RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-01-2014, 01:12 AM   #1
Steel Maiden
There is no place like 127.0.0.1

Treatment-resistant schizophrenia.

I have tried 7 single antipsychotics (including clozapine) and 4 different combinations of antipsychotics. I've been on above the maximum BNF dose of olanzapine as well.

Still I am plagued by hours of voices a day, I see the Spies, I am finding it hard to leave the house, and my autistic meltdowns are worse as a consequence of stress from my symptoms. I'm also struggling to keep up with university, despite me being classed with a high IQ.

I cannot really block the voices out with music because the voices change the music and distort it. I'm not sure how to block the Spies out as they are trying to take over Earth and turn it into a Dictatorship.

My question is: is there anything that *will* work? I'm on 20mg olanzapine and 400mg amisulpride for the psychotic symptoms. I know a lot about psychopharmacology and I think something radical needs to be attempted here

Yes, I have been out of hospital for 26 months, which is great, but I struggle on a daily basis. I am also a fast metaboliser of olanzapine.

I've tried CBT for the voices / keeping myself away from going delusional. But every day I wonder if the Spies are thinking "what an idiot Oly is, she doesn't realise we're going to make her want to die".

I don't want to live the rest of my life with schizophrenia like this. I've had symptoms for 12 years already.

Can anyone offer insight or suggestions? I'm scared I'll under-perform in my uni degree, which will not do me justice, and that I could relapse very rapidly at any time. Only recently I nearly ended up in A&E, I wanted to save the world.

PM me if you want a PDF copy of the ICD-10 or the Mental Health Act 1983/2007. I ALSO HAVE THE DSM-V BOOK and am a pharmacology student.

I have a visual impairment / neurological problems so I need people to type in clear text and no funny fonts. Also excuse any typos, my vision blocks things out.
I have autism and have problems communicating, PMs included.
Just becasue I type well doesn't mean I speak well. I am only part time verbal.

Steel Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:05 AM   #2
snailonvalium
*~manda~*

I dont know if this will be helpful but have a look at "open dialogue", most of the information will be swedish/finnish based but there are some uk studies and trials.

snailonvalium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:47 AM   #3
Steel Maiden

Thanks. I'll have a look. I get full access to most research papers through my uni, which is useful too.

PM me if you want a PDF copy of the ICD-10 or the Mental Health Act 1983/2007. I ALSO HAVE THE DSM-V BOOK and am a pharmacology student.

I have a visual impairment / neurological problems so I need people to type in clear text and no funny fonts. Also excuse any typos, my vision blocks things out.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:30 AM   #4
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:

What about ECT? Sometimes it helps psychosis.

The average,
well-adjusted adult
gets up at 7.30am feeling just plain terrible.

Call me Kate.

I have dyslexia so please excuse my poor spelling and sometimes poor understanding.

Ballerina123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:44 AM   #5
Steel Maiden

I don't want to risk memory loss.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:25 AM   #6
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

I was also going to suggest ECT. Memory loss is usually short term- the hours or a couple of days surrounding the ECT itself.

There is also psychosurgery where I think one procedure is to create lesions on the brain to reduce symptoms (no idea how it works).

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:01 PM   #7
Epicene

I am currently:

^ I've known a few people who's memory loss covers years prior to ECT, not just the period itself. It is a huge risk, though that's not to say it isn't an option.

There is good evidence for open dialogue, CBT and other forms of psychotherapy. If medication appears to be making little difference, it may be more helpful to learn how to manage and live with the symptoms. How much psychology input have you had to date?

Epicene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:29 PM   #8
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:

Have you looked at the hearing voices network? I know it's not medication but I've heard very good things about it.

When we lose twenty pounds... we may be losing the twenty best pounds we have! We may be losing the pounds that contain our genius, our humanity, our love and honesty. ~Woody Allen
Is a chocolate muffin loving glitter ball

random.swirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:34 PM   #9
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:

I go to the hearing voices network and they are really good.

The average,
well-adjusted adult
gets up at 7.30am feeling just plain terrible.

Call me Kate.

I have dyslexia so please excuse my poor spelling and sometimes poor understanding.

Ballerina123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:10 PM   #10
Morpheus

I have treatment resistant schizophrenia too. I have like you tried just about all the meds they have with no particular improvements. I still hear voices all the time and get paranoia as well as a lot of negative symptoms. I am currently trying to go without meds.

I started going to group for people who hear voices about a yearago and find that really helpful, i am aldo being referred to a psychologist which i hope will help.

I am sorry i dont have a lot of advice but i felt i had to reply as i am in the same situation and know how frustrating it is.

Den fuldkomne kærlighed,
Kan ikke eksistere blandt ufuldkomne

Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:36 AM   #11
Steel Maiden

Thanks. I will look into the groups.

I've had various therapies. I am setting my psychologist for the last time tomorrow. He helps me mainly with my OCD but I'll ask his opinion.

I cannot risk memory loss because I am a uni student.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)