RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 18-07-2009, 09:24 PM   #1
StaySeaKay

I am currently:
A habit or addiction

i have been harming for about 12 years now. its very much gone down to the point where i can go a few months without it. i have even gone for more than a year on more than one occasion. but why do i keep going back? i know it does not help me. and it really does not have the same effect as it used to, but still i crave it. i feel like its something that i need, to make myself feel 'better'. It feels so wrong, but so right at the same time. Has it become part of my identity now? is it ingrained on to my brain? For me it very much feels like an addiction.

what do you guys think? how do you relate? does anyone feel the same?

StaySeaKay is offline   Reply With Quote
One Hug Given By:
Old 19-07-2009, 05:33 AM   #2
Sadiew
Du bist nicht allein. You are not alone.

I am currently:

I can definitely say that I feel the same a lot, about most everything you've described. I often wonder if it's an addiction or a very hard habit to break. And I've gone for a while without cutting (6 months+) only to fall back, so I understand how frustrating that is. As I understand it, it's possible to become addicted to the endorphines released during self-harm that can make you feel great and give you a rush or "high". More likely you have become "addicted" (I think this is debated) to the psychological release of it, of how good it makes you feel in that instant. it's hard to not do something when you know it can make everything feel so much better, just like that. even if it does hurt you in the long run. I don't think it's ingrained in your brain in the sense that you can't break it, like it's become a part of your biological make-up, like your eye color. But, if it's something you've been doing for 12 years it's just like any long-time habit you've formed, except that this gives you more release than most things. Not invalidating how hard it is for you to stop, I definitely get that. I'm just saying that you can still beat it. As for part of your identitiy, that depends on how you see it. Do you see it as part of you, do you identify yourself as a cutter, etc. If you keep coming back it's because you still don't have healthy ways of dealing with your emotions and coping in other ways if you still hurt yourself. Motivation can help you so much, but without other methods in place they will do you little good. I know it's a cliche, but maybe you could consider seeing a counselor? He/she could help you figure out other methods of coping and help you lessen your urge to self-harm. Hope something here helps you (sorry for ranting ^^), if you need anything at all pm me. take care.

- Judge someone not by how they treat their equals but by how they treat their inferiors. -

- Light a man a fire, warm him for a day. Light a man on fire, warm him for the rest of his life. -

Warum schreist du nicht? Warum verschenkst du dich? Warum qualst du dich? Wenn der Regnet fellt weist du es.

Sadiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009, 09:23 AM   #3
AutumnMoon
Jodie

I am currently:

I think it's a little of both... a habit to fall onto if things/emotions are tough, and an addiction because of the "quick fix" it can provide...

Take care

xx

AutumnMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009, 10:07 AM   #4
Animad

I've got a feeling it probably depends who you are. For some people they get into it, they then struggle to stop but after a while of not doing it it doesn't bother them; I believe they've more just got into the habit of doing it. I on the otherhand have now not cut for a year. I am still struggling with it everyday, several times a day and I don't want to do it but at the same time it's all I want. I've felt for a long time, since I first started doing it pretty much that I was addicted and one of my mates compares how I am with an alcoholic in terms of if I slip up, I personally am likely to be straight back into it which is a bit scary when I know one day down the line I will do. Though I know others who will cut every now and again and then don't bother for a while and it doesn't bother them, they don't miss it or anything

Animad is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)