RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Closed Thread

Old 21-04-2009, 11:12 PM   #1
[pretty on the inside]

I am currently:
Possible Changes to the ED Board - A Summary

I thought it would be useful to sum up the changes we could possibly make in order to make people suffering from BED/COE feel more comfortable posting in the ED forum.
Seeing as we can't have a subforum right now, we need to be discussing things that we can do in the mean-time in order to move forward.

Someone's suggestions:
Quote:
MY SUGGESTIONS FOR MAKING THE ED BOARD MORE WELCOMING WITH OUT HAVING A SUBFORUM-
1. Ban anyone from saying they are fat/overweight in thread titles.
[2. was decided against in the other thread]
3. Allow weight loss/restricting tips for posts made by people on the COE/Binge Eating end of the spectrum.
4. Add at least one mod with COE/Binge Eating to that forum.
5. Revise the current trigger warnings so that people will know what ED is being discussed.
It has also been suggested:
-That we have a healthy recipe sticky
If we do go ahead with the healthy recipe sticky, it may need trigger warnings. The word "healthy" implies that a good diet should contain everything in moderation.
-That we update the current stickies to provide more information on COE/BED and other less common EDs
-That we change the trigger labels to prevent people from being triggered
-That we have a 'group therapy' thread:
Quote:
I wonder whether it would be possible to have a group therapy type thread, to discuss coping with various life dramas that people often use food for such as exam pressure, having it open for a few days/weekend and a new topic every month or so.

Last edited by [pretty on the inside] : 28-04-2009 at 06:17 PM.

xKaylx

Old 21-04-2009, 11:14 PM   #2
Sometimes Crazy
Left.

I like these ideas, except 3, because it could be a bit difficult to monitor how/where these tips would be used and if they could be mis-used. Though I guess that's down to the individual. But yeah, I like these ideas :)

So you found a girl
That thinks really deep thoughts
What's so amazing
About really deep thoughts?

Old 21-04-2009, 11:18 PM   #3
shadow-light
He was no dragon. Fire cannot kill a dragon

I am currently:

Quote:
2. Put a limit on the number of new posts that can be made each day so that posts won't get lost as easy and the COE/Binge Eating posts won't get pushed aside simply because they are outnumbered.
that is the only one I disagree with

Old 21-04-2009, 11:22 PM   #4
Casper_Fading
It's okay. I have a supersoaker.

I am currently:

I'm just going to post in here what I posted in the other trhead:

I don't think rule changes would help. I think that for those of us who want/need this sub-forum, we can just wait for harley to return. We've done without it till now. We don't want the ed board changed even more which has the possibility of shutting out people who DO use it.

Thats the problem. We're not shouting you down or ignoring you. But changing the rules isn't going to help. The ed board is it's own culture. Changing the rule is just going to **** it around for those who already use it. We can wait until Harley comes back for a subforum. But changing the rules just isn't going to make any difference.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

- Dr. Seuss

Old 21-04-2009, 11:27 PM   #5
[pretty on the inside]

I am currently:

Quote:
I think we should put more information and things in anyway, and try to make the current ED more welcoming - if not for the people in this thread, maybe for newcomers who come bfore the subforum has the chance to be created.
Also, I see no problem with trying the new rules as a trial - they're mostly hassle free for people that already use the board, and who knows, they may make a difference.

I think people have already argued against no.2, but I couldn't find what people had said in amongst the many pages of the thread! I was pretty sure re: no.3 that tips on losing weight healthily are allowed? But I might be mistaken.

xKaylx

Old 21-04-2009, 11:32 PM   #6
Casper_Fading

I am currently:

Trial the new rules for all you want. But, please, don't make it like you're trying to fix it for those of us who want a sub forum. All that's doing is showing that you've not listened to anything any of us have said. You've decided that your way is the right way and completly ignored what we have said.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

- Dr. Seuss

Old 21-04-2009, 11:32 PM   #7
shadow-light

I am currently:

ye for number 3 they obviously need to be health weight loss tips...

Old 21-04-2009, 11:34 PM   #8
Casper_Fading

I am currently:

and you say we're ignoring you? wtf is the point.

- Dr. Seuss

Old 21-04-2009, 11:41 PM   #9
Acrasia

Don't involve people with COE/BED who want the sub-forum into this conversation please.

We've already said, numerous times on the other thread, that we all feel nothing would benefit us RE: rule changes.

If you want to add or change current rules on the current ED board, go ahead, but please don't make us the main focus because we've already stressed it won't help us.

Thankyou.

Old 21-04-2009, 11:48 PM   #10
[pretty on the inside]

I am currently:

If you don't want to be involved in the discussion, fine - don't post. I just wanted a thread to discuss some of these points where people aren't having constant bickering arguments, because (I think) some of the points that have been raised are actually good ideas.

Maybe it won't make you people post, you have made that clear, fine. However if we make it a more welcoming place in general then perhaps other users will feel comfortable enough to post.

xKaylx

Old 21-04-2009, 11:55 PM   #11
x_Electrify

I am currently:

Limiting the number of posts a day might stop someone getting help who really needs it at the time, and let other people fill the boards with the same/generic threads. That's the only one I really diagree with. And i'm not even sure how you'd implement it.

Hindsight is a rather beautiful thing...

Old 21-04-2009, 11:59 PM   #12
[pretty on the inside]

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_Electrify View Post
Limiting the number of posts a day might stop someone getting help who really needs it at the time, and let other people fill the boards with the same/generic threads. That's the only one I really diagree with. And i'm not even sure how you'd implement it.
I think we ruled that one out in the other thread.. I only quoted the original suggestions, sorry..

I would really like to see the healthy recipe sticky though. We had a load of healthy recipes on v2 (I think) which I used to go on and try from time to time.

xKaylx

Old 22-04-2009, 12:07 AM   #13
rowena
*blink blink*

I am currently:

I want my name taken off the list of suggestions. I made them when I thought that there was a chance that it would be possible to work things out to make things better, I've since seen behavior that has convinced me otherwise and I no longer believe that any kind of change to the ED Board is going to help.

Princessess Don't Stomp

Old 22-04-2009, 12:12 AM   #14
[pretty on the inside]

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowena View Post
I want my name taken off the list of suggestions. I made them when I thought that there was a chance that it would be possible to work things out to make things better, I've since seen behavior that has convinced me otherwise and I no longer believe that any kind of change to the ED Board is going to help.
Edited, although it does seem a little petty.
I'm only posting a list of suggestions. If you must throw abuse at me, use the other thread so that people can at least use this thread to talk about whether they think any of these points would be good changes or not.

xKaylx

Old 22-04-2009, 12:16 AM   #15
Acrasia

Wtf? How was she throwing abuse at you? All she asked was for her name to be removed.
Plucking things out of thin air again. Jeesh.

Old 22-04-2009, 12:16 AM   #16
griddlebone
Head of Chat/Forum Mod.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by [pretty on the inside] View Post
Edited, although it does seem a little petty.
I'm only posting a list of suggestions. If you must throw abuse at me, use the other thread so that people can at least use this thread to talk about whether they think any of these points would be good changes or not.
I would really like you to explain how shes 'throwing abuse at you'

There are times to stay put, and what you want will come to you.
But there are times to go out into the world and find such a thing for yourself.
I aint no abacus but you can count on me.

Old 22-04-2009, 12:18 AM   #17
rowena
*blink blink*

I am currently:

Believe me, you would know if I was "throwing abuse at you". Also, thank you for taking my name down so quickly.

Princessess Don't Stomp

Old 22-04-2009, 12:20 AM   #18
[Purple_Rain]
Forum Mod

I am currently:

Someone's suggestions:

Quote:

MY SUGGESTIONS FOR MAKING THE ED BOARD MORE WELCOMING WITH OUT HAVING A SUBFORUM-
1. Ban anyone from saying they are fat/overweight.
[2. was decided against in the other thread]
3. Allow weight loss/restricting tips for posts made by people on the COE/Binge Eating end of the spectrum.
4. Add at least one mod with COE/Binge Eating to that forum.
5. Revise the current trigger warnings so that people will know what ED is being discussed.

I personally don't belive this ideas would work, or be a positive change. Bannign someone from sayign they're fat/overweight, while i can see some minor benifits (liek people who are underweight saying they ARE fat, i'd much rather they say they FEEL fat to be hoenst) is a bit over the top, and would be the same as banning someone from sayign they're underweight/skinny, but wewoudltn do that, would we?
Weight loss tips for peopel with BED/COE is fine i think if its done healthily and not forced on them. the idea of giving someone 'restricting' tips made me think of pro-ana.
We currently have a large numebr of ED mods, and mods in general. I think currently at least 2 of our mods have said they have BED/COE like issues, if not the illness themselves, and I personally also have done in the past. What do people think haveing a BED/COE mod would solve?
I dont think mroe trigger labels are needed, it over-compicates things.

It has also been suggested:
-That we have a healthy recipe sticky
-That we update the current stickies to provide more information on COE/BED and other less common EDs
-That we change the trigger labels to prevent people from being triggered
-That we have a 'group therapy' thread:

I liek the idea of a healthy recipe thread, as that could be good for anyoen with any ED.
I have commented on the other thread, the stickies are beign updated, slowly.

Quote:

I wonder whether it would be possible to have a group therapy type thread, to discuss coping with various life dramas that people often use food for such as exam pressure, having it open for a few days/weekend and a new topic every month or so.

I like this idea, as long as it was completely un-focused on food. As in, peopel didnt say a word about wether they restricted or binged becuase of something, but talked soley about that something.

just my oppinion.

"I would be almighty in my own world of art, even if I had to paint my pictures with my wet tongue on the dusty floor of my cell." -Picasso
"No, painting is not done to decorate apartments. It is an instrument of war." - Picasso

'I have scars becuase I have a past; but they, like my past, do not define my future'

Old 22-04-2009, 12:22 AM   #19
shadow-light

I am currently:

can we try not to end up with 2 threads of arguments?

even if the original people who suggested these don't think they are useful anymore... I do... and I'm currently a person who feels uncomfortable in the ED board... so if it makes me feel batter surely it will make a few others do so too?

Old 22-04-2009, 12:52 AM   #20
Crumple...
in an ocean that is churning

Why is there another thread for this? the other one was fine. There is no need for this thread.
And the onyl change that s going to work to include everyone in he ED board is a subforum.
Which we can't have without Harley. This has already been agreed on.
Jesus.

How many ticks left in that clockwork heart?

Closed Thread

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)