RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-03-2013, 01:44 AM   #1
manics_revol

I am currently:
Psychoanalytical therapy?

Hi,

I had an appointment with a psychiatrist at hospital today, having been taken to A&E the week before last because I was suicidal.

The psychiatrist recommended that I try something called 'psychoanalytical therapy', but didn't really explain what it is. Can anyone help? All I know is that it's a long-term kind of therapy, often 12-18 months. He mentioned that it's the kind of therapy that's often depicted in movies, and that it's often autobiographical...

Thanks!

manics_revol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:10 AM   #2
PassedExpectations
a mirror that reflects it

I am currently:

if it is freudian, i would be really wary

this is my magical medicine cabinet. Left to right they contain: courage, hope, calmness, and strength.

The magical part: They NEVER run out, so borrow some any time you want.

PM me anytime, I love getting messages :)
Katie

PassedExpectations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:11 AM   #3
Stellata

I am in psychoanalytic based therapy, well, analytic based therapy focused on working through relationship/attachment and similar difficulties. It also includes body process/trauma work, so it's a bit mixed.
Most analytic therapy these days is not pure Freudian.
The key is in where your prospective therapist trained - which I guess you don't know yet.

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:42 PM   #4
manics_revol

I am currently:

The doctor at the hospital said he would email me with some options for psychoanalytical therapy (although he hasn't yet)... what should I be looking for then? He mentioned that the Centre for Freudian Studies (or something like this) was one of the options...

Thanks

Old 06-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #5
Stellata

Well, basic Freudian analaysis is focused around understanding the drives to creativity and destructiveness, and reaching towards the ability to love and work. Dreams and fantasies and the transference [putting past relationship trauma experiences into the present to try and resolve them] may be used as part of this process.
I know some people are repulsed by Freudian ideology, but things really have changed and those basic core issues are at the heart of really good therapy that is based on or includes Freudian thought.

Also, once you get the list of options, you're welcome to pm me and I'll explain a bit more about the different kinds. :)

[As well as being in analytic psychotherapy, I have also done some psychotherapy training which included a lot of psychoanalytic theory].

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:29 PM   #6
manics_revol

I am currently:

Thanks, that's very kind of you to offer... once I've been sent the various options I will certainly take you up on that

Old 08-03-2013, 08:09 AM   #7
K8EB
My religion is kindness. Dalai Llama

I am currently:

I second everything that Stellata said.
I had psychoanalytic therapy for 7 years (privately). I found it very helpful as it explores early experiences and unconscious motivations, desires and fears. The exploration of how my relationship with my therapist mirrored early relationships (transference) was especially useful. It didn't 'cure' my difficulties but it gave me a way to think about them and experiences that I needed and had missed in early infanthood in order to cope.
I've also studied psychodynamic theory and therapies as part of my degree and because my therapist suggested books to read. You can get a flavour of the kind of thing it involves from Irvin Yalom's books. They are really accessible, up to date and fascinating case studies of Yalom's patients.
You are very lucky to have been offered it as its rarely available on the NHS!

K8EB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:35 PM   #8
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

I am in a psychoanalytic group, but I see no evidence of the supposed psychoanalysis. We don't seem to use any Freudian techniques.

I would suggest you give it a go to see if it helps you, you won't really know what type of therapy will suit you until you try it.

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:16 PM   #9
manics_revol

I am currently:

Sadly it's not on the NHS (apparently there's a 12-month waiting list)...

Old 11-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #10
Steel Maiden
There is no place like 127.0.0.1

I was assessed for something similar once and the psychologist and I decided it would be useless for me, but I think that's because of my autism.

PM me if you want a PDF copy of the ICD-10 or the Mental Health Act 1983/2007. I ALSO HAVE THE DSM-V BOOK and am a pharmacology student.

I have a visual impairment / neurological problems so I need people to type in clear text and no funny fonts. Also excuse any typos, my vision blocks things out.
I have autism and have problems communicating, PMs included.
Just becasue I type well doesn't mean I speak well. I am only part time verbal.

Steel Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:04 PM   #11
K8EB
My religion is kindness. Dalai Llama

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Maiden View Post
I was assessed for something similar once and the psychologist and I decided it would be useless for me, but I think that's because of my autism.
Yes, if you're on the spectrum they tend not to use it as it involves a lot of interpreting symbols and fantasies which some people with autism find difficult or unhelpful.

K8EB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #12
Steel Maiden
There is no place like 127.0.0.1

^ yeah

PM me if you want a PDF copy of the ICD-10 or the Mental Health Act 1983/2007. I ALSO HAVE THE DSM-V BOOK and am a pharmacology student.

I have a visual impairment / neurological problems so I need people to type in clear text and no funny fonts. Also excuse any typos, my vision blocks things out.
I have autism and have problems communicating, PMs included.
Just becasue I type well doesn't mean I speak well. I am only part time verbal.

Steel Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:55 PM   #13
manics_revol

I am currently:

So this is what the hospital psychiatrist sent me:

Quote:
Guild of Psychotherapists 0207 401 3370
SITE for contemporary psychoanalysis 07980865040
Foundation for Psychotherapy 08456031960
Philadelphia Association 03001231708
I was expecting something a bit more actually helpful than that if I'm honest. Anyway, I had a bit of a look and it seems that a session is around £35-£50, which is more than I'd been led to believe and also more than I can afford really (even though I'm significantly above the threshold to qualify for the low-cost stuff).

Now I feel like it was all a bit of waste bothering to go through that process.

Old 13-03-2013, 12:42 AM   #14
LegoGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassedExpectations View Post
if it is freudian, i would be really wary
I'm not sure this a useful reply. It's a massive generalisation at best. I'm in Psychoanalytic psychotherapy now and it has helped me more than any other kind. Pm me if you have questions.

LegoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)