RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-10-2013, 12:46 AM   #1
Snow White.
I am a fairy.

I am currently:
I need to lose a lot of weight.

The idea of the amount of weight and the food and exercise changes I'm going to have to make overwhelms me but I know I need to break it down into small goals and work from there.

I'm having a hard time getting started but I've woken up today knowing this is something I have to do now, so a bit of the reresistance has at least reduced.

I'm just wondering if any one had any tips for this journey, in particular starting it when it can feelna bit too much at some times. I will buy some scales and monitor my weight so that should help me focus on it as real and tangible.

Thanks for any advice :)

Snow White. is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Hugs Given By :
Old 12-10-2013, 01:31 AM   #2
LegoGirl

Walking is wonderful. Walk places you find pretty. Take a camera and photograph things. Make it something enjoyable.
Make things that may help you lose weight things you enjoy and not a chore. That way you will keep them up.
Remember you are fine as you are, add things to your life that will make you happy, active and healthy.
Take up a cookery class.
Join an exercise group for the social side.
Try the couch to 5k programme
Think at about adding thing to your life rather than depriving yourself of things like when you are dieting.

Last edited by LegoGirl : 12-10-2013 at 01:31 AM. Reason: Spelling
LegoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
tiptoes
Forum Mod

I am currently:

In the first few weeks could you try not to think about the end goal but try each day to make one little improvement. Doesn't have to be anything big and flashy going for a short walk, picking a healthier snack, leaving the last couple of morsels because you are now full.

A dance based exercise class are good fun and great exercise or alternatively something more gentle like yoga or pilates.

Have a think about what times of the day have the most scope for improvement and start there.

I would also try to set myself targets that aren't related to numbers on the scales things like dropping down a notch on a belt, being able to race the lift up the stairs, if you start running knocking time off your time etc.

Taking leftovers for lunches is a good idea but if you are going to do this portion up the leftovers before you dish up your evening meal.

In my dreams I slew the dragon

tiptoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

As you know I'm currently trying to lose weight with Weight Watchers. I used to go to meetings every week and be weighed, but I've just cancelled my membership as I can't make the meetings due to uni. I'm just going to carry on with the plan by myself using the knowledge I already have.

I'm a member of a large weight loss support forum which I'll send you the link to. It might help, it might not.

What's worked for me is breaking down my weight loss into manageable chunks. If I think of the entire amount I want to lose then it becomes scary, but if I think oh I've only got xlbs until my next mini goal then it's so much more manageable. And you can treat yourself every time you hit a mini goal- probably best to find non-food rewards (I used to reward myself with food which always turned into binges).

Another thing is to weigh once a week only. It's tempting to weigh every day, but weight fluctuates day to day due to water weight and such. So it's ideal if you can make it once a week.

When I tried to diet in the past, I'd ban a lot of foods. I thought being on a diet meant giving up crisps and chocolate etc. What would happen was that after a couple of weeks I'd cave in and binge on all the foods I'd deprived myself of. What I learnt on WW is that you can still have treats and lose weight, and the more you deny yourself of something the more you'll want it. It's more effective to change your outlook on food, and adjust your eating for life, not embark on a restrictive diet which is unsustainable and means you regain weight once you stop.

Another thing that helped me when reading a book on binging was to write a letter to myself in 5 years time as if I'd continued binging and gaining weight. I imagined what weight I'd be and how it would impact on my health and relationships. Then I wrote another letter as if I'd spent those 5 years becoming healthier and losing weight, and how that would impact on my life. It really opened up my eyes to how I was treating my body.

And finally- if you have a slip up then don't stress over it. Draw a line under it and move on. Don't use it as an excuse to binge, or carry on binging. If you dropped your mobile phone you'd just pick it up- you wouldn't stamp on it would you?!

Good luck :)

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:56 PM   #5
Mrs Sam
Nothing Special

I am currently:

Do you have to think about it in terms of weightloss? Might there be the option of you adopting some healthy habits in terms of food and exercise for the good of your health rather than for losing weight. Weightloss will be an inevitable bonus?

It's just it seems weight is the huge scary factor in this for you so what about if it wasn't the main goal and focus? Make your goals around different factors such as your skin feeling nicer from drinking more water or you being able to exercise moderately 3 x per week or something.

Something Special.

Mrs Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 02:53 AM   #6
FlightlessBird
Save me from the nothing I've become

I am currently:

The best advice I was ever given is to not obsess about the scale. Instead, focus on how you feel, what your body is becoming capable of, and how your clothes fit. Muscle weighs more than fat, so a lot of people become discouraged when they gain weight (especially in the beginning) and if the weight doesn't come off as quickly as they'd like. So, while the scale *can be* a useful tool, don't be too concerned with it.

I want to stay in love with my sorrow.
Oh, but God, I want to let it go.
If you look in the mirror and don't like what you see, you can find out first-hand what it's like to be me.
You'll need a symphony to give sympathy to the girl with the worst luck in town.
When I care, it curls me up on the floor and I swear I can't do it anymore.

FlightlessBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #7
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessBird View Post
Muscle weighs more than fat

That's actually a myth.

A pound of fat and a pound of muscle both weigh a pound.

But muscle is denser than fat, so if you had a pound of muscle and a pound of fat, there'd be less muscle than fat.

It's kind of hard to get your head around!

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)