RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 18-06-2023, 10:55 AM   #1
Elmer
Patchwork Elephant

I am currently:
Everything feels impossible

Sorry to make a new thread when I've got one on this board already but this is semi-unrelated I think.

Basically, title. I've been having what I can only describe as existential anxiety - 'we're all slowly dying, all my friends are going to die, the climate crisis is going to mean the end of civilisation, ooh remember there's nuclear warfare too'. It comes in waves and makes life very difficult to navigate. On top of that, I just don't *want* anything. I don't want to do anything that used to bring me joy, I can't be bothered. Zero motivation. Exhausted. I don't know if it's meds or just me but I hate it - I'm turning into nothing. It's really not helping with my existing brain stuff either.

I guess I just wondered if anyone can relate/what you did to combat this? I'm letting people down because I'm not coping with my (minimal) obligations and I'd like to think I'm not being lazy but maybe I am? Maybe I'm just making excuses for my flaws? I don't know.

'It's an impossible choice ... I'll just have to hope that when I flip the coin it somehow explodes and kills me.'

"You're not scared of climbing mountains. You're scared that you can't make them move."

Jenna was here :P

Elmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2023, 03:01 PM   #2
Bellatrix
Voldemort's Bitch

I am currently:

YES

Completely. I periodically have moments where I just stare off into space and ponder the point of anything when we can see all these things that need doing and changing but no one will do it and they just ask each other things and give vague responses that don't answer anything at all. The destruction of humanity seems so devastatingly inevitable, I wonder if there's any point trying to engage with it at all.

BUT.

We have but one life, yes? We are here for our allotted time and we must take part in, and try to make better, the world we live in.

I find frequent breaks from news and social media helps curb the existential dread of feeling like you're looking down on the earth in despair and confusion while people just run around doing shitty things.

If this extends into other areas, and is affecting your ability to live your normal life, then is it possible you are experiencing a depressive episode? If so, it is better to get support now to prevent it becoming entrenched. <3

Imperfection is underrated.

Bellatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2023, 03:18 PM   #3
nonperson

I am currently:

I have no advice to give but want to say that I absolutely can relate to what you have written there - the existential dread, no joy, no motivation, wondering if it's just laziness that is the problem. It is a really sucky state to be in and I'm sorry you also feel the same way. I do think Bellatrix is right though (and maybe I should take this advice myself), that maybe it is a depressive episode? It is definitely not laziness, if it was I think you wouldn't care about it as much as you do.

nonperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2023, 04:18 PM   #4
Elmer
Patchwork Elephant

I am currently:

Thank you, both of you. It means a lot.

Frequent news breaks is something I try to do but I always get curious. I will try to be more strict with that I think. And yeah, I guess being lazy would probably be less stressful than whatever this is.

I have my depot on Tuesday and my friend is coming with me so I'll bring it up then - seeing the psych at the end of July but maybe they could talk to him in the meantime. People around me know that things aren't great but it might help to put it into words. Nothing to lose, right?

'It's an impossible choice ... I'll just have to hope that when I flip the coin it somehow explodes and kills me.'

"You're not scared of climbing mountains. You're scared that you can't make them move."

Old 18-06-2023, 07:17 PM   #5
Auror.
Camden

we tend to refer to ourselves as being in a perpetual existential crisis lol so yes can relate

no good words but definitely can relate

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.

Auror. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2023, 07:24 AM   #6
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

I get this too.
What gets me past it is the knowledge that i can do absolutely nothing about any of the things you mentioned (climate crisis, nuclear warfare etc.) So i may as well make the most of the time i have on this planet.

For what it's worth, i don't think you're lazy at all.
Battling your own brain 24/7 is definitely going to take it out of you.

I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Cacoethes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2023, 09:22 AM   #7
Elmer
Patchwork Elephant

I am currently:

Thank you for your replies <3

It helps that I'm not alone, but I'm really sorry you all can relate. Gonna do my best to make the most of the good things.

I think that this is probably affecting me more than is healthy, though I'm not sure whether it's something to medicalise - I'll definitely talk to CMHT about it though because it is affecting voices/etc.

Old 21-06-2023, 10:38 AM   #8
long road
Has less of a life than Pi.R^2

I am currently:

Did you manage to talk to someone at your depot appointment?

I can relate, I struggle with feeling powerless to do anything about these world level crises. But like Beckie said you only get one life, so I am just trying to live mine best I can.

QUACK!

long road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2023, 01:14 PM   #9
Elmer
Patchwork Elephant

I am currently:

Thanks Jen

I did speak to them and my friend helped when I lost my words. I had a really difficult moment at my volunteering yesterday evening and had to come home which is embarrassing and unacceptable. I've rung CMHT today to ask about speaking to someone before my psych appointment at the end of July, so will see if they call back.

I'm feeling a bit better today, I think. Just very frustrated.

Old 23-06-2023, 10:48 AM   #10
long road
Has less of a life than Pi.R^2

I am currently:

Sounds like you have a very good friend. Well done for speaking and for allowing your friend to help.

It sounds that it was really hard for you that you had to leave your volunteering. I would say that you do seem to being harsh to yourself though by saying it was unacceptable, you did what you had to do and removed yourself from the situation.

I hope you can get an earlier psych appointment.

I hope the feeling better has continued the last couple of days. I hear you on the frustration of your mental health limiting you on what you can do.

QUACK!

long road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2023, 01:25 PM   #11
Elmer
Patchwork Elephant

I am currently:

Thank you :)

I think my mood is definitely becoming more and more of a problem but I don't think that I'm likely to be able to see the psychiatrist any sooner - having an appointment three months after my last one is already a bit unheard of. I've got lots of support around me, and lots of strategies I can try. I'm struggling to apply the word 'depressed' to myself, mainly because it feels very clinical, and I don't like that, but at the same time I am seriously considering discussing antidepressants again.

It's been pointed out that I put a lot of pressure on myself and am harsher than I am to others, so I think that maybe focusing on reducing the guilt I have around being 'unproductive' might help - the beating myself up isn't actually increasing my productivity, all that's happening is I'm exhausting myself further by not letting rest be 'restful' if that makes any sense? I also might need to be more mindful of my physical limitations that still exist, mild though they may be.

Posting this for accountability, I'm going to try to take a week away from worrying about uni - it's all very up in the air and there's not much I can do while things are still uncertain so I just need to focus on staying alive and safe.

Old 23-06-2023, 04:45 PM   #12
Auror.
Camden

Rest, in itself, can be productive! If framing it that way helps at all.

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

Old 24-06-2023, 08:44 AM   #13
Elmer
Patchwork Elephant

I am currently:

Thank you Camden. I do try to remind myself of that. I think because objectively I don't do as much as most people day to day, letting myself rest guilt-free is harder. My friend pointed out that mentally things really aren't great at the moment, and it's hard to do more when mental health is bad, same as physical health.

I've not heard from CMHT and I honestly don't expect to until I go back on Friday for the CBT group, but I think that's OK. I don't think things are currently dangerous, just unpleasant. I'm limiting my access to the news/anything to do with the climate crisis and trying to find things I enjoy doing.

Old 25-06-2023, 11:49 AM   #14
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

Fwiw, I was talking to my counsellor the other week about how I probably need to choose a few 'causes' to be actively passionate about otherwise I'm going to burn myself out thinking about and trying to support everything I care about and she used my own phrase back at me "tell me you're neurodivergent without saying you're neurodivergent" and seemed to think the kind of overwhelming sense of injustice and wanting to fix lots of things at once could be a neurodivergent thing? I doubt that helps and you did say you didn't want to medicalise it so I've gone rogue.

Also I agree with what everyone else is saying. Why do you feel guilty about resting? Like I know you've said because others do more, but why does that lead to guilt? Do you think doing less in someway offends someone?

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2023, 12:35 PM   #15
Elmer
Patchwork Elephant

I am currently:

I think I've had a lot of epiphanies relating to neurodivergence recently, and the way I feel so deeply about so many things is probably something to do with that too, so something to think about maybe.

I am trying very hard to stop applying morality to rest and productivity, but it's difficult when it's such a long standing familial and societal belief system. I often convince myself that I could do more if I just tried harder, and sometimes that is true. My limitations are invisible (unless I am being very mad), and I know that some people in my life (myself often included) don't believe they are there, so when I find myself barely able (or unable) to cope with an hour of volunteering or a ten minute walk I judge myself harshly. I'm surrounded by people who work incredibly hard and who do their best to live life to the fullest on top of that and it's difficult not to get cross with myself when I can't even brush my teeth.

Last edited by Elmer : 25-06-2023 at 12:44 PM.

Old 25-06-2023, 03:47 PM   #16
The Worst Witch

I am currently:

I get it, Lio. I am also surrounded by people who work incredibly hard in different ways, and I do get judged for not being ‘enough’.

No wise words of wisdom, just wanted you to know you’re not alone in feeling like this <3

The Worst Witch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2023, 07:14 PM   #17
Elmer
Patchwork Elephant

I am currently:

Thank you x

Old 26-06-2023, 11:47 AM   #18
Elmer
Patchwork Elephant

I am currently:

Things are getting harder. I don't feel safe from myself and I don't feel safe from CMHT.
Nothing is right, I don't know who to trust.
I think there's something wrong with one of my cats and this feels like a tipping point.
I'm so tired.

Old 26-06-2023, 03:54 PM   #19
Auror.
Camden

Is there anyone who does feel safe? What's going on with your cat? Can you get them to a vet human? Thinking of you.

Old 26-06-2023, 06:07 PM   #20
Elmer
Patchwork Elephant

I am currently:

Thanks Camden. I've calmed down a bit now. It definitely comes in waves.

My cat is OK, I think. Keeping an eye on him.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)