RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-09-2012, 05:42 AM   #1
Panda in a Coma

I am currently:
Scared!

I have an appointment at a mental health clinic in about a week to get "evaluated" & I'm terrified! I'm so freakin scared about what they're going to say! I've never taken any perscription medication in my whole life & I'm scared they're going to drug me up! I'm scared of having side effects! I'm scared if I tell them that I'm suicidal they're going to lock me up! I'm just scared!

"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain"

Panda in a Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Hugs Given By :
Old 06-09-2012, 06:17 AM   #2
Panda in a Coma

I am currently:

I almost want to cancel the appointment but I know I need the help!

Old 06-09-2012, 08:49 AM   #3
~invisible~girl~

I don't know where you live, so I can't say for sure, but over here, they're not going to "lock you up" just because you say you feel suicidal. Heck, half the time they wouldn't even lock you up if you actually attempted suicide in their office, right in front of them, during session.

As for medication side effects... I've been on quite a few psychiatric medications, and have only ever had side effects from exactly one medication, which I tried for a couple days for ADHD and ended up going back to what I was on before because of the side effects of the new one -- other than that, I've had exactly zero side effects. Well, apart from that I sometimes feel more alert after taking my stimulants (for ADHD) in the morning when I didn't get enough sleep the night before, which is technically considered a side-effect, but is more like an extra little bonus than a reason not to take the meds. With just that one exception, the only reasons I've switched meds have been to see if something else would help even more -- side effects have never been any issue at all. Of course, for many people they are -- there's certainly nothing wrong with you if you do experience some side effects -- but as likely as not, you'll be able to find a medication or combination of medications that work for you with basically no side effects, or at most, with very mild and entirely tolerable side effects. And honestly, they might not even give you any medication at all unless you specifically ask for them. Unless there's really good reason to believe that medication would be particularly helpful (for certain disorders and symptoms, medication really is just the best treatment option), most mental health professionals tend to favor therapy over meds to start with. And if they do prescribe meds straight off, there's generally a very good reason, and really, you should just be glad it was that easy (therapy, although definitely worth it, is a lot harder than simply swallowing a pill each morning -- having experienced both, I very much prefer meds to therapy on a short-term basis, even though I understand that for many things, therapy will help more than meds in the long-run, and I do my best to go with therapy rather than meds if that's what's going to help the most overall).

I know how hard it can be to go in at all. Or to open up to them when you do go in. But I promise you it's worth it. Whatever you have to do to make yourself go (even if it's self-destructive, just as long as it's not life-threatening), do it, and just get in there. Honestly, I'd rather see you do something that's bad for you but get in there and get help than not do that thing and not go in for the appointment and start getting the help you need. Ideally, you can go in for your appointment without engaging in SI or any other negative behavior. And if you can do that, that's totally awesome, and it definitely doesn't have any impact on how much you "deserve" to get help -- if you're struggling, or feel you need help for whatever reason (we're not always good at seeing how much or why we need help... at least, I'm not... and whether it seems like you need help for the most trivial of things, as a matter of life and death, or anywhere in between, you absolutely do both need and deserve help just as much as anyone else, no matter how much more or less "sick" they may seem... chances are, if you truly had *all* the information -- which no one but G-d can really have/know -- you'd see that anyone you're tempted to compare yourself to is actually no more or less "screwed up" or "sick" than you are, they simply express it in different ways or have different issues they need to work on). But if you need to engage in some type of destructive behavior (SI or otherwise) in order to get in there and get the help you need, I'd have to say, I think it's worth it. As much as I want for you to be safe and happy, and take care of your self, I think that getting competent and appropriate professional help is even more important, and whatever it takes for you to get in there, it's worth it. Definitely some people can do it with no problems at all (and even for people for whom it's a struggle, it might be only some of the time -- personally, there are times when I can deal with these things in a completely healthy way, and other times when I'll end up cutting, and drinking, and I don't even know what else, to even have any chance at all of making it in, and I still may end up not turning up at all... and best I can figure, it's completely random how it goes... I'm sure there's plenty of reasons why I react the way I do each time, but I've yet to make any progress at all figuring out what any of those reasons might be), and for others it's virtually impossible, or it could be anywhere in between... fact is, no matter how you feel about it is normal (sounds silly I think, but honestly there's such a wide range of "normal" that I actually believe that's true, and not just something to make you feel better or whatever). And whatever you need to do to make it in for your evaluation, I promise it's worth it. If there's anything I or anyone else can do to help please let me/us know -- we're all here for you. I know it can be absolutely terrifying to go in for an evaluation... but it can also turn out to be one of the best things to happen in your life, so just go for it, and let us help you any way we can.

Emily

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This Is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

~invisible~girl~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:54 PM   #4
Wonderful.
Pathetic.

It is normal to be scared, I was terrified too when I had mine. I can tell you though it is unlikely they will 'lock you up' in fact they try every possible other option before it comes to that, particularly if you've asked for the help. Hospital is used as a very last resort as it can worsen what is wrong with you, so try not to worry about that.
What happens basically is you sit down, and are asked a bunch of questions, just be as open and honest as you can and they will basically assess what care/treatment you need. That doesn't always mean you'll be prescribed medication, they might try therapy or something else, but if they do prescribe meds, you are perfectly within your right to have an opinion, and to get all the details before you agree to take anything.

Don't cancel the appointment, it is great you have recognised you need help, and whatever happens, happens. I'm guessing life feels pretty crap for you right now, and without help in whatever form it may come, it is better than continuing to struggle alone. Be brave, you can do it!
All the best, let us know how you goes!

~Beauty without intellence, is a materpiece painted on a napkin.~
Thank you for everything

Wonderful. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:57 AM   #5
crazykat
Fight for another day

It's normal to feel scared, they will expect that so will try their best to make you feel more at ease. It is unlikely that they will want to lock you up, usually that is used as a last resort. They will try other options first. Also tell them your concerns about being on medication if they do decide to put you on it that way they can help you feel more at ease. Good luck

"Recovery is something that you have to work
on every single day and it's
something that doesn't
get a day off."

crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:07 AM   #6
Panda in a Coma

I am currently:

My appointment is thursday & I'm so nervous I'm sick to my stomach!

Old 12-09-2012, 10:37 AM   #7
crazykat
Fight for another day

Can you try and do something else in the meantime to try and keep your mind off it a bit? There is a great list of distractions here.

something that doesn't
get a day off."

Old 13-09-2012, 12:39 AM   #8
Fire Fly
Feel free to be yourself

I am currently:

Good luck at your appointment tomorrow (well later on today haha). Just be honest and hopefully you will get the help and support you deserve xxx

Ballerina123 - My lovely superstar

Call me R -

The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time - Abraham Lincoln

Fire Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 06:38 AM   #9
Panda in a Coma

I am currently:

Went to my appointment today. Evaluation was kinda hard. Got asked a bunch of painful questions that I didn't want to answer 'cause I'm so freakin tired of crying but managed to get through it. Have another appointment monday with a therapist but actual appointment with a psychiatrist isn't til november. Hoping I can get some kinda control over myself til then so I won't have to get perscribed anything.

Old 14-09-2012, 08:41 AM   #10
crazykat
Fight for another day

Well done for getting through the appointment, even though it was hard.

something that doesn't
get a day off."

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)