RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 25-09-2023, 02:08 AM   #1
Darkwings44
*super hugs you all*

I am currently:
Food?

Um??? can a person send another person food if that person lives very far away?
Like from Texas to Canada?

just another floating iceberg in this ocean we call life...….

Am I a failure from birth
Is misery what I deserve
Am I just so void of love
That I'm never good, never good enough
~citizen soldier-never good enough

Darkwings44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2023, 04:23 AM   #2
The Worst Witch

I am currently:

I strongly advise you against doing this. You don’t know if the person you’re talking to is telling the truth, and it is NOT your responsibility to feed someone else. I also strongly advise against sending any money to this person.

Not everyone is your friend. Scammers exist (as you’ll know from this website, they get banned by the mods). The internet is a dangerous place, and you are very vulnerable and easy to manipulate because of your situation. The best thing you can do is tell your support worker/therapist what is going on with your friend, as if they really are struggling for food they will be able to help your friend as they will know the appropriate avenues to go through to help this person.

The Worst Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2023, 02:10 PM   #3
Darkwings44
*super hugs you all*

I am currently:

I don’t think it’s that but you could be right but I met her online only and she is so nice and kind and supportive and understanding so I want to show her how much she means to me and to show her how much I appreciate her

Is misery what I deserve

Old 25-09-2023, 03:15 PM   #4
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:

Many websites including this one have a no asking for money rule. It's for a good reason. Others have given great advice. I was once on a website many years ago where someone claimed that they could only afford ramen. Many people donated and they spent the money on ebay. Like others have said scammers exist. If they're a genuine friend they'll understand why you decline and still carry on talking to you. If they block you then they weren't genuine. You can still be friends without giving gifts which seems to be the case here rather than an out and out request for money/food.

If you're determined to give something then a letter/greetings card with a heartfelt message would mean a lot to them if they're genuine. I know when people have given me a card it meant more to me than a gift.

Last edited by not_so_insig : 25-09-2023 at 03:32 PM.

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

not_so_insig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2023, 05:13 PM   #5
Auror.
Camden

Logistically it can be very tricky and expensive to send food internationally, and that's if it's doesn't get flagged by customs. Aside from that, the length of time it takes to ship internationally on top of the rough handling and fluctuating temperatures would mean most food wouldn't even survive the journey safely.

So aside from other reasons mentioned, not a good idea. Perhaps if this person is struggling to afford food you can help them look up local resources in their own community.

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.

Auror. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2023, 07:07 PM   #6
nonperson

I am currently:

Am I missing something here? Darkwings only wants to send a thoughtful gift to a friend she met online? That doesn't sound like something sinister.

You could order something online from a place that is local to them and then it would avoid sending an actual package and all the complications associated with sending that to a different country.

nonperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2023, 01:26 AM   #7
Auror.
Camden

So also just thinking about this again - canadian currency is different and with a different exchange rate to US dollars. so if you do choose to order something local to them, make sure you understand the conversion to know how much you are spending, and make sure you know what your bank/credit card would charge for it, as often there is also a conversion fee.

honestly it sounds like your best bet will either be to send something small like a card or letter if you definitely want to send something. that will also be the cheapest option if you're wanting something not virtual.

also maybe consider asking your therapist or case worker, or some other trusted human if this seems like a safe human to be sharing your full name and address with.

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.

Auror. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2023, 11:54 PM   #8
Darkwings44
*super hugs you all*

I am currently:

Sorry I haven’t been able to answer much but Ive been thinking about it and I decided to not send my friend food because I have no idea what It is going to cost and how the food would be like for her given the long time traveling to Canada

Is misery what I deserve

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)