RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #61
Daryl

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel_Good_inc. View Post
this thread took a very odd turn. I don't like it.

Sorry about that, but for the record, im strongly against animal tsting and harm to animals all together, humans are an evil race

Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 05:54 PM   #62
ferretmonster

sorry being lazy, superdrug (tiz my fav place i'm so sad i'd spend a fortune in there if i could)

i was just looking on line but cant seem to find what i was ing for, but they should do their own brand spray (i assume you prefer spray to roll on as most guys do)

ferretmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 05:55 PM   #63
Feel_Good_inc.
I am a leaf on the wind; watch how I soar

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmike View Post
Is the Gillette one any good?
Well it doesn't irritate my skin, so I'd say that's a plus. I mostly got it because it was buy one get one free.

But looking at the can I can see they're part of Procter and Gamble, on the list I've asked people to boycott.
So when this supply runs out I'll not buy any more. I'll get something from a more animal friendly company.

Don't be fooled by my smooth skin. The deepest scars are the ones unseen.
Remember compliments you received, forget the insults. If you succeed in doing this, tell me how..~ Baz Lurhman.
Letting it get to you - You know what that's called? Being alive. Best thing there is. Being alive right now that's all that counts. ~ Doctor Who "The Doctors Wife"
06.November.2011

Feel_Good_inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 05:57 PM   #64
ferretmonster

lol i was just wondering if i shoul menton that feel good, but i'll admit i'm not perfect with it and keep thinking t myself i should try harder

Old 29-04-2012, 05:57 PM   #65
FabulousMike
Proud Union Activist.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretmonster View Post
sorry being lazy, superdrug (tiz my fav place i'm so sad i'd spend a fortune in there if i could)

i was just looking on line but cant seem to find what i was ing for, but they should do their own brand spray (i assume you prefer spray to roll on as most guys do)
Not been there in years! I do prefer spray to be honest, I know I shouldn't use it (Menical thing) but yeah I do.
Quote:
Well it doesn't irritate my skin, so I'd say that's a plus. I mostly got it because it was buy one get one free.

But looking at the can I can see they're part of Procter and Gamble, on the list I've asked people to boycott.
So when this supply runs out I'll not buy any more. I'll get something from a more animal friendly company.
Ohh I was going to say i'll check it out but after you said that about it not being friendly I might not.

FabulousMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #66
Feel_Good_inc.

I am currently:

Looking at the stuff I have around the house it really is surprising how many things are owned by these companies.

I'll have to make a real effort to buy non brand name stuff in future. and check the label and all that stuff.

The more we buy from these animal friendly companies the more money they'll have to grow and expand and become even more popular.

Remember compliments you received, forget the insults. If you succeed in doing this, tell me how..~ Baz Lurhman.
Letting it get to you - You know what that's called? Being alive. Best thing there is. Being alive right now that's all that counts. ~ Doctor Who "The Doctors Wife"
06.November.2011

Old 29-04-2012, 06:02 PM   #67
ferretmonster

i tell yaa what Feel Good, we should both make that effort from now, i'm just trying to think where would be best for house stuff, i guess co op and lidl, is aldi the same or are they bd?

does anyone know if King of Shaves is still ok?

Old 29-04-2012, 06:15 PM   #68
Feel_Good_inc.

I am currently:

Right now all I can say is read the section of the list on non-animal testing companies and supermarkets.

After that I guess some more of our own research will have to come into it.

06.November.2011

Old 29-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #69
ferretmonster

oh one for the boys,

bulldog and king of shaves is cruelty free

Old 29-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #70
Feel_Good_inc.

I am currently:

Three companies I found:

Green People
Ecover
EcoLeaf

All available online at many sites.
Both cruelty free and environmentally friendly

06.November.2011

Old 29-04-2012, 06:54 PM   #71
pixiedust_11

I am currently:

Quote:
this thread took a very odd turn. I don't like it.

Also, I think for someone who has no idea about this kind of stuff, the best thing to do is just be a bit more mindful of it. Even though there are some examples of animals being kept in good conditions, it really isn't always the case. Either way, it's impossible to know unless you were there conducting the experiment yourself.

So yeah, I guess that's the easiest way to look at it if you don't want to go burn down buildings etc.

Do not be dismayed by the brokenness of the world. All things can be mended. Not with time, as they say, but with intention. So go. Love intentionally, extravagantly, unconditionally. The broken world awaits in darkness for the light that is you.

pixiedust_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #72
Daryl

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiedust_11 View Post
Also, I think for someone who has no idea about this kind of stuff, the best thing to do is just be a bit more mindful of it. Even though there are some examples of animals being kept in good conditions, it really isn't always the case. Either way, it's impossible to know unless you were there conducting the experiment yourself.

So yeah, I guess that's the easiest way to look at it if you don't want to go burn down buildings etc.
Can we test on humans? that makes some sense.

Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 07:13 PM   #73
Bellatrix
Voldemort's Bitch

I am currently:

How do people feel about testing on animals to create methods of testing that no longer require said animals?

Imperfection is underrated.

Bellatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 07:16 PM   #74
ferretmonster

hmmm interesting question, sacrifice a few to save a lot

I'm not sure really, i still stand by there is no need re cosmetics but medically im not sure i guess if its for the good of the whole in long run it might be worth it

Old 29-04-2012, 07:18 PM   #75
The One Who

I am currently:

One thing to think of when looking at "cruelty-free" products is whether or not the ingredients have been tested on animals. Technically people can stick a label on a product saying "not tested on animals" because the final product wasn't tested, but certain ingredients have been. Just something to think about.

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #76
Feel_Good_inc.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellatrix View Post
How do people feel about testing on animals to create methods of testing that no longer require said animals?
something for the greater good is always going to be a grey area. I really don't know how to answer. I'd rather science continues to develop the alternate methods we currently have without using animals. Maybe that means they'll take longer to perfect but if it means nothing suffered along the way then surely it's for the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The One Who View Post
One thing to think of when looking at "cruelty-free" products is whether or not the ingredients have been tested on animals. Technically people can stick a label on a product saying "not tested on animals" because the final product wasn't tested, but certain ingredients have been. Just something to think about.
Yes. L'Oreal are the worst for that. The Body Shop say they don't test their products on animals but they don't say that it's very likely the ingredients, supplied by parent company L'Oreal, probably were.
Some of that is mentioned in the list.
really all we can do though is read the back of labels because there is always an address or logo from the parent company on the back of all products. Avoid it if the parent company matches any on the boycott list.

06.November.2011

Old 29-04-2012, 11:47 PM   #77
Animad

All I want to say in this thread (which I haven't read all of by a long way) is that in the UK it has been illegal for several years now to test cosmetics on animals. I think new laws also mean it is that way in the EU now and many other places it is also likely to be.

The Animals (Scientific Procedures) Act is the UK law surrounding use of lab animals which is anything but invertebrates. The Giant Jellyfish, though invertebrates, are a 'protected' species in this and therefore have to have special provisions put in place. The Act means that all use of animals for lab work (and that starts at the breeding of animals; before conception) is VERY STRINGENTLY controlled. Each place where this is carried out is investigated by the Home Office at random times. If they fail to reach the correct levels of care it will have to change it's act/ may b shut down. It is extremely strict which is really good. As few animals are allowed to be used as possible. Every place where it happens must be licensed for this. Any person that works at the premises must have licences depending on the role. Then also EVERY experiment and part of an experiment needs to submitted to the Home Office and face a panel of experts (mainly vets & doctors) + some lay people (people from the general public). EVERY aspect which they write on their forms (which are extremely comprehensive) must be approved before they occur. If ANYTHING, even tiny, needs to be altered or added to the experiment they must submit this to the home office, again with reasons why and it will have to face a panel to see if it is justifiable. Alongside this there are vets on call 24/7 who ensure that the animals welfare is as high as possible (if it's not they can end the study, report the people involved, and if the animals are suffering, put them to sleep) as well as prvide emergency care. There is always an 'end point' to the experiment which is the point at which the animals will no longer be used. At this point, due to safety reasons, they are often put to sleep. This end point is often if they show a certain level of suffering and if this isn't put in what they've submitted then this is still the case.

Lab animals are actually extremely well cared for and against common belief, the animals used most in testing are fish followed by small mammals/ reptiles and cats/ dogs only take up a very small proportion (great apes are hardly ever used and may soon be banned from use), and horses/ cattle/ other farm animals are also used but again, at a very small proportion. These animals are all actually kept in an environment that is extremely clean, isn't really small and is actually better than many pets live in. I'm not saying it is perfect at all but it's not as bad as what many think. As well as that the areas are maintained so they are the exact correct temperature range and humidity for that species and the people looking after the animals know their job, are trained very well to do it and are overseen by other people more senior to them.

Most of the pictures you see on websites are back from the 1960s and '70s when the use of lab animals was MUCH less regulated or are taken abroad and used as if they are what is currently happening. Yes, some labs aren't perfect and there has been a couple that have ben closed down within the last 12-18months but the vast majority of labs/ animal breeding facilities are top notch.

I'm definately against animal testing for cosmetics. I also believe that it should only be done when really really necessary and alternative sources should be found (which now gladly are with different tissues grown/ computer models of what's likely to happen etc used instead of animals) as well as them using as few animals as they possibly can; this is definately done and the number of animals needs to be stated on the initial acceptance forms for an experiment and also each animals progress is individually tracked to ensure that it was needed, what was done, and that the level of suffering involved is extremely low. The huge majority of people involved in animal testing are extremely passionate about animal welfare and therefore ensure that their lives are as good as they can be given the circumstances which may not be perfect as they're not natural.

Anyway, all I'm saying is that there is a LOT of legislation covering the use of animals in the UK (as well as elsewhere) and it is extremely strict, as are the new laws in the EU and cosmetics are not allowed. Saying that, some areas of the world do still test cosmetics on animals and these products can still be imported so it is possible that you could be using them.

I am extremely knowledgable about the legislation of this in the UK, though I don't work with lab animals at all, and know for a fact that this information is up to date. I also have seen parts of the forms which need to be filled in in the UK to allow testing to go on and believe me, they shocked me and everyone around about how strict, stringent and comprehensive they are and therefore I'd like everyone to realise that animal testing in the UK is only done when absolutely neccesary (and the same in most areas of the world, definately the western world (though some countries are more strict than others)) so everything done in labs and breeding establishments used for lab animals has been ensured and is periodically visited with no prior warning (with anyone involved being looked into and all the paper work checked out) and therefore it is all done to give the animals the highest welfare possible. A lot of these animals are also better looked after many than pets and definately better than some farming methods (such as intensively farmed broiler chickens (chickens farmed for their meat) as well some other practices, though all of these are now starting to face more stringent rules.

I understand this post is extremely long, but I just wanted to express that though I don't like the idea of testing on animals, (definately not for cosmetics either abroad in countries where it still is, or in the past here in the UK as well as old experiments done here) it is a lot better an extremely highly regulated and this is to a MUCH greater level than most people believe to be th case especially as the facts often aren't put out clearly/ are distorted or not mentioned at all and different things may be written in their place which may not be true and I felt this was important to ention.

Animad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 11:58 PM   #78
xlaurenx

I am currently:

All of the ingredients have been tested on animals but they can get away with saying the product hasn't because the actual product hasn't been tested. However there thinking of banning testing on animals , i think lol. But the conditions are worse overseas , so what good will it do testing overseas as the conditions i imagine will be alot worse than the UK testing labs.

xlaurenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 12:17 AM   #79
Feel_Good_inc.

I am currently:

While it's illegal to test cosmetics on animals in the UK it's still legal to import a product that has been tested on animals.

Companies just move the testing labs to other countries, perform their tests and ship the product to the UK.

06.November.2011

Old 01-05-2012, 08:09 PM   #80
Feel_Good_inc.

I am currently:

For persons in America, the American organisation PETA has a comprehensive list of American companies that do, and don't test on animals.

Companies that DO test on animals.

Companies that DONT test on animals.

06.November.2011

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)