RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-12-2016, 09:28 PM   #1
Sketchy

I am currently:
Preventing panic

I get moments of bad panic and anxiety. Lately it's been really bad and seeming to last forever. Today I feel calmer, so I thought in this state I could look at how to prevent these feelings and would appreciate any hints and tips. I would like to learn to keep it under control.

Sketchy is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Hugs Given By :
Old 19-12-2016, 09:41 PM   #2
Sketchy

I am currently:

Any ideas? How do you guys control anxiety?

Old 19-12-2016, 11:10 PM   #3
Elmer
Patchwork Elephant

I am currently:

I get quite bad anxiety, one thing I've found helpful is to give myself a little break from the situation. It can be literally leaving the room for five minutes (say you need the loo), or even just closing your eyes. I find leaning against something solid helps ground me and I try to always have a packet of gum/mints in my bag so I can do a little mindfulness/grounding exercise using those and nobody has to know. Breathing exercises can be brilliant too, in certain situations.
I know this is all a lot easier said than done, but I've found that used correctly these things can really help.
Obviously this might all be bullshit and/or irrelevant to you but I hope it's at least a little helpful.

'It's an impossible choice ... I'll just have to hope that when I flip the coin it somehow explodes and kills me.'

"You're not scared of climbing mountains. You're scared that you can't make them move."

Jenna was here :P

Elmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 01:04 AM   #4
Sketchy

I am currently:

Thank you Elmer. That is good advice and I'll try the mindfulness. I've been told about mindfulness, but when things are bad I struggle to even do that. Maybe I could try it before things get so bad.

Old 19-03-2017, 11:40 AM   #5
Good Vibes

I am currently:

I hope you don't mind me replying on an old thread? I came across it and thought I might be able to add something useful?

I've had really bad experiences with anxiety and panic attacks. A few years ago I would have a panic attack every night due to being triggered by something and the symptoms were horrific. My whole body would be shaking, I'd be completely dizzy, heart palpitations etc. I would be completely out of control and would end up going to a & e thinking I was dying. On several occasions I actually rang for ambulances my panic attacks were that bad.
Unfortunately I still get times where I get triggered out of no where and I end up having a panic attack with all the symptoms listed above, but this happens very rarely these days. I've found that once it gets to that point it's too late, I can't switch off panic mode. The best way I've found is to generally look after myself so that they don't happen to begin with by managing my stress and being kind to myself. This may sound weird but when the panic does happen what I've found to give myself some control back and not end up in a & e is to allow myself to just have the panic attack...ride out the shaking and dizziness as awful as it is at the time and tell myself well if I'm going to die (dramatic, huh?), I'm going to die, oh well. And then sometimes I'll get my phone out and write strange out of the blue messages to some people in my contacts about how I'm feeling great, how I've had a great day and how amazing my dinner was. By this point the shaking has usually stopped and I feel really embarrassed for myself for thinking I was about to die!

Good Vibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 04:43 PM   #6
Sketchy

I am currently:

Thank you good vibes. I'm sorry you have also experienced this.

Old 19-03-2017, 11:06 PM   #7
Good Vibes

I am currently:

It really is difficult..would you like to say more about what your anxiety is like for you, how it effects you and what yours doing to manage it so far?

Good Vibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 12:55 AM   #8
Sketchy

I am currently:

My anxiety varies. It's always there, ready too pounce. It can be a constant feeling of doom, where I can't shake off the feeling that something bad will happen. Then I feel sick to my stomach with worry. Other times I will over think things or scenarios and it becomes all too real and scary. Something can pop in my head where I will have to think it over and over just to be sure, and it scares me greatly and gets out of control.

Old 22-03-2017, 03:46 PM   #9
dreamateo

I am currently:

Is it happening when you are with people or in public areas ? One solution cound be to find you a passion if you had one. For exemple, I like drawing, when I'm drawing, I'm totally relaxing and calm. I'm in my world for a moment so I don't have any problems.

Last edited by dreamateo : 29-03-2017 at 01:50 PM.
dreamateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 05:54 PM   #10
Sketchy

I am currently:

Thank you. It happens with and without people. I do draw and paint.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)