RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 30-03-2009, 10:39 PM   #1
Ami
Perfectly Flawed

I am currently:
Gerbils!!! (Or other little rodents!)

Me and my boyfriend bourght a gerbil each with gerilerium and all the bits. We've got a mineral stone so they can chew on it for there teeth and get some vits and minerals too, and we have tubes we put in the sawdust for them.

I have a white one called Jeremy and he has a black one called Jack.
They are really fun to watch! They dig tunnels and run about everywhere. We've bourght them on saturday and left them alone to settle in for a bit, but everytime the back one is out and i move, he scurries back off, hopefully he'll be okay in a few days??

Tell me about you're little furry friends
anything useful you would recommend to buy for them??

I may take some photos tomorrow!

I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.

Ami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 10:55 PM   #2
Tuesday

Awww! I'd like to see some pictures :) I've had 4 mice in the past. I got 2 from a pet store and they got really sick, so I let them go. The 2 that I got after that stayed much healthier; they were white feeder mice. My mom always got freaked out by them but I think rodents are cute! :P I liked to rearrange their tunnels and stuff every time I cleaned the cage, and it's cool how even little tiny animals like mice have personalities too, like one of them was shyer than the other. Lol.

As for anything to buy for them, my mice always loved the little wooden "house" that they could hide and sleep in. Plus if it's wooden, they could chew on it.

Tuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 10:58 PM   #3
Ami
Perfectly Flawed

I am currently:

I know.. lol, they drag the bedding type material through the tunnels they dig and store food there too, you can see through the glass :)

I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.

Ami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 11:00 PM   #4
Tuesday

Haha, yeah I guess it's just rodent instict to do that :P

Tuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 11:04 PM   #5
Kuwairo
無声叫び

I am currently:

They're so interesting to watch :)

I used to have gerbils. They'd chew on EVERYTHING and mum always went mad because I managed to get soil and sawdust everywhere =]. For entertainment you don't need to spend much money. Toilet roll tubes, small cereal boxes, things like that. My gerbils had a metal wheel because they chewed the plastic one til just the stand was left.
He should be ok with you and your boyfriend soon, but you need to get them used to being handled sooner rather than later. Start by putting your hand in the cage/tank/whatever. Just leave it there for them to investigate. You'll probably get bitten, but if you do that for a bit and gradually get to touching them, and then picking them up but with your hand still in the cage, then eventually you'll get to hold them whereever and it'll be much less stressful for them than just picking them up straight off, and they'll get used to your scent too.
I sound like a know it all, sorry. I'm not really, I just have a friend who really loves her rodents (she has 30+ mice).

I've got ham but I'm not a hamster :)

Kuwairo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 10:47 AM   #6
bexidecimal
squidgey mc pokeson

I am currently:

put in something of yours ? it will smell like you so they will get used to the smell, like a sock or somehting (not a nasty old dirty one lol)

then just gradually pick them up, first in the tank, then outside of it, just be patient =]

ive had loads of rodents, right now we have some spiny mice, a rat (the other one died) and some ferrets... but weve always had rats and gerbils and things in the past =] sounds like your having fun with them =] good luck and show us photos! =D

smile, your beautiful

if someone hates you, be proud that youve done something worthwhile enough for them to disaprove of

if life doesnt go right.. go left =]

bexidecimal is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)