RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-08-2013, 04:02 PM   #1
eraider60

I am currently:
Just started my third year of college...

So, I have been thinking long and hard about my future, and I decided to take a one-year certificate course for welding that my college provides. Reason why is because I need to look into other options besides I.T., in case if there are no jobs that match the degree I have been going to college for. It's sad knowing that all the good jobs are slowly going away, but I know that there will always be a need for more welders.

I think I could like welding. I mean, the kit I ordered, which comes with a helmet, goggles, safety glasses, gloves, jacket, a wire brush, and a thing that knocks metal lag off welds, looks really neat. The biggest obstacle in my way is my math class. I have to take a math class for the program, and I struggle with math, but I'm not gonna let it stop me. Whatever happens, I intend to make something of my life, and I'm gonna see my path through.

eraider60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #2
Isoverity

I am currently:

Its good to know a trade. Back in the days of the Ottoman Empire the leaders had to be trained in a trade. Suleiman the Magnificent (died 1566) was a goldmsith.

IT is a tough area because it gets farmed out to cheaper areas just like manufacturing. Jobs also get filled with "new arrivals" looking to work for peanuts. Many IT guys I know are exhausted since their department's staff is cut down.

Interestingly though the new tech economy still calls for tech savvy workers and young people are getting decent jobs without a degree. Edward Snowden the NSA whistleblower was making 80,000 plus and only had a GED diploma.

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 12:22 AM   #3
ontheverge

I am currently:

Hey Eraider! I'm glad to hear you found something so cool that you are interested in! As far as the math goes I'm sure you will do fine! There is always the option of tutoring if it gets to be really difficult. I hope it all goes well! Keep us posted :)

ontheverge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 02:30 AM   #4
eraider60

I am currently:

Isoverity: That's very interesting to know. I heard from my mom today (she works at my college in the campus cafeteria) that she heard from her boss that the top 3 fields that are currently in demand are medical, construction, and trade jobs. Not sure if they're ranked in that order, but that's what I was told. And I didn't know that about the IT field, let alone Snowden. For now, I'm just putting I.T. on hold, because I need to think about my short term future for the time being.

Ontheverge, thank you for your words. They mean a lot. I hope you remember me because I remember you. :) We need to catch up sometime! :) And I know there's tutoring, and I intend to use the tutoring as much as I can. It'll be about 2-3 more weeks into the semester before I get to the hands-on part of welding, but I'm looking forward to it. I'm just looking to get a certificate proving I've accomplished something during my time in college. Anyway, glad to see you again, and hope to chat with you again. :)

Old 30-08-2013, 02:35 AM   #5
ontheverge

I am currently:

Just sent you a PM :)

ontheverge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #6
Isoverity

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eraider60 View Post
Isoverity: That's very interesting to know. I heard from my mom today (she works at my college in the campus cafeteria) that she heard from her boss that the top 3 fields that are currently in demand are medical, construction, and trade jobs. Not sure if they're ranked in that order, but that's what I was told. And I didn't know that about the IT field, let alone Snowden. For now, I'm just putting I.T. on hold, because I need to think about my short term future for the time being.
I would be careful about construction. One of the goals of immigration changes is cheap labor. In my state (NY) all the contractors who were citizens lost work to people who could underbid them substantially. its estimated that the new laws being considered will mean 40-60 million new people - many just laborers. I would definitely find something more exclusive. Now if you can use CAD on projects that's a huge plus. Medical is growing a lot but the new health-care will cut pay a lot if it goes through.

I know people who can write code that do well. They don't even have computer degrees but learned specific coding.

Old 30-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #7
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

My brother is a blacksmith, trades like that seem to be in demand because they're kind of dying out and I know there are only about 4 colleges in England that actually do the course.

Always going to be needed though.

I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Cacoethes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #8
Isoverity

I am currently:

A blacksmith or a farrrier (does horseshoes)? I've seen demand for a few of the latter but not so much the former.

Old 30-08-2013, 09:26 PM   #9
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

He had to qualify as a blacksmith first, then do a 5 year (i think) apprenticeship to actually become a farrier.
Apprenticeships are very hard to come by now though.

Farriers are very much in demand, they are around here anyway, our farrier gets booked up for months and months in advance, never short of work.

I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Cacoethes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 04:23 AM   #10
eraider60

I am currently:

Isoverity: I have no interest in construction. Just welding... And i thought i could learn coding, and thought about trying this website called code.org, but i heard it was soulless, because the way they advertised the site, they threw in random celebrities (along with the founder of Facebook and Bill Gates) to talk about how their jobs make coding an essential part of their jobs, which I think it was just a desperate attempt to get people to try the site... so i'm very reluctant and hesitant to try code.org..

Cacoethes: nice to know. i'll keep it in mind.

Old 31-08-2013, 09:55 PM   #11
Isoverity

I am currently:

Nice thing about welding is you can do it on your own as a business. There aren't too many welders around compared to other trades. I used to use a carbon-arc taking the gating off cast parts of famous sculptures. I only did it while at college/uni but I was sorry I didn't learn more.

I think coding you could teach yourself. There are lots of coding related torrents around

Old 01-09-2013, 04:02 AM   #12
eraider60

I am currently:

Isoverity: that sounds interesting. yeah, the one thing that sucks is the thought that you could have done more. i've had my share of those thoughts haunting me whenever i think about it. and i'll keep that in mind about the coding. i've always liked video games, so if i did teach myself coding, it could come in handy for if i ever decide to take on video game programming.

Last edited by eraider60 : 01-09-2013 at 04:04 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention some things..

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)