Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-06-2015, 07:40 PM   #1
[Purple_Rain]
Forum Mod

I am currently:
PCOS Diagnosis

Hiya,

As the title says, I got a call from my Dr earlier saying that what I had suspected was 'almost certainly' true, and I have PCOS.

I was just wondering if anyone had any words of wisdom, experience with treatment for PCOS, recommendations etc.

Obviously I've read around on the subject, so know a bit, like maybe how Metformin could be helpful?

Thanks for reading :)

Liz

"I would be almighty in my own world of art, even if I had to paint my pictures with my wet tongue on the dusty floor of my cell." -Picasso
"No, painting is not done to decorate apartments. It is an instrument of war." - Picasso

'I have scars becuase I have a past; but they, like my past, do not define my future'

[Purple_Rain] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 08:59 PM   #2
Jelly Head

I am currently:

Hey,
Bless you, you are not alone! Far too many women have this diagnosis nowadays! =(
I too have been diagnosed. But unfortunately my brain is too mushy to say much more than that right now.
But please feel free to PM if you have any questions or would like to go into some detail, I can tell you as little or as much as you like lol.
Apologies I can't be more useful right now!

Take care & keep smiling =)

Jelly

Last edited by Aardbei : 06-07-2015 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Removed potentially dangerous advice

Hugs Heal :)

Jelly Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 09:47 PM   #3
Harbour

I am currently:

Heya,

Ive been diagnosed and I started metformin in February. Before then I was eating high amounts of sugar because my
Body never absorbed what sugar I had eaten. Since then ive done from morbidly obese to lower obese BMI and partly it's due to metformin. If you are overweight and find it difficult to lose weight it is a really good option in my opinion. It's also helped regulate my periods which before had been sporadic at best.

pM if you want anymore info :)

Rachel x

Harbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 07:44 PM   #4
[Purple_Rain]
Forum Mod

I am currently:

Just got back from the doctor, who was great and listened really well.

I'm on the pill for periods, and she's going to ask advice on what oculd help with my weight - my BMI is too low to qualify for specific weight loss drugs, and she did say metformin was an option but she wanted to speak to someone to see if it would suit me.

Irregular periods and weight are the two bigger problems I have with it. Has anyone had experience with losing weight with PCOS? I do stupid amounts of exersize and eat pretty healthily and it doenst budge, so I guess part of me is hoping PCOS is the 'reason' and that now I might be able to actually lose weight, without becoming ED'd again.

"I would be almighty in my own world of art, even if I had to paint my pictures with my wet tongue on the dusty floor of my cell." -Picasso
"No, painting is not done to decorate apartments. It is an instrument of war." - Picasso

'I have scars becuase I have a past; but they, like my past, do not define my future'

Old 28-06-2015, 02:22 PM   #5
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:

Are you eating enough? I've read that our metabolism can slow down if we aren't getting in enough calories and that eating more can result in weight loss as it speeds up our metabolism.

If you are eating enough ignore me I just saw the amount of exercise you do and wondered!

When we lose twenty pounds... we may be losing the twenty best pounds we have! We may be losing the pounds that contain our genius, our humanity, our love and honesty. ~Woody Allen
Is a chocolate muffin loving glitter ball

random.swirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2015, 03:03 PM   #6
[Purple_Rain]
Forum Mod

I am currently:

To be honest Cam I don't know. If I eat 'enough' calories wise, adjusting for the amount of exercise I do, I put on weight. So I guess in that sense no. but for your average person I would be eating enough yes.

Old 29-06-2015, 11:18 AM   #7
finding.my.wings

Taking 'the pill,' (oral contraceptive) helps.

The BRAVEST thing
I ever did was
CONTINUING MY LIFE
when I wanted to die.

finding.my.wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:38 AM   #8
melting_snow

i took yasmin (OCP) for PCOS a few years ago, but it sent my blood pressure sky high. I lost a significant amount of weight on it and for once my periods were regular. Before this, I could go 7/8 months without having a period. I had to come off it because of the BP issue, but my GP referred me to an endocrinologist who prescribed metformin. Again, it controlled my symptoms very well and I lost even more weight. I sdtopped taking it in December as I ran out and didnt have time to go to my GP and I have noticed the difference in not taking it. I've put weight on, my periods are irregular and the PMS I have is a lot worse. Oh, and I'm more hairy as well.

I would like to go back on it, but it gave me horrendous stomach issues. I didn't link the 2 until I'd come off it.

I hope you are able to find a solutions. Its a horrible condition :(

melting_snow is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)