RYL Forums

Forum Jump

Old 25-08-2009, 07:06 AM   #1
cloverx3
what's in your head, zombie?

I am currently:
Wound Care Question - scarring

i gave myself a pretty nasty cut about 48 hours ago, i cleaned it with saline and have left it unbandaged. ik its probably going to scar pretty bad, but is there anything i can do to lessen the scarring. i heard retinol or cocoa butter can help. any suggestions/advice?

Old 25-08-2009, 07:40 AM   #2
froot_loop

I am currently:

things like cocoa butter and vitamin e can help, but be sure you wait until the wound is completely healed to start applying them...

"the opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference." - elie weisel

"the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing but burn, burn, burn like fabulous roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes 'awww'"
— jack kerouac

Old 25-08-2009, 06:31 PM   #3
Animad

Right at this moment in time, the best way to look after you cut properly, is to follow what is said in the wound care guide (though it is too late for you to steri-strip the wound closed now) or, if it hasn't scabbed over and is thoroughly cleaned beforehand you can also use hydrocolloid dressings, which keep the wound in the moist environment and reduce both the time it takes to heal and the scarring it leaves. These are relatively expensive but can be bought from pharmacies (boots/ superdrug stock them all the time, others may have to order them in) and each one can be used for up to 7days (and works best the longer it is used for) so at the end of the day it probably works out little difference than a normal dressing that you have to change more often. If you do use these and it starts to appear infected then stop using them.

Once it has healed, you can then go on to using Cocoa butter/vitamin E/Bio-oil. Aloe vera is also supposed to really really help reduce scarring if used in the very early stages of scar healing once the wound has fully healed over.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)