Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 26-04-2014, 10:32 PM   #1
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:
Stalking assistance required!

A very odd request!

Is there anyone on here who isn't friends with me on facebook who would mind looking one of my colleagues up on facebook? She wants to know how easily findable she is, but even my ninja facebook account with no friends (every stalker needs one of those!) has a search history linking to me, so finds her easily.

Weirdest thread I've ever posted, but would really appreciate some assistance!

Many thanks,

Jenna

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 10:59 PM   #2
sherbet lemon

I am currently:

i could for you :) lol

suppose its even better i'm not in the same coutry as you lol make the search harder

sherbet lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 11:32 PM   #3
Pi.R^2

I am currently:

Thanks! Will PM you the details :)

Old 27-04-2014, 12:20 AM   #4
sherbet lemon

I am currently:

no problems actually makes me curious about people finding myself

Old 27-04-2014, 12:48 AM   #5
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherbet lemon View Post
no problems actually makes me curious about people finding myself
Yep. I managed to find my psych's and my cpn's facebook accounts, so if anyone can find them, then they can find me.

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

not_so_insig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 01:10 AM   #6
Serendipity.
fabulous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insignificant_one View Post
Yep. I managed to find my psych's and my cpn's facebook accounts, so if anyone can find them, then they can find me.
Because that's not creepy at all...

"I know you're sad, so I won't tell you to have a good day. Instead, I advise you to simply have a day.
Stay alive, feed yourself well, wear comfortable clothes, and don't give up on yourself just yet.
It'll get better. Until then, have a day."

Serendipity. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 01:12 AM   #7
not_so_insig

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity. View Post
Because that's not creepy at all...
It would be even worse if I tried to friend them, which I havent done, because it's simply inappropriate. Besides they have their posts and stuff set as friends only, so I didnt find out much. Besides I havent done it lately, so we are talking in the past.

Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic

Old 27-04-2014, 01:22 AM   #8
sherbet lemon

I am currently:

a lot of my old teachers fb pages are there too lol i was being curious one day but seriously i could see photos and things.

what gets me is people hu have kids and always putting them up and even have a public profile with pics of them up i think that i would be quite scared of it

Old 27-04-2014, 01:40 AM   #9
not_so_insig

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror. View Post
I remember when I had a facebook looking for teachers, and therapists, etc. I don't think it's abnormal, and I generally assume it's understood if you put personal information online that leaves it open for anyone to access.

Anyways, Jenna, if you want to see if I can find or see anything without even having a facebook account, feel free to shoot me a PM. :)
Thanks Auror, it makes me feel much better.

And sherbet lemon, I agree with you about kids. There are some nasty people out there.

Old 27-04-2014, 09:58 AM   #10
Pi.R^2

I am currently:

Thanks Carmen, that's kind of you to offer! Sherbet Lemon answered my question (said colleague does come up on searches), but thanks for offering :)

Speaking of public information, I worry about the youths I teach. In a non-creepy way, I've looked a few of them up on facebook and some of them have such public profiles (and most of my students aren't 13 yet, so shouldn't even be on facebook). I looked them up because I wanted to know if there were grounds to do some work on facebook privacy settings with them, but then realised I was too anxious to ask heads of houses/the headteacher if we can have an assembly on it.

Old 27-04-2014, 10:08 AM   #11
Moth.
This Member is currently Banned

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcissa View Post
I wanted to know if there were grounds to do some work on facebook privacy settings with them, but then realised I was too anxious to ask heads of houses/the headteacher if we can have an assembly on it.
I really recommend, if you can, go for it as a tutor (you have a form group right?) or with head of year. I have posts from when I was a we eyouth that're set to public that are so horribly cringe-worthy, and potentially dangerous to future careers, but they're so far back in my timeline, it'd take months to find and delete them all because of Facebook's weird deleting thing.

And certain... rule breaking at school was discovered because of posts I'd been tagged in by friends. And cyberbullying etc

Moth. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 10:10 AM   #12
Pi.R^2

I am currently:

I showed my tutor group a really good video about it, but my tutor group think they're so incredibly cool that they didn't engage with it at all. You know when thirteen year olds think they're all grown up, but actually they're embarrassingly immature? That's them! *rolls eyes*

Old 27-04-2014, 10:53 AM   #13
griddlebone
Head of Chat/Forum Mod.

I am currently:

One of my teachers from secondary school contacted me on fb not long ago.

It was weird because I had been thinking about writing to them because they helped me so much in secondary school when I was being really badly bullied. They also helped me pass GCSE science which I was really bad at.

So it was a nice surprise however it did concern me how easily I could be found, although only my profile photo/cover photo are set to public.

There are times to stay put, and what you want will come to you.
But there are times to go out into the world and find such a thing for yourself.
I aint no abacus but you can count on me.

griddlebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 11:03 AM   #14
Pi.R^2

I am currently:

^that's nice that your teacher got in contact :)

As a pro privacy tip, I use a different name when I teach, which means I haven't had to do that teacher thing of changing my name on facebook! One of the youths in my tutor group claims that her friend from a different school found my facebook, but I find it unlikely that someone I don't even know would take the time to try to find me, or that they'd be able to (or at least I hope not!)

Last edited by Pi.R^2 : 27-04-2014 at 11:13 AM.

Old 27-04-2014, 11:23 AM   #15
Icecube. Swirls
Meera :-)

I am currently:

I could if you want

“The only way that we can live is if we grow. The only way we can grow is if we change. The only way we can change is if we learn. The only way we can learn is if we are exposed. And the only way that we are exposed is if we throw ourselves into the open.”

Icecube. Swirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 11:27 AM   #16
Snow White.
I am a fairy.

I am currently:

How do you use a different name when you teach? I mean do you just make it up?

I have a different surname on facebook so that clients cannot find me. Ironically a letter was once sent to a client using my facebook name because the clinican who sent it thought it was my actually surname!

Snow White. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 11:51 AM   #17
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:

I've changed my surname but I think I'm still findable.

One of the things that I think is that so many mental health professionals change there names on fb etc because of the risk of being found out that it must be fairly common to look up care workers online. I have to say that I have searched google for my care team and with most of the info it was boring or papers published by them etc but one of them a fb account came up I found it really odd!

When we lose twenty pounds... we may be losing the twenty best pounds we have! We may be losing the pounds that contain our genius, our humanity, our love and honesty. ~Woody Allen
Is a chocolate muffin loving glitter ball

random.swirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 12:00 PM   #18
Serendipity.
fabulous.

^ I find it normal to search Google - I do that so of course it's normal ;)

But, I guess, I don't find that odd because it's looking them up in a professional capacity, whereas facebook is personal? The people I work with are all old and in a care home so not exactly in a position to be looking me up on facebook! But if I were working in care in a different role, I wouldn't be comfortable with the idea of people stalking my facebook to see what they could find out! Therefore I extend the courtesy of not doing it to any professionals I might see.

Though, facebook did take to suggesting my old CPN as a friend for a while, which was awkward!

"I know you're sad, so I won't tell you to have a good day. Instead, I advise you to simply have a day.
Stay alive, feed yourself well, wear comfortable clothes, and don't give up on yourself just yet.
It'll get better. Until then, have a day."

Serendipity. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 12:25 PM   #19
Snow White.
I am a fairy.

I am currently:

I just accept that people will likely search their psych team. I've looked up an old psychologist before. Out of curiosity I suppose.

Snow White. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 12:31 PM   #20
Lilo

I am currently:

Jenna you can tell your friend to change her second name to Smith or ThatsMe as then she will only be able to be found by people that know the fake second name

Lilo is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)