RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 24-11-2017, 01:13 AM   #1
EmmaG123

Section 2

Hi just looking for some advuce this is all new to me.

My brother was detained on a section 2 yesterday and admitted straight away, can anyone tell me what we expect to happen in the way of care or further assesmemts as we are getting no info from his ward.

Thank you in advance xx

EmmaG123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 12:04 PM   #2
Aubergine
You've got this.

I am currently:

Hey.

This must be difficult for you. It can be so hard when family are unwell, especially when you're not completely sure what's going on.

I guess when it comes to further assessments and treatment etc, it really depends on what symptoms he's presenting with. They will observe him for a while and go from there; that's what usually happens. He will likely meet with a psychiatrist regularly and may have input from occupational therapists and a psychologist. It also depends on which hospital he is in, as what's available to patients often varies quite a lot from ward to ward.

You may find that you are not getting much from the ward because of their policies on confidentiality. They can't really share information about your brother's care without his explicit consent.

You're very welcome here. Keep posting if it's helpful and people will help as and when they can.

“Our defeats are softened and our victories are sweetened because we did it together.” - Toby Ziegler.

This isn't everything you are.

Aubergine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 07:16 PM   #3
Sketchy

I am currently:

A section 2 is a 28 day hold, but that doesn’t mean he will necessarily be there for all the time. I was allowed home earlier than that when I was on a section.

I think the best thing to do is to talk to him when you visit, because of confidentiality it will be hard to get information about him. Although you could ask him if it’s ok to speak to someone.

Keep posting here too. We’ll try our best to answer your questions. A lot of us have been through a section 2, so we do understand and can give you our experiences.

Remember to take care of yourself too. This is a stressful time for you and you deserve support too. Take care.

Lorraine

Sketchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 08:45 PM   #4
Cheryl88

I am currently:

I was on a Section 2 last year.

Basically I was sectioned for 28 days, however I was taken for something called a compulsory treatment order which, theoretically, could have seen me sectioned for up to six months. I was out after just under two months.

When your brother is detained his psychiatrist will try to give a diagnosis and medicate him. I remember my doctor visiting me almost daily and being surrounded by nurses all the time - just try to remember if he's in there it's probably for his own good and the chances are he'll be out soon.

All the best. xx

Cheryl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 11:59 PM   #5
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

A section 2 means your brother can be kept in hospital against his will for up to 28 days to be assessed for a mental illness. At the end of the 28 days the psychiatrist can apply for a section 3 in order to treat the illness for up to 6 months, or they can lift the section 2.

Your brother has the right to appeal the section, which I am sure they've informed him about. He'd need a solicitor for a formal appeal and I don't know the rules now about getting legal aid. He can also apply for a managers hearing to try to get the section lifted and I don't think you need a solicitor for that. But trying to get the section lifted is pretty emotionally draining and in many instances not a great idea seeing as there must have been some pretty serious circumstances for him to be sectioned in the first place.

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)