RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-12-2014, 10:10 PM   #1
wi-nter

I am currently:
One Direction

oh god i am so obsessed????

anyone else here who shares my ridiculous obsession with these boys? it's okay if not would be awesome though if someone did.

pain breeds wolves
joys give rise to moons

wi-nter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:24 PM   #2
chopingirl1810

I am currently:

I absolutely LOVE One Direction!! :D I have been a fan of them since early 2012. i have their perfume, posters, school supplies, etc...... it's almost unhealthy. I love our hilarious fandom too :)

"Mistakes and failures are great teachers. They provide the opportunity to learn and grow stronger, and more capable. The only ones who never fail, are those who never try."

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Thoreau

"I can't rewrite what's already perfect."--Amadeus, the Movie

chopingirl1810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:16 AM   #3
Morpheus

Im too old for that kind of nonesense :p

Truthfully, i was never into boybands /girlbands etc like that or the type of music. Also feel like its more about looks and youth and that kind of stuff and not the music. But thats just me. For me, when you hear more about who they are dating, what they are wearing and so on than the music they make, then theres a problem.

Just very far from what i usually like musical wise as well.

Honest question and no insult intended or anything, but do they write their own music or are they simply performers like so many others with people behind them doing the songwriting/composing/playing an instrument? You cant take for granted that "musicians" can actually play an instrument and write lyrics these days im afraid.
From what i can understand this is not much different from beyonce, rhianna, other boybands (elvis :p) etc. When it comes to that but i cant say for sure and im curious.
Personally, i think if you are living of music and as a performing artist, you should also know how to make it. Not solely rely on having talented people behind you to do so and then perform whatever someone else made that they would sell to another artist if you are not interested, but i think thats probably a rare opinion these days. Hence me being too old ;)

Also find it hard to understand the obsessive nature that surrounds certain groups/artists. Be it any genre. I am a big fan if certain musicians but never to the degree of beliebers, one direction fans etc. I mainly care about music, creativity, talents. not their personal lives which leads me back to the point of thinking its far too less about the music artists make and far too much about their personal lives which i have no interest in unless it affects the music they make.

Im probably just an old and bitter fart but i grew up when boybands were very popular and never really liked or understood it. I preferred the music my father listened to from his youth, to backstreet boys that my sister liked. Ive heard one direction and seen them in tv shows but i cant actually remember a single song of theirs and they made no impression at all. I find it hard to see what all rhe fuss is about.

Last edited by Morpheus : 11-12-2014 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Typos, on my phone

Den fuldkomne kærlighed,
Kan ikke eksistere blandt ufuldkomne

Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:29 AM   #4
Enthused
In a warm place

I am currently:

Would pay a lot of money to punch Harry Styles in the face.

Enthused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:30 AM   #5
wi-nter

I am currently:

^ one direction is a boyband. a boyband formed and promoted by a casting show. we, as fans, are very aware of that and are very aware of what their job as a boyband entails. it's different than other bands. trust me i know the music i usually listen to is by bands most people i talk to havent een heard about, most of them dont even actively make music anymore. and they rarely ever even give concerts where i live so it's tough. one direction is different and yes i don't like the hype and the screaming that comes alog with them either because essentially i am here for the music and their cuteness i'm not gonna lie.
i think what makes them so attractive is their charm and how cute they all are and that somehow i think most of us think we could be friends with them in another universe. they are incredibly entertaining and i gotta say if you don't really want that kinda life you wouldn't be there. and the boys are doing an incredible job of dealig with all the hype and attention. it must be awful to travel so much and to never ever have privacy. but they love what theyre doing and they love their fans so good for them <3
they have been writing a lot of their stuff actually. louis and liam helped massively with the latest album and all but one song was written with at least one of the boys help. the lyrics are mostly the boys too. so the fact that they dont play an instrument and are not he kind of original band people like is something i can totally live with. they have amazing voices and their stuff is good, it's getting better. i usually dont listen to that kinda music, more of an alternative rock fan myself, but four is a superb album. you should give it a try it's genuinely good.

ps: i am old too, i am way too old to be in this fandom but hey no shame. (:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopingirl1810 View Post
I absolutely LOVE One Direction!! :D I have been a fan of them since early 2012. i have their perfume, posters, school supplies, etc...... it's almost unhealthy. I love our hilarious fandom too :)
yay. i am not "new" to the fandom but I guess you would call me "new" to the fandom. i have known the boys for quite a while but i didn't really get into any of their music or the fandom before my sister started getting obsessed which was around two years ago. she gave me the albums and i started listening to it and then went to a concert this july. and then the four promo started and i somehow got pulled into all the madness on tumblr and now i am watching interviews and reading fanfiction and its bad. we just got tickets for one of their concerts in london next year. INSANE. apparently they are all sold out so we are extra excited. are you going to any concerts? how do you like the new album?

pain breeds wolves
joys give rise to moons

Old 11-12-2014, 10:33 AM   #6
wi-nter

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthused View Post
Would pay a lot of money to punch Harry Styles in the face.
why would you say that?

(i have this theory that people who say things like that about harry styles have actually NO idea who he is. and i am not saying i do because obviously i don't but like have you LISTENED to harry styles??? have you heard what that boy is about? because i can bet you a million dollars that you haven't. or you wouldn't say things like that. harry styles couldn't hurt a fly. harry styles would apologize to you if you spilled juice on his new shirt. he is a ray of sunshine. he is as good as they come. )

mission in life: protect harry styles at all costs.

pain breeds wolves
joys give rise to moons

Old 11-12-2014, 10:37 AM   #7
Enthused
In a warm place

I am currently:

I have seen interviews and stuff with him as the missus watches all the music channels that plays that kind of stuff. He comes off as really arrogant to me. I really am a music snob though and the fact they haven't worked for their fame by gigging and touring but due to a tv show grates me a lot. They will be forgotten in 20 years time.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:38 AM   #8
Enthused
In a warm place

I am currently:

Obviously you can enjoy what you like though! I just hate manufactured pop bands that have no substance.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:46 AM   #9
wi-nter

I am currently:

i wonder why he comes off as arrogant though? is it because he talks really slowly and always ponders what he will say next?

in 20 years time? you mean like the beatles have been forgotten? the biggest boyband of all time ;)

the thing is as much as people hate boybands they will always stick around. they will have fans in 20, 30, hell 50 years. the backstreet boys toured again like last year. that alone should be prove these bands never really go away as much as some people want them too. manufactured or not, they have worked for their success. they might have never met or been put together without the show but that's like saying that if jennifer aniston hadn't landed the role on friends in the 90s, she would have never made a tons of (excuse me but terrible) hollywood romantic comedies that earn her millions a year.
it's not that i am saying everyone has to like one direction. obviously they don't i mean it would be hella boring if everyone liked the same stuff but it rubs me the wrong way when people don't acknowledge that these boys worked hard and work hard every day to be where they are now and i can only guess that it's not fun to tour the world every single year and bring out a new album because managements wants you to EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR.

pain breeds wolves
joys give rise to moons

Old 11-12-2014, 10:56 AM   #10
Enthused
In a warm place

I am currently:

The Beatles were game changing though. One Direction are not. I just want to know why people become obsessed with these types of bands? I doubt they write their own songs and arguably rip off other songs (The Best Song Ever being stupidly close to sounding like The Who - Baba O'Riley) Is it because they are marketed well?

P.S I don't mean this to come off as me being horrible I'd just like to know why people get obsessed over boybands and the like.

Last edited by Enthused : 11-12-2014 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:14 PM   #11
--------------------

I am currently:

I don't care much about the band but they have some good songs. Though they don't write their own songs, apparently Mcfly have written a few of their songs.

-------------------- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 01:32 PM   #12
zombiehunter
thinking

I am currently:

I cant stand them, I'm a metalhead though so it probably goes without saying that I cant stand all that manufactured stuff especially manufactured for a tv show

My wee niece who is 6 likes them though and my sister isn't too happy about her liking them which I find amusing

zombiehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:16 PM   #13
MunchBox
I threw my pie for you.

I am currently:

They're *****.

Sweetpea

MunchBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 05:19 PM   #14
wi-nter

I am currently:

^ mh. productive comment, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthused View Post
The Beatles were game changing though. One Direction are not. I just want to know why people become obsessed with these types of bands? I doubt they write their own songs and arguably rip off other songs (The Best Song Ever being stupidly close to sounding like The Who - Baba O'Riley) Is it because they are marketed well?

P.S I don't mean this to come off as me being horrible I'd just like to know why people get obsessed over boybands and the like.
they are the biggest band to have ever existed at this point. and that's probably because they are the worst one to go viral over social media so these things are going to get bigger and bigger from now on but still.
they are marketed well i mean that's the whole point right?

why do people get obsessed with anything? there really is no answer but the boys are likable, relatable and they happen to make music that a lot of people enjoy so there you go.

@radio: yep that's true. ed sheeran has written a couple songs for/with the boys as well.

pain breeds wolves
joys give rise to moons

Old 11-12-2014, 05:28 PM   #15
Enthused
In a warm place

I am currently:

Well I'm obsessed with Ian Curtis and Johnny Cash among others because their songs and lyrics are meaningful. Songs like Atmosphere and Transmission are prime examples of this. Songs like you don't known you're beautiful just ring hollow I think.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:24 PM   #16
wi-nter

I am currently:

^ oh yeah i definitely agree that the lyrics are not the best but that's kinda the problem with all "mainstream radion music" right?
my favorite band is brand new and in my opinion no one will ever top that lyrics wise

pain breeds wolves
joys give rise to moons

Old 12-12-2014, 11:16 AM   #17
Enthused
In a warm place

I am currently:

I guess so. Do you really believe people will still remember them in 20 years though?

Old 12-12-2014, 04:25 PM   #18
wi-nter

I am currently:

do you mean one direction or brand new? and what do you mean with "remember"? like remember their songs or their career or like them in general?

either way, yes. because those who listened to the bands will still be alive in 20 years and so obviously remember them. probably more people will remember one direction though as they are HUGE and the members will probably appear on random talk/game/singing shows. isn't that what usually happens? that one guy from take that, howard, was on a german dance talent show which was so weird but like that's how those old people from the music business keep reappearing ;)

pain breeds wolves
joys give rise to moons

Old 12-12-2014, 04:32 PM   #19
Enthused
In a warm place

I am currently:

I mean One Direction, obviously the fans will remember them but everyone else, the media etc will be fawning over someone else. No one mentions JLS now do they?

Old 12-12-2014, 07:13 PM   #20
wi-nter

I am currently:

^ yeah i mean that's kinda the thing with everything though right? 20 years is such a long time the world will have moved on but that's okay.
i had to google JLS i have never heard of them. i think they might not have been popular outside of Britain?

pain breeds wolves
joys give rise to moons

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)