RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-04-2017, 08:28 PM   #1
Han7777777

I am currently:
Contains sexual abuse - What happens if you report a past rape to the police?

Does anyone have experience of reporting a rape to the police many years after it happened when they know the perpetrator?

What happens? (In the U.K.)

Thank you x

'I love you, O Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, in whom I take refuge, my sheild and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.'
Psalm 18:1-2

Han7777777 is offline   Reply With Quote
One Hug Given By:
Old 30-04-2017, 03:38 PM   #2
Amaryllis
Forum Mod

I am currently:

I am not in the UK, so others will certainly have better advice.

I believe they will certainly take a statement from you. They may not prosecute due to the time past or lack of evidence or both.

They may take the statement right away or they may schedule a time to give your statement. Sometimes people give their statement on video.

Good luck!

Men come and go, but dust accumulates.

Amaryllis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 07:50 PM   #3
Bellatrix
Voldemort's Bitch

I am currently:

It was a few years ago that I reported a rape that happened in the year + past so forgive me if this isn't up to date.

I rang

They sent two officers to talk to me and take my statement either on the same day or within a couple of days.

I was invited to go to the station to make a formal statement on video. I spoke to a special victims trained officer and the interview was recorded.

I was asked about the person that did it in detail (appearance, location, smells, tastes, etc)

They asked if i wanted to prosecute if they found him and said they would give me a call to follow up in two weeks, after that they would only call if they had an update in the case.

They referred me to rape crisis who dealt with my sexual health checks and offered counselling and emotional support both individual and group.

Sorry but i don't remember anything else. It's all a bit of a blur.

Imperfection is underrated.

Bellatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:01 PM   #4
Han7777777

I am currently:

Thank you both so much for replying.

Bellatrix, I'm so sorry that you have been through so much heart ache. I have seen some of your posts in the different forums and my heart breaks for you.

If you're happy to answer, I have a few more questions, but only answer if you feel it won't trigger you or be upsetting.

Did you report it immediately after it happened? If not, how long had passed?
Did you know the name of the perpetrator? If you did, would the police have to arrest them or is that decision down to you?

I was raped 10 years ago... I can't believe its been that long... anyway, I am considering reporting it for my own recovery. I feel like it might bring me some peace. The person who raped me was my boyfriend at the time and I didn't realise that you can still be raped if you are in a relationship with someone and so it wasn't until I started to have panic attacks and struggle with intimacy that I started to process what happened. I was seeing a therapist at the time who explained that what happened was rape. So, because of the situation, I can tell the police who it was, but I don't want them to take it any further. Is it possible to do that?

Thank you so much xxx

'I love you, O Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, in whom I take refuge, my sheild and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.'
Psalm 18:1-2

Han7777777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:01 PM   #5
Bellatrix
Voldemort's Bitch

I am currently:

It was around two or three years before I reported.

I didn't know his name - I was manic at the time.

If you tell the police you don't want to press charges they won't. But if they have his name he would flag as a person of interest if any similar claims are made.

Imperfection is underrated.

Bellatrix is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)