RYL Forums

Forum Jump

Old 20-04-2015, 02:08 PM   #1
Belgiumgirl

Wound Care Question - Deep cuts

This question is going to be quite explicit so please, please don't read it if it might trigger you.

I've been at a locked ward for a few months now and I've mainly been cutting with pretty blunt things. Yesterday however, I managed to get my hands on a decent blade and I guess how forgot how sharp these things usually are. I went deeper then I expected and it's nothing new to me but there were a few things that worried me. (This is the explicit part and I hope I don't share too much) When I cut I go into my fat tissue most of the time, but yesterday I was cutting and at one point, some of the fat tissue came out? I had no idea it could happen but suddenly I had a few like little fatty bubbles hanging on my fingers and my blade. It wasn't extremely deep and I got stitches afterwards and the doctor didn't mention anything out of the ordinary but I guess he also couldn't see it had happened. Is it bad when that happens? Like I know it probably isn't healthy but will it make a difference in the healing process?

Also the second thing that worried me was that one of my cuts was bleeding a lot more than the others, even though it wasn't any deeper. Usually the blood just kind of like idk trickles out but this was like a steady flow which really scared me (I pushed my alarm button so it was immediately looked at and they put a lot of pressure on it but I don't think I hit a vein because it didn't bleed abnormally long? Is it normal that some cuts just bleed more than others no matter the depth? Or how can you tell when you do hit a vein because it was a very strange experience.

I hope this wasn't too much information and thanks for the help in advance x

Last edited by sherlock holmes : 20-04-2015 at 02:12 PM. Reason: removed measurement of cut as this is against the rules
Old 20-04-2015, 02:14 PM   #2
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

Yes, fat tissue is kind of yellow and bubbly. The fat cells are the bubbles themselves. I'm not sure if they can easily come out or not, I suppose you accidentally pulled or cut some out. Seeing as you got it stitched the doctor would have cleaned and inspected the wound first so I expect he didn't find anything out of the ordinary. Now the cut has been stitched the damage to the fat inside will start to repair and knit back together.

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

Old 20-04-2015, 10:38 PM   #3
Animad

I'm unsure we what you're asking. There isn't really a question there.

It will heal the same, the tissue was damaged but will heal fine without it just like any other wound.

The second part, it's difficult to say without tip sharing so can people please be careful but different areas and tissues bleed more than others and sometimes just certain movements do.

Really we are only here to give advice on how to heal a wound, not this sort of advice/ info so I'm unsure of what else you want people to say. I strongly suggest you ask the medical professionals questions like this in the future. They can see the cuts and things and so can answer them much more thoroughly.

Old 21-04-2015, 08:06 AM   #4
Belgiumgirl

Thanks for your answers. I just wanted to know if both these things were 'normal' or if it could cause problems when healing/were a sign of a problem because it had never happened before.
And I know I could ask my doctors here and I've tried it before when something worried me, but there is something about the combination of self harm and safety that really pisses doctors of. Whenever I ask if something is normal or bad or what the effect will be or if it was unsafe to cut with a certain tool or if I have a question about a scar that hurts more than usual, I always get these replies with a very strong undertone of 'if you would really care that much about your health you wouldn't cut so don't waste my time' and my anxiety decided it's best to just shut up about any worries I might have when it comes to sh.
So yeah, thank you for assuring me that this wasn't anything super scary and abnormal.

Old 21-04-2015, 08:58 AM   #5
Epicene

I am currently:

I'm sorry you get the sense that doctors don't want to help you with questions about self harm. A lot of people who do it are still concerned about their health and they should understand that.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)