RYL Forums

Forum Jump

Old 04-07-2014, 03:18 PM   #1
Myimmortalgirl
Heather Peace's Wife

Just need some advice

I have not felt right since Tuesday.

My symptoms are

Being really really hot to the point where it is dripping down my top and my hair is soaked and I am waking up soaked.

But then also being really cold when it is not cold out.( I can go from hot to cold and still be sweating)

My necks sore and a bit stiff.Also yesterday felt really swollen even though it wasn't.

I am so tired, I just want to sleep all day and not move out of bed. Also even washing my hair or walking up the stairs is making me tired, It also makes me feel a bit dizzy.

And it just feels like someone has drained every single ounce of energy out of me and I feel like I need something to get me going.

Also I am really thirsty but my appetite has gone completley.

And also my heart felt like it was beating strange yesterday aswell and my pulse was a bit fast.

Had to take yesterday off work sick and cancel appointments on weds. It's worrying me a little bit. I don't want to make a doctor appointment if you just think it's a virus, Just worried it is something.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:46 PM   #2
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

It could just be a virus, but no harm in making a doctors appointment just to check. If it's no better on Monday make a GP appointment? And if it gets worse over the weekend you could maybe see an out of hours GP.

Hope you feel better soon!

Oh, and if your appetite's gone, then get as much calorific fluid into you as possible to keep your energy up! Fruit juice, milkshakes etc.

No other sadness in the world would do

Old 04-07-2014, 06:47 PM   #3
Myimmortalgirl
Heather Peace's Wife

Thanks hun, I fell asleep again earlier, work sucks though as I get so hot it is dripping off me. I have to have all the fans on.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:39 PM   #4
Animad

As said above, it does sound like a virus. Your heart can sometimes feel a bit funny if your heart rate is up a bit and that is common if you have a fever. Also sweating can be common with that. If you start to feel worse or aren't starting to improve over the next few days then really you need to get checked out by a doctor. In the meantime, taking Paracetamol as directed on the box/ in the leaflet is a good idea to try and bring your temperature down, presuming you have one, and this will also help with the neck pain/ stiffness. Before taking any make sure you read through the leaflet to ensure that you're not on any other meds that interact with it and/or have any medical conditions that are advised against it's use. If you do don't take it. Also, make sure you don't take it if you're taking any other paracetamol containing medication (so any cold or flu relief. Some decongestants also contain it, as does lemsip and some allergy medication now has that as an added ingredient but these are just a selection; many others do too so make sure you check.

Due to the sweating you are also going to be losing more fluid and electrolytes than normal so are more likely to become dehydrated. Therefore, make sure you drink more water than usual. The best thing to take instead of water is actually electrolyte containing sachets mixed with water (the main brand name is Diorralyte and is sold in most pharmacies and big supermarkets) and prepare it as said on the packaging. You could also try Lucozade Sport (not normal lucozade), Powerade, Gatorade or similar isotonic sports drinks. I would strongly advise you to stay away from caffeinated drinks at the moment, especially heavily caffeinated ones.

If you find that you start to get chest pains or your heart feels funny more often then get to A&E. Otherwise see how you go.

One thing that may be worthwhile though is speaking to a pharmacist; they can then look at maybe a cold/ flu relief which is good for you and/ or Diorralyte. However, the main reason to see them is just as they are the first port of call before your GP to ensure that you're ok and they can give you basic homecare advice. A pharmacist also cannot try and talk you in to buying products as they are medical professionals who are regulated by any other.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:27 PM   #5
Myimmortalgirl
Heather Peace's Wife

Now this has come up and my throat is still really sore.

It is on the left hand side of my mouth at the back.

The following content has been hidden - Reason : pic is not that nice

Old 06-07-2014, 07:32 PM   #6
Dara84

I am currently:

Looks like tonsillitis from that pic. I had it a couple weeks ago and my doctor said that's what it was.
He said I'd be fine with paracetamol etc as he thought it was probably viral.
Tho if accompanied by fever and other things it is more like to be bacterial and would need antibiotics...

Old 06-07-2014, 11:47 PM   #7
Animad

You need to go and see your doctor about this. Going by your photo and description of where it it I would also believe it to be tonsillitis. However, unlike the other user, given your previous symptoms it may be you have a virus though usually tonsillitis itself is usually caused by a bacteria though it is possible for it to be viral or part of a wider virus. The main thing I'm wondering is whether the pain and symptoms you've had have been due to a fever which can be caused by any sort of infection and also the stiff neck is caused by your inflamed tonsils. Viral infections are not helped by antibiotics and in the case of bacterial tonsillitis, many of these resolve themselves without antibiotics. Though, there may be a chance multiple things are going on and that you need treatment so I would suggest you go and see your doctor.
Also, I'd STRONGLY advice staying away from work so you can rest and give your body chance to recover. As well as that, due to the potential risk of streaming it. Often it is advised that with tonsillitis and similar that you take a period of approx two weeks off work too due to the length of time it can be contagious.

One thing I would like to point out though is that it may not be tonsillitis and it could always be that you have an infection of something else or an abscess (either on your tonsil or elsewhere (due to the image it is difficult to say exactly where it is which is no fault of your own, it's difficult to take a picture of that area yourself))

Last edited by Animad : 07-07-2014 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Altering and adding a bit
Old 07-07-2014, 01:18 AM   #8
Dara84

I am currently:

Sorry, I just meant that's what my doctor had told me at the time. I was there on an unrelated matter but he checked it out while I was there and this is what he had said to me about fever symptoms etc.
Apologies

"But I'm only human and I bleed when I fall down
I'm only human and I crash and I break down
Your words in my head, knives in my heart
You build me up and then I fall apart
'Cause I'm only human"

Old 07-07-2014, 07:00 AM   #9
Animad

To clear this up, fever can be seen with either bacterial or viral infections. It's one of your bodies defence mechanisms; turn up the body temperature to a level that it's hard for the pathogen (the organism causing the damage (be that bacteria, a virus or a parasite (though it's not done with the majority of parasites)))) to survive as well and reproduce and therefore helps you to improve. However, this does come to the disadvantage of how we fell and can affect how our own body functions as our enzymes which control a lot of the processes in our body are extremely temperature sensitive too.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:38 PM   #10
havealittlefaith

I am currently:

Hve you managed to see a doctor ? x

Old 07-07-2014, 09:17 PM   #11
Myimmortalgirl
Heather Peace's Wife

Yep after the one I was supposed to see refused to see me because I was late due to the bus not turning up.

Apparently it's all anxiety caused and that It is in my head and I need to use mouthwash and take ibuprofen(which I cannot take due to interaction with another medication I am on) And paracetamol which does not help.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:57 AM   #12
Animad

Could you maybe ask to see another doctor for a second opinion especially if you're unsatisfied? Sometimes stress and anxiety does cause ulcers but that doesn't really look like one. You can also write a letter to the practice manager to complain if you're unhappy.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:05 PM   #13
Myimmortalgirl
Heather Peace's Wife

I am going to see my usual doctor. But it is getting better it isn't as sore today just that lump that is worrying me

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)