RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-04-2017, 09:08 AM   #1
white_silent_darkness
My nickname is SD

I am currently:
C-PTSD

For years, Ive know that my mental health hasnt been good. After much research, I noticed that I present the "symptoms" of certain conditions. I self diagnosed myself with CPTSD (Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder). CPTSD symptoms include Depression and Anxiety.

Although I wasn't 100% sure because it was me who was telling myself, that diagnosis did sit right with me. The more I researched it the more I found that reflected me - It was like they were explaining my story.

Recently I went to the doctors to seek support to reduce my anxiety as its been awoken now that Im dealing with the past. It took a lot to get myself to go. The doctor agreed with my self diagnosis of CPTSD. Though he didn't really do much more than that - he just typed up the notes and handed me a prescription. I dont know exactly what I was expecting to happen, but I did think there would be more of an assessment despite me giving a lot of information (Not the actual trauma). He just confirmed with me that I was seeing a counsellor. Upon returning twice more with a different doctor, I had a similar story happen.

Since I have spoken with someone about it who understands CPTSD. Although in their profession they arent allowed to diagnose, they did agree with me and stated that they had been thinking it for a while.

As much as I don't like labels, I feel since accepting this one I have felt more comfortable. I dont feel quite so crazy and overwhelmed. I think by knowing what Im fighting it has helped. But I feel a fraud by saying I have it because of the lack of feedback/action of the doctors.

RYL Family :
White_angel is my big sister
Bookworm3009 is my cousin
White_silence is my little sister
Bubblegum Netmeg is my pet monkey

:heart:

white_silent_darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
One Hug Given By:
Old 06-04-2017, 11:48 AM   #2
Iamcatbug
Cat

Your doctor probably didn't say much more because they aren't trained in how to diagnose complex mental health conditions, plus it sounds like you are access all the support you need right now so they possibly felt there was nothing They could add that wasn't already being offered to you.

Last edited by Iamcatbug : 06-04-2017 at 05:30 PM.
Iamcatbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:54 PM   #3
Sooty
Sophie

I am currently:

It's great that you have the support in place. I'm not sure of what your trauma entails but have you thought about going to any support groups to talk about your CPTSD? I currently go to a support group for CSA survivors and I find that it's really good to talk with people who have been through similar trauma and may be of have gone through similar symptoms and experiences following the trauma.

Sophie.x

Soon... Now will be then...Today will be yesterday... Present will be past...And thought will be memory... So...Live for the future! Make your future how you want it!

Sooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 04:34 PM   #4
white_silent_darkness
My nickname is SD

I am currently:

Thank you both for your replies :)

Iamcatbug - Yeah thats true :/ Never though of that. I suppose where I dont trust myself, I expected at assessment of some sort to confirm what I was thinking not just them take my word for it. I could have said anything and they agree with me. So it makes me doubt myself.

Sophie, I have considered the groups as I too am a CSA survivor, but too afraid to go. I find myself mute when talking in groups generally so may really struggle talking about the past. I can see it helps to talk with someone who truely understands though - I think I would benefit from it as therea so many elements to C-PTSD. Maybe one day when Im stronger

RYL Family :
White_angel is my big sister
Bookworm3009 is my cousin
White_silence is my little sister
Bubblegum Netmeg is my pet monkey

:heart:

white_silent_darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 06:00 PM   #5
Sooty
Sophie

I am currently:

I went to my local support group for about 7 months before I said a single word. Just going along and sitting there listening to others I've found really helped. There's no pressure to talk you can bit by bit when you feel comfortable etc. If there is one near to you, I think it's worth considering. And if by the odd chance you live near me I'm happy to talk to you about the group I go to.

Sophie.x

Soon... Now will be then...Today will be yesterday... Present will be past...And thought will be memory... So...Live for the future! Make your future how you want it!

Sooty is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)