RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-11-2021, 07:28 PM   #1
CatFairy

I am currently:
Contains sexual abuse - How do you deal with self hate

So i was abused as a teenager by my father. As a result of doing DBT it has come to my attention i hate myself. Like i am totally uncomfortable and discusted by myself and my body. I feel tainted and broken. My one to one therapist thought it would be a good idea to reach out to others to see how they delt with it. so here i am. Wondering if any of you had any suggestions on how to constructively cope/deal with this. Thanks in advance.

CatFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:04 PM   #2
Auror.
Camden

In general, I found going from such negativity to positivity/acceptance to be impossible. I try to aim for neutrality instead. So instead of trying to be like, "I love myself" it's more just, "yes I exist and I have a body and I am not horrible." So that also means like, I can take care of myself because my body is a thing I posses and use, just like I would take care of any of my other possessions.

A lot of stuff about neutrality does gear towards body and eating disorder specific stuff so I don't want to link to it directly. But here's a quote I did find:

"Body neutrality promotes accepting your body as is and recognizing its remarkable abilities and non-physical characteristics instead of the physical appearance.

Body neutrality means taking a neutral perspective towards your body, meaning that you do not have to cultivate a love for your body or feel that you have to love your body every day. You may not always love your body, but you may still live happily and appreciate everything your body can do.

For example, your body can run, ski, carry bags of groceries, give hugs to loved ones, birth a child, and take you to many places around the world. Your body can do amazing things!"

Here's another bit that explains the difference between body positivity and neutrality:
Body Positivity:
-Promotes strong self-esteem
-Encourages others to love their body
-Encourages others to care for their body

Body Neutrality:
-Emphasizes what your body can do
-Encourages mindfulness
-Focuses on the body as a vessel rather than what it looks like

I would guess the mindfulness aspect of it could even be tied into some of the DBT stuff you are doing.

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.

Auror. is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)