Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 30-10-2013, 09:27 AM   #1
Snow White.
I am a fairy.

I am currently:
Aromatherapy

Hello!

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever tried aromatherapy for anxiety or depression?

I am currently using an oil burner and burning a mixture of lavender (calming) and geranium (settles nervous system).I find it helpful but I might be biased because I really like scents, I find they ground me. Also I breathe deeper to take in the smell.

Also I quite like the idea of something natural being able to assist in low levels of anxiety.

Anyway would love to hear what others think or if you've tried it :)
xxx

Snow White. is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Hugs Given By :
Old 30-10-2013, 02:13 PM   #2
Ktulu

Yes I sometimes use aromatherapy for relaxation. A few years ago my aunty got me a lovely lavender pillow spray when I was in hospital and that's when I saw the benefit of it. For me, I don't think it's the actual scent itself that calms me, but rather the association I have with it. I strongly associate scents with memories, good or bad, and can find 'good' scents very calming and can make me feel safe. A non aromatherapy example: my mom, aunty and cousin all wear the same perfume and if I smell it, I instantly think of them and feel safe.

I don't burn oils, but I have little spray bottles that I add water to and a combination of oils, shake really well and use as an air freshener, spray on bed linen, clothes etc (provided it is safe for the fabric). I find this calming and like to be able to make up my own combinations.

Be kind - everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle

Ktulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:19 AM   #3
DUNFERMLINEBOY
Struggling Inside

I am currently:

Yep Aimee and as well as burning the oils i would highly recommend that you book yourself an Aromatherapy massage as well because the oils are then getting deep into the tissues, and the smell stays on ya for a couple of days and gives u that relaxed feel! So yeah would highly recommend xx

Life is a Wonderous thing

Supporters

DUNFERMLINEBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:47 AM   #4
Snow White.
I am a fairy.

I am currently:

Thanks so much Craig :)

Old 06-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #5
Cedrus

I am currently:

Just wanted to say something I learnt (can't remember where though) - too much lavender can have a paradoxical effect and make you hyper.

sticks and stones may break your bones but words can tear your heart out.

Cedrus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
Snow White.
I am a fairy.

I am currently:

Oh thank you Cedrus that's very important to know! Really appreciate it :)
I'll keep mixing it with my Geranium so I don't use too much.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #7
Cedrus

I am currently:

No worries. Lol, I remember once where me sleeping was non-existant and i put a load of lavender oil on my pillow, got into bed and started feeling ultra excited about the prospect of sleeping....sleep took a while that night to show its face.

Have you thought about getting a nice handkerchief and putting some oils on it so when you are out you can have something that helps you relax? I'm not sure if you'd need a base oil though, i know you do if you want to use oils as a perfume. Having something nice to smell can be comforting.

Also, for anxiety outside I find having something to fiddle with really helpful - I have a small glass stone with a face engraved into it and i take it to class/appointments with me and it helps.

sticks and stones may break your bones but words can tear your heart out.

Cedrus is online now   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)