RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-12-2011, 07:38 AM   #1
Comely
You seem so bruised,and it's beautiful

I am currently:
A Story of Hope

So I just wanted to share something very positive, hopefully it gives others hope for their future who are currently struggling.

for background I've struggled with self-harm for going on 10 years now. I am currently 13 months self-harm free. I have very soft skin and scar very easily. So, unfortunately I have a lot of scars. I made a choice about 3 years ago to no longer hide my scars. This is when I began University and I have truly gained confidence from this choice, though there have been struggles.

So, to the good part. I am in a program in which I do a lot of school and community placements (it's based in the dramatic arts). Last year I was placed in a grade 8 class and I chose to keep my scars hidden. This year I am working with an after-school Gay-Straight Alliance at a high school. I had been struggling with whether or not I should show my scars. Well, in a reflection paper I mentioned this. I mentioned feeling ready to show my scars, but still struggling with how it would effect my role as a facilitator. My professor's response to this was:

"I think we all have scars, it takes courage to reveal them as marks of who we are and where we've been."

Well, needless to say I cried out of joy to read this comment. How beautiful to hear that from her. How much love I have for her for that comment as well. To know that there are people in this world who feel that way and are so accepting gives me hope.

So, I did wear short sleeves for any one who is wondering. One of my students came up to me and said, "Um, I saw your arms and I just want to give you a hug." So she did :)

It struck up another conversation with a different student about how her girlfriend had struggled with self-harm.

Another student shared a piece of writing in which he mentions self-harm.

I see other students give a knowing look,sometimes fearful, sometimes surprised. I'm waiting for the day they are ready to ask about my scars, or tell about their own, perhaps.

I am just happy to know that I can be there to break stigmas, and perhaps help those of the younger generation feel less abnormal.

I hope that this story gives you the hope it gave to me :)

"You're in the bathroom carving holiday designs into yourself,hoping no one would find you.But THEY found you,and they took you,and you somehow survived."

Comely is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Hugs Given By :
Old 01-12-2011, 07:48 AM   #2
lonely_hope
I'm not worth the air I breathe

I am currently:

I think what you're doing is really good :) It's wonderful that you're so comfortable with your scars, and have been so open about it. Congratulations on being 13 months free as well! This was a lovely read :) Best of luck in everything *hugs*

"God take me, because I hate me" -Underoath
We are male and female. We are artists, athletes, and students. We have depression, PTSD, eating disorders, bipolar disorder, or maybe no diagnosis at all. Some of us were abused, some not. We come from all walks of life and can be any age. We are every race or religion that you can think of. Our common link is this: We are in pain. We self-injure. And we are not freaks.

lonely_hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:11 AM   #3
crazykat
Fight for another day

I am glad to hear it worked out so well for you. Well done

"Recovery is something that you have to work
on every single day and it's
something that doesn't
get a day off."

crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:20 PM   #4
silent_scars11

I am currently:

Very very inspiring! I'm glad this worked out so well for you.

"It's not a dream anymore. It's worth fighting for."

"Well, if it's not real you can't hold it in your hands
You can't feel it with your heart
And I won't believe it.
But if it's true
You can see it with your eyes
Oh, even in the dark
And that's where I want to be, yeah" - Paramore

silent_scars11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)