RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-01-2016, 02:31 PM   #1
EyelinerAndCigarettes

I am currently:
Therapy issue.

Hey all,

So I've a bit of a conundrum going on. I've been seeing my current therapist from the ED team for 5 years now, I trust her & she's very helpful when it comes to my eating disorder but not so much with the PTSD.

I've been referred by my CC to the PTSD service & am having an assessment on the 14th this month. The problem is that I don't know how this is going to work around my current therapist. She isn't that familiar with trauma & often doesn't really know what to say - currently were quite stuck & base our sessions on how I'm doing on that day/week & simple techniques around grounding & breathing. I asked her a while ago what type of therapy we're doing & she said 'a bit of everything', which I don't find that helpful as there isn't a structure to our sessions & sometimes we just go round in circles. However, I do really trust my therapist, she was the first person I told about the abuse/rapes, we've built up a good relationship & I'm not sure I want to start up from the beginning with a new therapist but at the same time this current situation isn't getting me anywhere fast. On the other hand though, I do need to see her in regard to recovery from my ED.

Any ideas of where I could go from here would be helpful.

EyelinerAndCigarettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 02:33 PM   #2
Unbreakable.
We can try. We can always try.

I am currently:

Have you discussed this with your CC and/or therapist?
Maybe there is some sort of plan being worked on already.

the sun

the moon

the truth

Unbreakable. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 02:50 PM   #3
tiptoes
Forum Mod

I am currently:

It can be challenging to juggle different professionals.

Thoughts that have sprung to my mind are...

What level of support will the PTSD service provide?
How do you get on with your CC? Could they provide the ED support?
Would a meeting with all involved be a good idea to work out the best course of action thinking about things that will be beneficial in the short term as well as the long term?

In my dreams I slew the dragon

tiptoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:35 PM   #4
Uglyducklin

I am currently:

Hi Helen I am pleased that you find her helpful. I have had treatment under both trauma and eating disorders services simultaneously , I think it is frequently recommended as worsening of symptoms is often expected when dealing with trauma. My situation is somewhat similar as the person I see for eating disorders doesn't always understand the complex PTSD side even though like you she was the first person I discussed my abuse with. Do you feel able to raise your concerns with one or both teams. My sessions also are not that structured and is often just a safe place for me to fall apart. Sorry I'm not making much sense . Thinking of you .

Uglyducklin is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)