RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-10-2010, 10:44 AM   #1
Hikikomori
KookieFace

I am currently:
Clashing

I'm currently not working. I don't have an impressive CV because I've been suffering with mental health difficulties since the age of 13. My husband and I recently moved into a room in my parents house. My dad also doesn't work because of his poor mental health.

My dad and I are responsible for taking care of the house and my mother and husband go out to work. I have no qualms doing housework, I contribute regularly.

Unfortunately, my mother and I are clashing. She often moans about how hard she has worked during the day. I understand the stresses of working, because I cannot cope with them myself. But I feel hurt when her criticisms are carried over to “the state of the house” or how weak I am, because I’m not able to work for a living.

The house is very clean and everything is kept immaculate. I contribute a great deal. I keep mine and my husband’s room tidy and keep up with jobs I do for us and jobs I do for the rest of the house.

I feel so upset about her comments. I don’t exactly feel as though I deserve to be praised for cooking or hovering or whatever, because it’s not that much of a big deal to me. But I don’t feel like I deserve her constant criticism because it‘s bringing me so low. I’d love her approval but unfortunately I think her opinion of me is that because I don’t work, I’m lazy and I need to be “corrected”.

I find it difficult to accept her criticisms because she herself does not contribute to the housework in any way. One example of this is that she can be aggressive about crumbs on a kitchen work surface that were not made by me or my husband and that I had not noticed yet (at 8am). But on the rare occasion that she makes herself lunch, she leaves crumbs everywhere.

I’m not being sarcastic, I’m not exaggerating. I don’t mind clearing up her crumbs because I understand she is busy… It’s just that her reaction is so unjustified. There’s no reason to overreact.

Does anyone have any advice? I don’t really think I could improve my standards any further because I’m doing so much already. I don’t want her to walk all over me, but conflict is impossible because I find it too damaging. Frankly, she’s so self righteous that she doesn’t take anything I say on board.

I think this issue must seem so small on a forum like this. It's not a really awful situation, I'm just struggling to keep positive. I just wondered if there’s anyone in a similar position. I’d like to know what others think they would do in my situation.

We are only defined by these words if we conform to them. Don’t be defined by them. Define yourself.

Hikikomori is offline   Reply With Quote
One Hug Given By:
Old 12-10-2010, 07:16 PM   #2
Margo

I am currently:

Heloo!

Firstly no problem is too small if it has become a problem. Its all relative. If its affecting your health then its big enough!

I thnk you and your mum need to talk. however i do not feel the house is the right place for it. You need some neutral ground. I do not think you can improve your standards. I think this goes beyond tidiness, and is more to do with your mums own fruistrations regarding the whole situation. I think the crumbs and **** like that are merely just little triggers that spark her off.

Perhaps arange to go out for tea or something. Or the park or wherever. Just somewhere neutral that has no reminders of home. then you are both on an even footing.

If talking face to face isnt easy then perhaps write her a letter. Write down that you love her and appreciate all she does but that the way she is with you is not helping and only making you ffeel worse.

She may have no clue its affecting you. there could be deeper issues that she needs to get out? I dunno. But perhaps i can give you a little to think about?

Matthew x

~Phoenix~ is my Little Sister of Awesomeness and Self-Delusion :P
Bitter Angel is my Mitten
Animad is my Top Trump
All Im Living For - Is my beautiful and special daughter who isnt called Kim but will moan if i dont add her :P

Margo is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)