RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-11-2011, 02:39 AM   #1
mbsnyc23

I am currently:
looking for support

I recently started therapy again and really want to overcome the addiction of bulimia. I want to have a family and I am scared that I won't be able to have a healthy child b/c of my purging. I have tried recovery before but here I am looking for help again. Would be great to hear positive things from other members on how to stop purging. Really determined to stop. Any positive words or tips would be great. Thanks so much.

mbsnyc23

mbsnyc23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:41 PM   #2
Rhea-Billie-Tate

I am currently:

I wish I had an easy solution I could offer you, purging is highly addictive and it's not an easy cycle to break free from but it is possible. I believe you have the best possible frame to work from, you have motivation and a desire for change, an incentive in wanting to be well enough to have children and support from a therapist. The things that have helped me to break out of these cycles have been having a plan and a list of distraction techniques to fall back on when you're struggling and support from other people, even if they aren't actually aware that they are doing anything. What sort of social support you're able to access is different for everyone, but when I'm struggling I try to make sure that I'm not alone for long periods of time and that I have people around me at meal times as much as possible so that it's not as easy for me to purge. Working through the things that trigger you to purge with you therapist can also help because it gives you some control over how you choose to react to those triggers and how you can minimise the effect they have over your behaviour.
Sorry I'm not able to offer anything very helpful right now, I just wanted you to know that I'm thinking of you and that it is possible to change your situation if you really want things to be different. Just keep remembering what you're fighting for and that it will be worth all the hard work getting there when you have taken back control of your life.

RBT x

I give myself very good advice
But I very seldom follow it
Could explain the trouble that I'm always in...

Rhea-Billie-Tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 05:42 PM   #3
mbsnyc23

I am currently:

Thanks, your words have helped me. I am trying to establish my triggers and deal with them with my therapist. I have been able to eat without purging for a few meals and I feel great about it. I want to continue so that I can overcome this addiction.

mbsnyc23

mbsnyc23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)