RYL Forums

Forum Jump

Old 23-07-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
Einmyria

I am currently:
General Medical Question - Non Urgent - Lightheadedness

I seem to be getting light headed a lot more than usual at the moment and I thought I'd ask about it here.

Last week I passed out, presumably because I was in quite a stuffy room and was overdressed due to wanting to keep full arm/leg cover. But I'm often overdressed so I was wondering if I was getting light headed more now than usual due to stress and anxiety? Can that form the base for lightheadedness and then overheating the thing that triggers it? I also haven't really been sleeping well if that could have anything to do with it?
I shall be doing a lot of physical activity for the next couple of weeks and could really do without passing out during it.

If it is stress/anxiety, how do I reduce the effects of that? The things causing it are out of my control so I can't do anything about that.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

Old 24-07-2010, 12:02 AM   #2
Bitter_Angel
*First Aid Advisor*

I am currently:

Do you have any eating issues?
And known problems with your blood pressure/ heart?
Does it come on at any particular times such as when you first stand up?

Eva. Gone, but never forgotten 27.3.10

Old 24-07-2010, 11:45 AM   #3
Einmyria

I am currently:

My eating habits are very irregular - I'll eat a lot some days but very little on others. But I don't think recently I've been eating particuarly little.
No known blood pressure or heart problems.
It is usually when I stand up, but I have been feeling it more after walking/physical activity recently too.

Old 24-07-2010, 02:26 PM   #4
Animad

I think if you can try and make your eating habits more regular that is likely to at least help, especially if you're doing a lot of physical activity. Also make sure you are eating enough if possible to keep up. The problem with not eating regularly is often then the overall amount (if you're not eating much on some days and things) is actually lower and as well as that it means your glucose and reserves of energy are not going to be as stable as what they could be which will make it more likely for you to become more lightheaded at times and possibly faint, especially after physical activity. So, that is where I'd begin. I'd maybe also get checked out at a doctors and make sure nothing else is going on as there may be something else too and if you are doing a lot of physical exercise you need to know.

The fact that it's more when you first stand up is fairly typical. It's often associated with a low blood pressure if it happens often but can be normal. So after you exercise a lot then make sure you drink plenty of fluids, preferably isotonic sports drinks like Lucozade Sport or Pwerade/ Gastorade and all the other home-brands which are now entering the market. They'll just replace any fluids lost with the exercise with the sorts of things that were lost like Sodium which is needed, amongst other things, to keep your BP up. The lightheadedness when you first stand is known as orthostatic hypotension. That means that when you sit your blood tends to naturally pool more towards your feet. Then, when you stand sometimes you don't have quite enough going to your brain causing lightheadedness, usually for only a few seconds, if it's longer or leads to fainting then you do need to get checked out or if it's happening a lot. It is also more likely the faster you stand and if you get out of a hot bath. You can also feel lightheaded getting out of a hot shower but that's more due to the temperature difference.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)