RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-07-2009, 05:16 AM   #1
Ami
Perfectly Flawed

I am currently:
Student Loans

What bank would be the best to open with??
I Dont have a clue!

I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.

Ami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:35 AM   #2
Isoverity

I am currently:

I can't say much about particular banks (being in US) but inflation is a baby's breath away from going wild so (at this time) I do not fear debt since the value of debt is going to be eroded.

Last edited by Isoverity : 03-07-2009 at 03:48 PM.

"Not all those who wander are lost" Tolkien

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:35 AM   #3
The One Who

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl Afraid View Post
What bank would be the best to open with??
I Dont have a clue!
Do you mean to put your loan into? Or to get the overdraft? The 'best' one depends on what you want it for and which banks are near you.

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:33 AM   #4
Dicky T
Cheesy Balls

Well, I believe that Natwest give you a railcard for 5 years when you sign up and something like £1500 overdraft.
I went with Halifax which gives you the possibility of £3000overdraft which could come in serious hady when you're inevitably broke.

Just have a scout around and see what you can get.

Dicky!

Please listen to my music by clicking on the link below:

Dicky T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:43 AM   #5
bobidrawpictures

As Dickie said, Natwest do a free railcard for 5 years adding upto £120 which gives you a third of all rail fairs, though their overdraft is only £1500, Halifax overdraft is double that at £3000, but doesn't have the student incentive of a rail card, but at only £20 ish a year it's not a biggy.

So yea get one with an authorised overdraft as they are very useful!

bobidrawpictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:50 AM   #6
shadow-light
He was no dragon. Fire cannot kill a dragon

I am currently:

one quick point... check what there are branches f in whatever city you are going to

I did have a HSBC account when I first came to uni, but then I discovered that the closest branch was in Edinburgh when I'm in ABerdeen!!! (worlds local bank my ***) so I changed to RBS lol

shadow-light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:51 AM   #7
The One Who

I am currently:

Just to point out that the vast majority of students will not get the full £3000 Halifax overdraft in the first year. You'll probably get something like £1000 in the first year and then you can build up throughout your degree.

The railcard is good if you'll be using trains a lot. But I couldn't even tell you where my nearest NatWest branch is, so it's not so good for me.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:53 AM   #8
bobidrawpictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by The One Who View Post
Just to point out that the vast majority of students will not get the full £3000 Halifax overdraft in the first year. You'll probably get something like £1000 in the first year and then you can build up throughout your degree.
This is the same for the majority of banks, so at natwest you only get a limit of £750 the first year and build it up to £1500 from there, if I am not mistaken?

Old 03-07-2009, 10:55 AM   #9
shadow-light
He was no dragon. Fire cannot kill a dragon

I am currently:

I'm starting to wonder if anyone every builds up to the full limit anywya... I mean mine is MENT to go up to £2600, but I'm going to have been here 4 year sin september and am still on £1400

shadow-light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:56 AM   #10
The One Who

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobidrawpictures View Post
This is the same for the majority of banks, so at natwest you only get a limit of £750 the first year and build it up to £1500 from there, if I am not mistaken?
I'm not sure. I don't have an overdraft. It's just that the £3000 is very tempting and pretty much no one will get it in their first year, and they'll be lucky to get it in their later years too. It really is best to sit down and work out which account is the most beneficial for your own situation.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:59 AM   #11
bobidrawpictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by The One Who View Post
I'm not sure. I don't have an overdraft. It's just that the £3000 is very tempting and pretty much no one will get it in their first year, and they'll be lucky to get it in their later years too. It really is best to sit down and work out which account is the most beneficial for your own situation.
I would agree it's beneficial to sit down and work out which is best for the persons situation, If they get account information it tells them information such as overdraft limit for each year etc.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:23 PM   #12
Ami
Perfectly Flawed

I am currently:

do you say the branch you want your account to be based at in middlesbrough where i live now or portsmouth where i will be going? x

I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.

Ami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:52 PM   #13
The One Who

I am currently:

Where you will be going is probably better since that's where you'll be spending most of your time and will be needing most of your money. Also, if there's any problems it'll be more practical to get to.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:55 PM   #14
88shelz
be positive

I am currently:

for my student loan i got it through the college i was at.
you only pay back a £1 a wee when u are working or earning enough

88shelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:07 PM   #15
The One Who

I am currently:

What you pay back depends on what you earn. You pay back 9% of what you earn over £15,000. So if you earn £15,000 exactly you won't pay anything, and if you earn £20,000 then you'll pay back 9% of £5,000 which is £450 per year or £37.50 per month.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:23 PM   #16
[Purple_Rain]
Forum Mod

I am currently:

I've still got to sort out all the loans and grants and stuff i may or may not be entitled too. As for which bank to put your money in, find out which ones are near your uni, then have a look at their policies/offers (in detail)

"I would be almighty in my own world of art, even if I had to paint my pictures with my wet tongue on the dusty floor of my cell." -Picasso
"No, painting is not done to decorate apartments. It is an instrument of war." - Picasso

'I have scars becuase I have a past; but they, like my past, do not define my future'

[Purple_Rain] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:32 PM   #17
griddlebone
Head of Chat/Forum Mod.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobidrawpictures View Post
Not true!I had my account with Natwest, went in there and asked for an over drafted and they gave me £1500 overdraft.

I hate natwest so much,if youre not looking for an overdraft etc,lloyds is good :) xx

There are times to stay put, and what you want will come to you.
But there are times to go out into the world and find such a thing for yourself.
I aint no abacus but you can count on me.

griddlebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 03:56 PM   #18
Dreaming.
You are free.

I am currently:

My 'original' natwest overdraft was £1250. I think that's fairly standard now.

I reduced it this year; it's all very well getting a £3000 overdraft, but you've got to pay it back at some point, so I worked it out as getting an overdraft that I could pay off working one month full time.
It was partly experience; I got to my overdraft limit last year, and despite me working 30 hours a week, I still couldn't pay it off, so I'm still somewhat stuck in this overdraft, and I don't like it!

:)

But yeah - check around for student accounts, check what deals they've got, the overdraft, and the interest rates (just in case you do go over). One of my friends is with the Co-operative and loves it - and it's ethical - but they're quite few and far between.

Both Middlesbrough and Portsmouth are quite big, so should have most branches, but it's still worth checking. It comes in handy when you want to pay in cheques and stuff :)

Dreaming. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:24 PM   #19
red_ragdoll

I am currently:

go for a student account, but still be careful.

my uni mentioned that interest for the student loans (form student loans company- not bansk) will be 0% interest starting sept; not sure if thats for everywhere but for northern ireland thats what we were told - whether thats correct or not i dont know.

red_ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:35 PM   #20
Rhuben
I call it dreaming... they call it madness.

I am currently:

Don't go for gimmicks like Rail Cards, you should pick a bank of the basis of availability, reputation, and quality of service. Gimmicks might look nice but at the end of the day its the other three that are more important.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money.
They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with.
Some men just want to watch the world burn.

The Dark Knight

Rhuben is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)