently:

use concealer
wut i do
shhhh dont tell my mum

bets of luk

emo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:01 AM   #10
sillystring

I am currently:

thanks for the replies. I'm super freaked out about this weekend... still trying to finish laundry so I can finish packing. I'm worried about the test tomorrow, and staying in the hotel in a city I hate tomorrow night, and having to be up at 3am the next day, and being in an unfamiliar place with unfamiliar people all on my own, and then seeing the dr's on saturday...

I still don't know what to tell them. The car ride tomorrow will be a good hour long at least, maybe two... and we HAVE to stop for lunch (another thing I'm stressed over). I'm being forced to eat, even tho I don't normally eat lunch anyway and I eat even less when I'm nervous. If I don't eat tho, this girl that's picking me up to take me there will get in trouble. Maybe during the couple hours we'll be spending together (it sounds like it'll be just the two of us, and I sort of hope it is), maybe I'll tell her about the cutting and how freaked out I am, and find out what she thinks I should do. She already knows about all the other stuff (well, not a lot... just little things like ADHD) that I'm "hiding" and on our way there I'm sure part of the discussion is going to be re-coaching me on what to say and what not to say...

--Carl Jung

Old 10-08-2007, 09:40 AM   #11
Angel_Girl
Polar Bear - you people are melting MY ICE!

I am currently:

I think the truth would be the best. Just tell them and add that you stopped and that it's not a problem anymore.

God made sure we'd meet.

Angel_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 03:02 PM   #12
LittleVampp
The Problem Is I'm Alive

I am currently:

Right I can tell you this.... The army or whatever can not refuse you if there is no documents saying you have a issue with your health.... Like meatel issues so on and so forth...... The trust would most likely be the best thing to do..... But if they ask any more about are you still doing it and stuff you can always say you are recoverying and everyone messes up and it going to take time..... but to try and cover them up if thats what you really want to do got to the British Red Cross and ask for skin camo and they will sort it out.... But I think its going to be the truth path

PM me if it dont make sense lol

Hehe My Multi coloured monkeys!!!
(Come to take over the world!!)
-
-
On The Onside Im Smiling
But Deep Down
I Am Crying My Heart Out!!

LittleVampp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 06:45 PM   #13
sillystring

I am currently:

I googled the skin camo stuff, it looks like it works really well... but I'm in the US :(

I think I need to tell this girl when she comes to pick me up, and see what she suggests. Maybe she'll know of some type of makeup that I can get, like something that normally covers up tattoos, I know we have to have SOMETHING here in the US that'll work... I just don't know what or where to get it :( I just need to cover them up WITHOUT it being noticeable that I'm covering them up (because them seeing that I'm trying to hide the scars would be much much worse than them just seeing the scars). I just want in the Navy soo bad. I got the scores to do the program I want. And I know no one will understand... but it's just, I know a lot of officers in the Navy who all really honestly believe in me, not just like an act they're pulling to pretend they believe in me to get me to join, but REALLY believe in me and that's something I've been wanting all my life. And it's just a place where I feel I can fit in, and have people be supportive, and really just feel good about myself.

--Carl Jung

Old 11-08-2007, 12:15 AM   #14
Illusion

I am currently:

Don't hide them. If you use concealer or something and it rubs off onto their hand while they're looking at you... they'll know you're trying to hide it and that'll look a lot worse. Just tell them the truth.

Or you could always use my old excuse: "I was rock climbing and I slipped against some rocks with no wrist protection".

Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:20 AM   #15
raistlin
Strong Survivor

I am currently:

I hope things work out okay. *hugs*

raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:33 AM   #16
starshine
completely broken and can't find my tape!

I am currently:

well hiding them........idk u can but im sure your smart enough to come up with some excuse!

GOOD LUCK!

(\__/)
(O.o )

(> < )
mr.bunny
IM SICK OF TRYING, TIRED OF CRYING,YEAH IM SMILING, BUT INSIDE IM DYING!

starshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 01:52 PM   #17
black_vortex

I am currently:

Hope all went well.

From what i know its very similar to trying to work in mental health. They dont mind if you have past issues, but wont accept you without proof/promise that you are fully over it. Like for mental health, having scars is fine, but you must not have harmed in a certain period of time. From previous times people on RYL have asked about the military, i believe it was a similar situation. But in this curcimstance, as usual, honesty is the best policy. Even if you cannot get in now, you can always work with yourself and try again later. If you want it badly enough, you'll manage and end up where you want to be.

Good luck. Take care.

~He accepts that ambiguity and compromise are a part of life, but he doesn’t necessarily like it. It’s not his way to dwell in gray areas, not to try and resolve complex situations. And yet, if he’s really honest with himself, this time he doesn’t care. He surrenders to what he wants, not what he must. ~

black_vortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 03:47 PM   #18
*unlovedmonkey*
Honesty. Honestly?.

I am currently:

let us know how you got on please and good luck

*unlovedmonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2007, 02:14 AM   #19
smurf1984
Josh, so confused it hurts

I am currently:

^^ I second that. Hope it went well. Lets us know

smurf1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2007, 03:27 AM   #20
Simply_Complex

I am currently:

I am in the process of enlisting in the Army. I too have extensive scars, and yes they make us strip down for the physical...I know I cannot hide mine and my recruiter already knows about them [they are on both my arms, and darn near impossible to hide without sleeves]. I haven't made it to MEPS yet, all I have done is taken my ASVAB. But my recruiter is having me collect my records, which sucks..but I was honest with him because I can't find any other way to explain it than psychologically. He is currently optimistic and so am I. I feel that I have time on my side.

Good Luck

"..Say what you will but I believe in moments like this, they make us matter.
Look in my eyes and tell me you don't believe that I'm right
"

Simply_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)