RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 25-01-2011, 12:23 AM   #1
Keyboard Warrior

I am currently:
Panic over choosing a course (art).

So I'm applying for an art&design course. I really want to do it, I love art but.

I'm... quite new to it all. I was homeschooled & we didn't really cover much "traditional drawing",etc. , it was mostly design. & I'm bricking it because I will probably take my portfolio in & they will all laugh.

When I was in hospital, we had structured art lessons & the art teacher gave me some confidence back in my abilities & told me to go on & study art. But like. I just tried to draw my self-portrait & it sucks.

I know this is a dumb thing to be worrying about & I've probably bored everyone to tears by this now but I'm really panicking.

Should I bother applying & just see where it goes? So many people have put me down cos of wanting to do this, I'm just losing faith...

Keyboard Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 12:28 AM   #2
hannahs04

I am currently:

Do it! have faith! EVERYONE has to start somewhere! You can do it, don't let other people tell you that you can't!

<3~Solo is my sissy~ <3

Don't look behind you, you aren't traveling that direction.

hannahs04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 12:54 AM   #3
makedamnsure

I am currently:

I don't know too much about art, because I'm pretty rubbish at it, but I know that everyone has different talents.

You might not be great at drawing people/self portraits (though I haven't seen it, so it could be great) so find something you can draw (still life, landscapes) or try a different style (cubist, impressionist, abstract...whatever you are good at). The course will include a lot of different aspects, and you don't have to be brilliant at them all.

Go for it if its what you want.

Courtesy
Integrity
Perseverance
Self Control
Indomitable Spirit

makedamnsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 01:01 AM   #4
clear_skies

What's the worst that can happen? You don't get accepted? You might feel embarrassed but I think NOT going for it when you probably have a good chance is much worse.

Give it a shot :)

clear_skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 02:09 AM   #5
Fry

I am currently:

Enthusiasm goes a long way when applying to start courses.

When you take your portfolio in, explain to them about your previous education and they will probably be understanding.

Stop thinking about what I want, what he wants, what your parents want. What do you want?

(Used to be ~sonic~)

Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 03:54 AM   #6
-Asphyxia-
-loser-

I am currently:

Go for it! I went to school for Fine Arts (Printmaking/metalsmithing), and honestly, everyone has to start somewhere. Sure, some people may have a bit more natural talent initially, but everyone is there for a reason and can improve. My one suggestion would be to meet with an advisor and have them explain the program to you a little bit, what types of courses are involved, etc.

As far as not being able to draw.....I know A LOT of artists that can't draw for crap - especially in the 3D area. Most I know don't even enjoy it, actually. lol

Let us know how it goes, and good luck!

-poisonous-

-Asphyxia- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 06:19 PM   #7
The Hierophant

i do an art degree & i can't draw people.
& i struggle to do anything else.

art used to be about how well you can draw/paint & at college they will help develop skills & give you guidance, if you do a btec though, chances are it'll be more about the ideas you have.

as conceptual art isn't so much about skill anymore, but ideas and how you produce ideas.

The Hierophant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 11:37 AM   #8
akita

I am currently:

I think you should do it too and if you decide that you can't then at least you have given it a shot and can do something else you love.

akita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 11:43 AM   #9
Emmabob.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by makedamnsure View Post
I don't know too much about art, because I'm pretty rubbish at it
maybe try connexions, see what they advise? i'm pretty sure they'd be able to point u in the right direction :)

Emmabob. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 05:35 PM   #10
whirlpools

In the three years I studied art for, I didn't really have to do any drawing, except the drawing that they taught us once a week. Drawing skills were considered important by my college, but the tutors didn't seem to expect the students to already know how to draw before we started. They didn't like pencil drawings anyway, and taught us how to draw with charcoal and indian ink, on a large scale. It was more about observation and free-flowing movements than anything too precise - everyone's earlier attempts were rubbish!

I did BTECs, (a National Diploma in Fine Art, and a Foundation Studies certificate) and like Erin said, it was much more about ideas development and creativity. But we did learn all sorts of different skills too, involving drawing, ceramics, 3D work and photography.

But if design is your thing, then maybe it's worth thinking about doing a course in something like Interior Design or 3D work?

whirlpools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 09:34 PM   #11
insidemyhead
time traveller

I am currently:

Go for it, i dont like it when people say that they're not good at art, love of the topic is all you need really, i believe art shouldnt have boundries because so many people give up on it and put themselves down, everyone is good at art, just in their own way. If you love it you go for it! And even if you dont know some stuff, they should be there to teach you, i had this when i started college at first, all over the summer i was trying to learn stuff because i thought they wouldnt teach and just expected you to know it. But they do teach you and they'll help you and in all honesty going into art with open eyes is the best way, a fresh canvas (excuse the pun) :).

Go for the enjoyment and dont worry about the self portrait and you never know it may be a masterpiece in someone elses eyes. If you enjoy it then there's no reason you shouldnt do it.

Sorry if this isnt very helpful, im just saying you should go for it and we have faith in you :)

“There is no sun without shadow, and it is essential to know the night.”

insidemyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 11:45 PM   #12
RenewedHope
formerly: Ghosted Liberation &amp;amp; GhostsInSnow

I am currently:

I think you should go for it :)
I was in a similar position to you not Last September but the September before. I wanted to do Music Tech at college but hadn't even done Music at GCSE and I'd only just started learning guitar. I thought I'd have problems with it but I passed my first year with top grades and am halfway through my second year with another year left after that.
What I'm trying to say is, in my opinion at least, if you have a passion for something, like you seem to with Art, then you're already halfway there :)

RenewedHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 10:23 PM   #13
Azmodan
So I said... Watch me?

I am currently:

Soph, you do what you want to do, and we'll have a big celebration in chat once you pass the course :)

You will by the way ;)

To say I'm completely devoid of morals, would be harsh. Although I would have to admit I find it difficult to give a ****.

Azmodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2011, 05:47 PM   #14
Keyboard Warrior

I am currently:

Thank youuu, guys! :D I've met with the tutors of the course about what they're looking for & I handed in my application today. Now to put the final touches on my portfolio & wait for the interview :) Hearing from you all has really helped, so thank you.

I will probably keep updating this >.>

Keyboard Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2011, 09:50 PM   #15
insidemyhead
time traveller

I am currently:

Brilliant that was a big step and very brave! Well done!!!!! Im so happy for you, you should feel really pleased with yourself xxx

“There is no sun without shadow, and it is essential to know the night.”

insidemyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:35 AM   #16
Controversy

I personally am really into art and have been my whole life. All I have to say is that anyone can become a great artist-of any sort, I seen lots of my peers go from stick figures to beautiful paintings. It just takes practice and if you really love it you won't mind working for it, you'll enjoy the practice. I hope this helped and I wish you the best of luck!

Controversy is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)