RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-05-2014, 04:18 AM   #1
OkieDokie

I am currently:
Dealing with longterm unemployment - How do you do it?

So I've been looking for a stable job for a couple of years now. At the moment I'm delivering papers as it's the only thing I've been able to get, although I only earn on average $30/week, sometimes as little as $15 - impossible to live on. I've moved back in with my parents as I used up all of my savings for rent and bills when I was living independently. I rarely go out as I don't have a car and public transport here is very expensive and there aren't any unemployed/low income concessions (travelling from here to city centre for work/volunteering costs about $50 a week). It's just really hard, and I hate how depression ruins my whole life. I actually really do want to go back to work, I'm a university graduate etc, but my spotty work history and mental illness just makes it hard. My partner is frustrated with me because I appear apathetic, but in reality the constant rejections (literally like 1000+ applications over maybe a 3 year period - I've really applied for everything) leaves me feeling worthless, like I'm not good enough. I mean, how can you believe in yourself if all the feedback you get is rejection?

I even got desperate and recently did a Cert III in Aged Care, but low and behold, the industry is flooded with cert III jobseekers and there aren't many jobs available anymore. Sigh. I'm just finding it hard to keep trying. Everyone around me has come to the conclusion that I'm a lost cause, which is hurtful as well.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein :)

OkieDokie is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Hugs Given By :
Old 06-05-2014, 08:29 AM   #2
OkieDokie

I am currently:

31 views and not a single reply...thanks guys.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein :)

OkieDokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:15 AM   #3
crazykat
Fight for another day

Your not a lost cause, your still trying despite the rejections and that counts for alot. Have you thought about maybe doing some voluntary work? That will help give your resume a bit of boost and looks good to perspective employers.

"Recovery is something that you have to work
on every single day and it's
something that doesn't
get a day off."

crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:58 PM   #4
Kathryn_Anna
Chat Mod

I am currently:

I agree with crazykat. <3 I had a friend have some volunteer work turn into a paying job. It wasn't a ton of money but it was enough to scrape by on. (((hugs)))

Sometimes when I say "I'm okay," I want someone to look me in the eyes, hug me tight, and say "I know you're not."

Kathryn_Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 11:01 PM   #5
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

I guess from the $ sign that you're not in the UK, so I don't know how things work where you are, but is there anywhere that gives citizen advice or support for getting into employment?

I'm sorry you're in such a difficult situation and hope that something will come up for you soon!

Last edited by Pi.R^2 : 11-05-2014 at 11:01 PM. Reason: probably grossly inaccurate to assume $ = US!

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)