RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-03-2023, 03:03 AM   #1
dumpstergurl

I am currently:
I need advice

Hi everyone or anyone
I need advice. Like lots of people on here I am struggling with self harm and mental illness. My living situation is very complicated and I am trying to get into an intensive outpatient program. I recently got a therapist who I really like, she is trying to help me communicate my needs because my brain is like mush right now. I can't think or make decisions. I gave her release of information to speak to my mother about programs and how I can get help but she told my mom about my self harm. I know it was stupid to sign the ROI when I want to keep things from her, but I need help. I can't communicate for myself. I don't know how to go about it. My mom is nice and supportive, nothing seriously bad would happen if I told her the truth. She asked me about it and I didnt know what to do, I just denied it. I looked like an idiot because I was obviously lying about it. Im not wanting her to know that about me. I dont have anyone to talk to about this, I dont have friends or any support other than my therapists, I dont even know how to talk to her about this. Anyone with an opinion, please share. Im totally lost.

dumpstergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
One Hug Given By:
Old 03-03-2023, 08:07 PM   #2
Auror.
Camden

Hi,

Welcome to RYL. It sounds like maybe you are in the US, based on your spelling and terminology? Are you an adult or a minor? Guessing you are an adult based on needing to sign the ROI, but wanted to clarify to be sure.

Have you considered doing a session with your therapist and mom, so the three of you can all talk about things together? Therapist could help advocate for you and help you express your needs to your mom while also offering you support if that was something you were all comfortable with.

Also just a note that you can always amend ROIs to include things you don't want disclosed - for example, the self harm being one. You should be able to do this at any time, for any reason.

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.

Auror. is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)