RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2010, 04:32 AM   #1
Isoverity

I am currently:
The Craziest Thing About D-Day..

I thought British, Canadian and US soldiers landing on a beach from the water, or in field from the air - while being shot at - was pretty intense. But some soldiers had to climb 100 ft cliffs at Point du Hoc using rope ladders while being shot at from above (the result being a 50% casualty rate). I find that quite amazing - nuts actually. If you ever been on a rope ladder you know what I mean.

66 yrs ago today

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:37 AM   #2
Isoverity

I am currently:

Pretty place when it's quiet lol

Old 07-06-2010, 09:17 AM   #3
Lou Lou
hell on high heels

I am currently:

whoa! It makes my stomach hurt to think of how utterly terrifying it must have been for those soldiers.
Imagine landing on those beaches and watching everyone around you getting pelted with bullets and wondering whether you would even make it off your boat...let alone up a cliff. *shudders*

When the world says give up
Hope whispers try one more time

Lou Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:04 PM   #4
Hector

I am currently:

Im not to sure why your pointing out Point du Hoc over the others. It was awful i imagine on every beach wether they landed or or had to climb. However yes it must have been awful. And disapointing for the men who climbed the cliffs only to discover the guns theys were sent to capture werent there.

Hector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
crazykat
Fight for another day

Wow it must have been scary for them

"Recovery is something that you have to work
on every single day and it's
something that doesn't
get a day off."

crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:03 PM   #6
Hector

I am currently:

For sure.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:26 PM   #7
Isoverity

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector View Post
Im not to sure why your pointing out Point du Hoc over the others. It was awful i imagine on every beach wether they landed or or had to climb. However yes it must have been awful. And disapointing for the men who climbed the cliffs only to discover the guns theys were sent to capture werent there.
Commanding officers actually knew the guns had been moved but the concrete fortifications were still intact and artillery could have been moved back into place - so the fortifications were still a desired capture point. Indeed the Nazi's tried hard to reclaim the point. After 2 days only 90 of the 225 guys who climbs cliff were standing.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:29 PM   #8
Hector

I am currently:

Indeed it was ceertainly a brave thing to do. As was every other battle that happended that day.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:37 PM   #9
Isoverity

I am currently:

I'm sorry you think I was diminishing anyone. Insecure much?

Old 07-06-2010, 04:41 PM   #10
Hector

I am currently:

Its not that, i just think everyone on that day did alot of very brave things. Asking me if im insecure seems slightly childish i didnt mean to come across as trying to start an arguemnt. Im just very passionate about my history.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:10 PM   #11
Isoverity

I am currently:

I said everyone was brave - that's a given. However Hitler considered Point du Hoc impenetrable and the mission to go up the cliffs was considered suicidal. Indeed the original commander of the mission ( Major Cleveland A. Lytle) was relieved of duty at the last minute after Free French told the guns had been moved and Lytle called mission suicidal (and he was probably right). Everyone was brave but some went into battle with more difficult tasks and worse odds. Climbing the equivalent of a 10 story building on a flimsy rope ladder with an uncertain anchor point and with people shooting at you was not a job for everyone. Not every group took over 50% casualties - especially knowing casualties would be that high.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:51 PM   #12
Hector

I am currently:

True enough.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:07 PM   #13
Isoverity

I am currently:

I should add I am impressed you know some details about D-Day. I think it it weren't for some movies and video games the day would be forgotten. Of course it was a long time ago and such things naturally recede from more distant generations.

But - just yesterday I was reading about a youth football league where if a team gets more than a 5 goal lead over another team they automatically lose - that is the winning team gets called the loser for scoring too may points. With such soft protection from a trifle like a lost game I don't know if countries today could pull off a D-Day if they had to. I really don't.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:38 PM   #14
BunnythesAINT
Confused.

I am currently:

Holy, that's scary to think about! We had a mini-conversation about D-Day in one of my classes today because my teacher was talking about Ernest Hemingway and wasn't one of his wives there? Something like that.

Let's put a smile on that face

We are not alone
Find out when your cover's blown
There'll be somebody there to break your fall
We are not alone
'Cause when you cut down to the bone
We're really not so different after all

RACHEL!!

BunnythesAINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:50 PM   #15
Hector

I am currently:

Why was his wife there? And thankyou for the compliment, I am very much into my history.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:24 PM   #16
Isoverity

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnythesAINT View Post
Holy, that's scary to think about! We had a mini-conversation about D-Day in one of my classes today because my teacher was talking about Ernest Hemingway and wasn't one of his wives there? Something like that.

His (third) wife was a war correspondent for 60 years - including all of WWII

Martha Gellhorn
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martha_Gellhorn

Old 08-06-2010, 10:35 PM   #17
Scumbelina

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoverity View Post
Pretty place when it's quiet lol

It's a stringray

Scumbelina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:54 PM   #18
Hector

I am currently:

Ah ok :). I figured she must have been somthing like that. I dont know if its true but the 29th infantry div. were picked to land at omaha beach because they were fresh from traininng and the allies wanted fresh troops who didnt really know about the risks involved so that they would take more chances. Where as veterans would be alot more weary.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:19 AM   #19
Harley's Dad

The overall plan for D-Day was devised by a British General named Morgan, supported no doubt by considerable numbers of US, Canadian and other British officers - it was very much a joint allied effort. The immensely complicated naval plans were the responsibility of Admiral Sir Bertram Ramsay, C-in-C Channel (I was at Sandhurst with his son, long after the war), also of course very much a joint effort.

At this distance and with the easy benefit of hindsight, I cannot imagine how Omaha beach was included in the overall plan in view of the fields of fire afforded to the Germans by the terrain. But presumably it was felt that all five beaches had to be mutually supporting so that the whole invasion force could link up as soon as possible after H-Hour. Whatever the reason, there is no doubt that the US forces on Omaha got by far the most testing job and at one stage they were almost pushed back into the sea. But they prevailed with great gallantry and, despite by far the greatest casualties suffered on any of the beaches, they eventually got ashore.

By contrast, the US forces on Utah beach, a relatively few miles to the west, suffered probably the fewest casualties of any of the assaulting divisions.

Early in the planning Montgomery, who was to command the whole land battle in the early stages, insisted on the initial assault being made by (I think) six rather than four divisions, which clearly turned out to be a good decision. But Monty was an egotistical and obnoxious little man who later caused deep offence in his relationship with the Americans who soon were to provide the major effort in the subsequent advance. (In 1969, when I was at the Army Staff College, he lectured the course, by invitation, for the last time - he was then about 80. He was just as conceited and just as unpleasant, insulting the only Swedish officer on the course in a totally unnecessary way during questions).

But D-Day was a massive achievement overall and a huge credit to all those involved. And it brought peace to Western Europe.

Tony.

Never surrender.

Harley's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:48 AM   #20
Isoverity

I am currently:

Tony did you ever see Band of Brothers? It was a 6 part series made by Steven Spielberg Tom Hanks with BBC as co-production partner ( paid £7 million the most it had ever paid for a bought-in program)

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)