RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 19-09-2014, 10:29 PM   #121
Serendipity.
fabulous.

I had a thought.

I was a member for a while of a depression forum that had a "members needing extra support now" forum. It wasn't reserved for threads about suicide or anything (which were actually banned on that forum) but was just for people who really needed support immediately.

Like sometimes, things that seem comparatively minor compared to people who are about to jump off a bridge can still be really really distressing and it's very possible to feel that you can't cope and things are unbearable without also feeling actively suicidal. Sometimes then it's good to be able to reach out and have it understood that you need support asap. I wonder if that would be a possible way to see Serious, rather than just for "serious" or "crisis" posts. So then, things that might usually fit better in GSA or MH could also be posted there, as a way of saying that the poster needs support urgently, and then could be moved once things settle a bit.

"I know you're sad, so I won't tell you to have a good day. Instead, I advise you to simply have a day.
Stay alive, feed yourself well, wear comfortable clothes, and don't give up on yourself just yet.
It'll get better. Until then, have a day."

Serendipity. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 08:53 AM   #122
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

Thinking about your point Hannah about slower threads being moved out of Serious, I remember a thread I moved that was halfway down the front page with 0 replies after 24 hours. It wasn't suited to Serious, and it was moved to Mental Health Discussion, and after being moved it got quite a few very good replies.

So that sticks out to me. In my head I have this view that each board tends to get its regulars that might not regularly check other boards. Serious tends to have the same band of people who reply consistently, as does MH, and so by moving the thread out of serious into MH it got the replies it needed as the people who were in the best position to reply to that particular issue saw it.

I don't know if I've made any sense.

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 12:50 PM   #123
tiptoes
Forum Mod

I am currently:

I agree with Sherlock, some of the threads I've reported have fallen into that category.

I think there seems to be a more natural mix of threads in Serious at the moment. I'm sorry that people are feeling rather self conscious for having long threads.

In my dreams I slew the dragon

tiptoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 01:41 PM   #124
Snow White.
I am a fairy.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptoes View Post
I agree with Sherlock, some of the threads I've reported have fallen into that category.

I think there seems to be a more natural mix of threads in Serious at the moment. I'm sorry that people are feeling rather self conscious for having long threads.

Thank you Sarah. That's all I needed to hear.
Not to be told sharing my feelings (when they were asked for!) was akin to guilt tripping.

Snow White. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 01:44 PM   #125
Serendipity.
fabulous.

I thought we had moved on from that.

"I know you're sad, so I won't tell you to have a good day. Instead, I advise you to simply have a day.
Stay alive, feed yourself well, wear comfortable clothes, and don't give up on yourself just yet.

Old 21-09-2014, 01:49 PM   #126
Snow White.
I am a fairy.

I am currently:

I'm just sharing my opinion on what was helpful to hear. It was just a couple of words but it actually lifted the feeling of guilt about long threads just by reading it so I don't feel so bad about it any more.

Snow White. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 12:16 AM   #127
Serendipity.
fabulous.

Well if we're all sharing how we feel, then I feel rather guilt-tripped and like I am being asked to feel bad for having an opinion. I feel that if no matter how polite and respectful and non-personal I am about that opinion, I am still told that it is bound to make people feel bad, that is like saying I shouldn't share it. I feel that the spate of asking for threads to be closed and then opening new ones pretty soon feels fairly passive-aggressive in nature. I feel that it isn't particularly nice to essentially be told to shut up and go support someone.

But then again, this is a discussion thread, not my support thread, so as long as people are respectful and keep within the rules, I don't necessarily expect them to formulate their replies with the aim of making me feel better.

Old 23-09-2014, 10:17 PM   #128
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:

As for names for serious discussion I thought about the name emotional distress. It encompasses people needing extra help without the problem that naming it crisis causes.

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

not_so_insig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 11:40 PM   #129
Cazki
14/6/2007 -

I am currently:

I have read through the whole of this discussion as i found it very interesting and there are lots of good suggestions. I agree with two people (whose names i won't mention) they stated that ryl needs a make over and less boards. Someone else also mentioned about the atmosphere on here to. I know that back nearer when i joined there were lots more members but it felt a much more inviting and friendly forum. I'm not saying that ryl is horrible and everyone is nasty just that its very lacking. Ryl needs refreshing and some things changing. I think it has helped to move threads that dont fit in serious to more appropriate areas but i still feel something else needs to be done so that people can get the support they need without getting left out or ignored. I realise i am a lurker to now but to be fair i wasnt going to reply, i really do think that this make over suggestion is important and should to be looked into.

Last edited by Cazki : 26-09-2014 at 11:53 PM.

14/06/2007 -

Cazki is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)