RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-08-2014, 11:57 PM   #1
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:
Debate

Hello again (I have lots of FCQ questions at the moment!)

I have wondered for some time how the following rule is interpreted in practice.

Quote:
Please do not share political discussion or views, including images that mock / judge political figures / powers. Views on war and comments on any political situation is also not permitted. RYL is a self-harm support site, not a debating ground - we are all on the same side, and time has shown that heated political debates only cause undue tension, arguments, and division within the community. Limited discussion of political issues is allowed in general chat and general forums only and must not decend into arguments, or Mods will step in.
There are political threads in news and debate; in fact that is a main feature of the board. Is it that all of news and debate counts as "limited discussion of political issues" that does not "descend into arguments", or that news and debate was added after the rule was made and was an exception to the rule?

I imagine this has been discussed before, particularly when the news and debate forum was made, hence posting here rather than just messaging the mods, as I imagine lots of people will know the answer!

I ask this as a general query, but also more specifically I considered making a thread about the Israel/Palestine situation but didn't know if it would be appropriate.

Sorry if this is a silly question btw!

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 11:58 PM   #2
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

I don't know, but for some reason, the debate stuff doesn't seem to apply to News&Debate as long as it doesn't get flamey.

It doesn't matter where you come from; it matters where you go.
No-one gets remembered for the things they didn't do.
We won't all be here this time next year,
so while you can take a picture of us.
We're definitely going to hell,
but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

talaiporia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2014, 12:42 AM   #3
griddlebone
Head of Chat/Forum Mod.

I am currently:

It works in the same kind of way as the complaints one works, as in no complaints apart from on this board, so debate etc has a specific board which is why it's allowed there.

But even on the debate board mocking of political figures etc isn't allowed. I believe the rule was in place long before the debate board and the limited amount applies to all of the debate board so that it wasnt overrunning GC.

There are times to stay put, and what you want will come to you.
But there are times to go out into the world and find such a thing for yourself.
I aint no abacus but you can count on me.

griddlebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2014, 08:42 AM   #4
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

Thank you for the clarification, that makes perfect sense!

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)