RYL Forums

Forum Jump

Old 30-06-2012, 11:25 PM   #1
Scaredy-cat
I am the very model of a modern major general

I am currently:
Can i wear a wrist splint in bed?

This, basically. My wrist is enormously painful, and i have a splint cos ive had problems with it before. If it wasnt for the fact that they always say it isnt id be seriously considering if its broken right now it hurts so much. So id like to wear the splint in bed, but im worried about circulation. And i wont wear it til i get some more info, just in case

He was no longer jean valjean but no. 24601 -les miserable

Some of life's mysteries will never be solved, such as why, after spending an entire evening listenong to Bach, do I find myself humming "the birdie song".......

I am reaching, but i fall, and the stars are black and cold, as i stare into the void of a world that cannot hold- les miserables

Old 30-06-2012, 11:29 PM   #2
offlineforever
Left RYL

I have worn a splint to bed before, but only when the doctor has said it is ok too. I had to wear it loosely though. But I ended up taking it off as I couldn't sleep with it on.

Left.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:43 AM   #3
Love_Bug

I am currently:

You can, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you wear it loose. I would ice it down to get any swelling down before you go to sleep.

As long as I stay in this moment I will be safe

Old 01-07-2012, 07:57 AM   #4
Scaredy-cat

I am currently:

Ot sure what good it would do loose. Tbh i have a feeling i sleep on my wrost sometimes

Some of life's mysteries will never be solved, such as why, after spending an entire evening listenong to Bach, do I find myself humming "the birdie song".......

I am reaching, but i fall, and the stars are black and cold, as i stare into the void of a world that cannot hold- les miserables

Old 01-07-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
Animad

Really, I would advise against it unless a doctor says it is ok for you to do. Many of the splints aren't designed to be used in bed and should be taken off because of risks to your circulation and so it is better to remove them; really if you are wearing one it is something that needs to be assessed on an individual case as to whether for you it would be better to wear it in bed or not; I personally don't see the need in a lot of peoples and also feel that wearing loose could lead to further problems such as it slipping and causing sores elsewhere so you should discuss it with your doctor. Also, if it's not a splint that doctors told you to wear but one that you bought from a pharmacy, it may be best if you were to check with the doctors if it's the best one for you as sometimes things need to be at set angles and things which may not be present or could be placing your arm in a way that could lead to further problems with whatever is occuring with you so if a doctors not suggested that particular one I'd ask. I know that wasn't the question but thought I'd just mention it.

But yep, unless specifically told to, you shouldn't wear a splint at night if it's one designed to be removed then which most are; definately ones bought at pharmacies.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
Scaredy-cat

I am currently:

Mine was bought from a pharmacy, but on reccomendation from a doctor, when i has problems for the first time a bit over a year ago. Though seeing as she had no clear idea of what was wrong and didnt even mention the type, maybe if it continues ill see my new gp

Old 02-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #7
makedamnsure

I am currently:

When I broke my hand I was in a split in bed - they decided against a cast but on condition that I did not remove the split at all - even to shower

Courtesy
Integrity
Perseverance
Self Control
Indomitable Spirit

Old 02-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #8
Mandimoo
Mummy!!

I am currently:

I'd say go back to gp, it needs sorting if you're in that kind of pain.

Mand, South Wales, Full-time working, single mother to 2 scarily independent girls.
I AM A PROUD PLUMERIA SISTER

Mand x

Old 02-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #9
what_the?
continual crisis

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by makedamnsure View Post
When I broke my hand I was in a splint in bed - they decided against a cast but on condition that I did not remove the split at all - even to shower
That's me at the moment. I had a pot on for the first few days and I've got my splint for another couple of weeks.

It has stopped the pain for me, mostly because it's immobile. However, I had to make sure that I understood everything about it, when and how to adjust it. I'm also still seeing an orthopedics person.

Long story short, I completely sympathise with you, but I wouldn't advise wearing anything without checking with a GP/physio.

I work with people who wear splints for sustained periods, mostly on their legs and some of the sores they can get if they're even slightly wrong are really nasty.

I hope it gets better soon for you though.

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. Make us all feel wonderful. We'll never forget."

Old 02-07-2012, 09:13 PM   #10
Scaredy-cat

I am currently:

Thanks guys. I imagine it will go eventually, just wanted to try and speed it up but i wont risk it

Old 03-07-2012, 09:11 PM   #11
Animad

Really, as it's been going on a while, as Mandy said, it would probably be better to see your doctor. I'd also say that if/ when you do take your splint with you, ask them if they feel it may be appropriate and also what they think about you wearing it at night. Really, your doctor can have a look at what's going on and maybe send you for further tests/ refer you for physio or similar if they feel necessary. I would STRONGLY urge you NOT to wear your splint at night until you've seen a doctor. Cases of people wearing spints instead of casts when they've broken their arms and wearing them overnight is different to this.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:00 PM   #12
Scaredy-cat

I am currently:

Cant make it to the docs for about a fortnight cos im going away. I wont wear it in bed seeing as how it seems to be a bad idea, and me and mum are going to try and get one that looks more sporty/less like a cripple tomorrow. Bcause some of the children i work with have been very rude about it

Old 06-07-2012, 01:06 AM   #13
Leo Pard
Flem Fatale

I am currently:

Two things, if that splint is what your doctor recommended, wear it, it's meant to help you and not be a fashion item. Just because a different one looks better does not mean you should wear that because you like it more. It probably does a different job as is for sport injuries or something. So wearing one that 'looks better' will probably not actually help.
Secondly, please do not use the term 'cripple' in a derogitory way. I know that I have been known to use it in such a way but only when describing myself and I think that you will find that many people would take offence to being called a 'cripple' for obvious reasons (me included). It would be like me running around here calling everyone an 'Emo'. You don't like it so why submit other people to the same disrespect?
As for the children picking on you, could you not educate them that it is rude to make comments about disabilities?

Sorry. Had to get that out of my system.

The world is just illusion always trying to change me.
You will find wonder wherever you can, and spread joy whenever you are able.

I felt emotions of gentleness and pleasure, that had long appeared dead, divide within me. - Frankenstein.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:19 PM   #14
Animad

I have to say, I actually agree with the above statement too and was thinking about a way to put that. "Cripple" in itself (along with some other names, some of which are used on this website) can be very derogatory and affect some people, some of whom may post on here (I know some of the names mentioned on the website have me pretty much wanting to refuse to reply to their posts just because of that and they can trigger me), I'm not saying you meant any harm by it, just please think of your words more carefully when you post and not just on here.

Also, as said, changing the dressing for a sports one (of which there are several types) can cause more problems and as well as that people will still see that you're not playing sport so wonder why you're wearing it so are you making yourself look better, I personally wouldn't say so. In fact you could end up in a worse position and have long-term/ permanent problems in your wrist from wearing the wrong splint and have to then have devices made specially for you, none of which will win prices for being fashionable, but if you didn't it could lead to you having real difficulty with doing anything so I'd think of that everytime you think of trying a different type of support just because you feel they're less noticeable; to be honest I see people with supports on and I don't even give them a 2nd look or care and the vast majority of people are like that.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:07 AM   #15
Scaredy-cat

I am currently:

Firstly, i wouldnt use the term cripple either, thats what the kids are doing, i didnt realise til you guys pointed it out that that isnt especially clear. And i cant do squat about that, because im a dinner lady and they have absolutely no respect forme whatsoever.

Also, the splint I was wearing wasnt reccomended by my doctor, she just said wear a splint, any splint. No specifics at all. Im just trying to stop getting picked on because there is literally nothing else i can do about those children. Ive tried speaking to other staff who are supoosed to support me with discipline and though ine child was spoken to it didnt make any difference and then i was told to go work in a different bit of school to 'give me a break' insteas of actually trying to fix the situation. So i think what ive done is entirely justified, its not about 'fashion'.

I dont think ive made clear how little the doc actually said. It was just 'well im not sure what it is but take ibuprofen and go buy a splint from the chemists' literally

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)