RYL Forums

View Poll Results: What do you call the big place you can take rubbish and recycling?
Tip 14 48.28%
Dump 13 44.83%
Household Waste Recycling Centre 4 13.79%
Other (please elaborate in a post) 2 6.90%
MOAR LESBIANZ 10 34.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 31-08-2021, 12:42 AM   #61
Auror.
Camden

If you're okay to PM I promise I won't share any info about your uni. Besides, I won't even know where it is!

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.

Auror. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2021, 12:53 AM   #62
Unbreakable.
We can try. We can always try.

I am currently:

I don't think it's very telling plus I am moving in a few weeks, so it would not be useful to get my location that way anyway. :P

I'll send it your way so you can see what you make of it :)

the sun

the moon

the truth

Unbreakable. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2021, 12:55 AM   #63
Unbreakable.

I am currently:

Also, they call it 'rubbish' when I personally would only ever say either 'trash' or maybe sometimes 'garbage'.

the sun

the moon

the truth

Old 31-08-2021, 08:16 AM   #64
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

I can confirm that Lana's university was talking about one or two skips that seem to be temporarily or permanently in place on campus, not dialect 'skip' meaning HWRC.

Lana has requested that I do not explain what a skip is, as she likes 'a little mystery' in her life, so I will end this post here.

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2021, 08:17 AM   #65
Pi.R^2

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbreakable. View Post
Also, they call it 'rubbish' when I personally would only ever say either 'trash' or maybe sometimes 'garbage'.
I suspect Camden will approve of this!

Old 31-08-2021, 10:12 AM   #66
nonperson

I am currently:

Foreigners tend to learn American English instead of British English! I blame TV and films (not movies).

nonperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2021, 02:02 PM   #67
Auror.
Camden

I don't think that's always true. Some of the exchange students I have met from Europe know British English and some do know American English! I think it might depend on who you learned it from?

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

Old 31-08-2021, 03:01 PM   #68
Unbreakable.

I am currently:

Well, actually, we learn British English for the first two and a half years of studying English them American English including discussing the differences in both varieties.

The books we used when I went to school had half German characters move to England in the first book and then one of their friends moved to the States in the third book.
We also learn a bit about South African and Australian vernaculars.

Mostly, we probably pick up loads of things from media we consume. With my lecturers, it largely depended on where they stayed when they were abroad during uni or teaching.
Funnily enough, most of the things I read when I was still reading was British, but like before World War II British with a concentrated interests in Victorian literature. But I would guess most English that I hear is American as it is TV shows and movies.

There also seem to be certain contexts when my American English is more noticeable than others?
I mean 'trunk', 'hood' and 'parking lot' are the most prominent ones apparently.

When it comes to accent people say different things. Obviously, there's always some German in there. One drunken randomer has once accused me of being American, Jenna's mum said I sound English, sometimes people have noticed I have apparently adapted some slightly Irish sounding sounds after living with my ex for a while. It's probably a mix of a few things and I imagine in a few years it'll be primarily 'German speaking British' or if I'm lucky I'll go a bit Norfolk.

(Note to Kiran- it's not only nighttime when I have a lot to say about a lot of things.)

the sun

the moon

the truth

Old 31-08-2021, 05:45 PM   #69
Zurg
Evil Emperor

I am currently:

I just jumped in to say that i really appreciate the randomness of this discussion :D

Zurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2021, 06:03 PM   #70
Auror.
Camden

I've been called Canadian before! Still unsure why.

Old 31-08-2021, 06:11 PM   #71
nonperson

I am currently:

I didn't say it was always true. My experience is that people pick up a lot of it from watching American TV and films.

That's actually all really interesting stuff, Lana! I didn't know British and American English were taught as separate things. I thought English was just English.

Old 31-08-2021, 06:33 PM   #72
Pi.R^2

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurg View Post
I just jumped in to say that i really appreciate the randomness of this discussion :D
ikr!

Alas, I have very little to offer at this stage of the discussion due to being very British. Apparently I am a weird mix of northern and Queen's English. I can also do my mother's accent (Northern Irish) and several people have commented on it being a highly accurate impersonation of her.

Lana, that is ridiculously interesting that you learnt a little about Australian and South African English. You seem to have been taught a comprehensive array of English variants!

Old 31-08-2021, 06:40 PM   #73
nonperson

I am currently:

Does that make Lana the most English of us all?

Old 31-08-2021, 06:57 PM   #74
Auror.
Camden

There's different dialects of sign language taught too :)

Old 31-08-2021, 08:14 PM   #75
Unbreakable.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonperson View Post
Does that make Lana the most English of us all?
Yes.
I hereby declare myself the Queen of the English.

I also have a whole ass degree in English Literal and Cultural Studies/English Linguistics. So I am Certified English I guess.

Camden- that has always baffled me, how there's basically dialects in sign language.
Apparently goats have dialects so different from each other that they legit can't communicate if they are from different countries or something. Also seems highly unnecessary.

I am also not sure I can actually claim my crown because I just got my studiosity feedback for my dissertation and it says 'please revise the absence of commas throughout your work'. f*ck that sh*t. I will probably not.

Last edited by Unbreakable. : 01-09-2021 at 12:01 PM.

the sun

the moon

the truth

Old 31-08-2021, 08:53 PM   #76
Auror.
Camden

I feel like goats are weird in general, so thus can't count for this purpose.

I have a tendency to overuse commas. Perhaps we should edit each other's works.

Old 31-08-2021, 09:00 PM   #77
Unbreakable.

I am currently:

Goats are amazing.

Haha
I wish that would work, only I would not be able to tell if a comma went there or not. In my defense, I can't do commas in any language, so I got that going for me.
I just hate editing in general because I do not see errors so it's legit just me reading my own work like five or six times without changing anything that isn't super obvious. Such a waste of time. And then I get feedback from lectures to check for spelling mistakes and it's annoying because I cannot see the spelling mistake and I do not know how to find them.

I'll stop ranting now. At least it's all going to be over in a few days.

the sun

the moon

the truth

Old 31-08-2021, 10:10 PM   #78
Pi.R^2

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbreakable. View Post
Apparently goats have dialects so different from each other that they legit can't communicate if they are from different countries or something. Also seems highly unnecessary.
Naked molerats have dialects/accents too! It's dependent on colony (copied from the queen, yes they have colonies and queens like ants do!) so if a naked molerat from a different colony gets near, they can recognise it as Highly Foreign and then block their tunnels and attack it with their teeth is necessary to keep The Foreigner out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror. View Post
I have a tendency to overuse commas. Perhaps we should edit each other's works.
Beat me to it! Same here- K read something I wrote recently and was nearly weeping at my meandering long sentences littered with commas.

Old 31-08-2021, 10:18 PM   #79
Unbreakable.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi.R^2 View Post
Naked molerats have dialects/accents too! It's dependent on colony (copied from the queen, yes they have colonies and queens like ants do!) so if a naked molerat from a different colony gets near, they can recognise it as Highly Foreign and then block their tunnels and attack it with their teeth is necessary to keep The Foreigner out.

Ah, the Priti Patel Method.

the sun

the moon

the truth

Old 01-09-2021, 04:20 AM   #80
Auror.
Camden

Hello yes on the topic of making tea, just saw a comic that was well related to our discussion. Link here

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)