RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-07-2009, 12:57 PM   #1
delete account

I am currently:
Triggering (SI) - Cuts, SI scars and giving blood?

The blood donor people are coming near me in three days' time! I went a bit silly the other night and basically ruined my left arm... I've never given blood before so I don't know what it's like. Last time I was going to but I felt like I didn't have much blood left inside me so if I donated some to someone else there'd be almost none left; that probably makes no sense. But what will they do if they see my cuts/scars? Are you allowed to give blood if you're SI-ing? xx

delete account is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Hugs Given By :
Old 13-07-2009, 01:57 PM   #2
eyes.wide.open

I am currently:

First, good on you for this :) Giving blood saves lives!!!

I dont know what corporation is doing yours.. but I was trying to give with the Red Cross
A nurse privately (behind a screen) inspects your arms (usually for IV tracks and stuff) but the nurse came across my scars, and then asked to make sure they were all 6 months old (i had been cutting on my legs so she didnt know)
So i lied and got through the screening and tried to give blood (turns out i have low blood volume and couldnt lol, so you do make tons of sense with your comment lol)
They make sure you dont have open cuts because there runs the risk of you giving infected blood (hepatitis from using a dirty blade or otherwise) to the sick people recieving your blood.
So I am sorry to say, it might be difficult. Depends on the organization who is taking your blood though as they all have different policies. It might help to google yours and see if they have a list of things for you to be elligable.
Hope this helped a bit, although its just personal experience!

"They say time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessons, but it is never gone." - Rose Kennedy

eyes.wide.open is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2009, 03:57 PM   #3
delete account

I am currently:

Woww thanks for the info, you're obv in the know. It doesn't sound good, but I think I'll turn up and see what happens just in case. The website does have a list but they said the whole list of regulations is 200 pages long so what was on the site can't be the whole thing! It didn't mention SI anywhere on the site but I guess that's just because it's kind of a taboo thing, or maybe they don't get many people who SI. I'm really scared so I'm almost wishing they will turn me away! But yeah I'm gonna go and see what happens :) xxxx

Old 13-07-2009, 04:21 PM   #4
eyes.wide.open

I am currently:

yay :)
good luck, let us know how it goes !!

"They say time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessons, but it is never gone." - Rose Kennedy

eyes.wide.open is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2009, 05:00 PM   #5
rockaroni
Captain Rainbow!!!

I am currently:

I swear there should be a sticky on this, so many people ask this!

Basically it's treated similarly to a piercing or a tattoo- 6 months to a year after your last cut as such, you should be able to donate. It's an infection risk, as eyes wide open said. So to be honest, chances are, if you have open wounds it'll be a no go.

I went to donate once, and I'd been 8 months free and spent 90 minutes arguing with the nurse as to why I should be allowed. She called over a couple of other nurses and even phoned a doctor, all who said I should be able to no problems, but this woman was just so dead set against it that she "overruled" them all. Ergh. So sometimes it just depends on who you get.

Wake me up before I change again
Remind me the story that I won't get insane
Tell me why it's always the same
Explain me the reason why I'm so much in pain.

rockaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2009, 05:14 PM   #6
delete account

I am currently:

Ohh sorry. I was gonna search to see if it'd been said before, but then I must have just forgotten or something.

Shame; this is the first time I've ever like properly been ready to do it. I guess the piercing/tattoo thing makes sense. Oh well - maybe it's something to work towards. Thanks xx

Old 14-07-2009, 08:52 AM   #7
Ivy
Working Through It

I am currently:

I've given blood 3 times and I've never had a problem.
I usually come in in a jacket because
1) I get cold when I give blood
2) I don't want them to see my scars
But since the time before I almost fainted I had to take my jacket off so they could put an ice pack under my back.
I was able to keep my arm at my side where they couldn't see it until they couldn't find a suitable vein in my right arm so I surrendered my left (and scarred) arm.
The lady didn't say anything but to tell you the truth I couldn't even look her in the face.
Anyway, she decided my right arm was fine after all and another person saw my scars that didn't have to.

I hope we all find peace among the storm.

Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2009, 06:57 PM   #8
delete account

I am currently:

Ooh that's interesting! I'd given up hope but maybe I'll try then. I don't wanna hide them in case it does have an impact on the quality of the blood, but I don't know. I might as well turn up! Thanks for telling me that. xx

Old 14-07-2009, 10:33 PM   #9
rockaroni
Captain Rainbow!!!

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by unmistakably_me View Post
i can't imagine it's quite the same as tattooing and piercing where the needle is shared with other people (and hopefully sterilised in an autoclave in between)
I hope you're actually making a joke there. Needles are NEVER used more than once. If they are, it's a really incredulously **** tattoo artist or piercer who shouldn't be allowed to do it. They're ALWAYS changed between clients. And I never said SH was a tattoo or piercing, I just said it's treated [when giving blood] in a similar manor, as in it's basically open skin that is prone to infection.

Old 16-07-2009, 06:56 PM   #10
Ivy
Working Through It

I am currently:

One point I forgot to mention..
Don't normal people get scrapes and cuts all the time?
I mean gosh, sometimes when I'm shaving my legs I accidentally cut my ankle.
I'm a klutz and I stumble around and end up hurting myself all the time.
And I don't see one of the requirements for giving blood is being graceful. ;)

I hope we all find peace among the storm.

Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2009, 07:02 PM   #11
delete account

I am currently:

Yeah I thought that! They should make a rule that you can't give blood if you've tripped over in the last six months.....
Still, I mean SI is kinda bad and you will be using a blade and probably reusing it too. It does make sense. =\

I went anyway today and asked the woman at the front when there was no one else about, and said about what people on here had said and she said it's better to come back when I'm six months free. I totally agree tbh, so maybe this might actually help stop me cutting? I'm kinda gutted but I guess it's right. xxx

Old 16-07-2009, 09:07 PM   #12
PapaBear
Shayne, legally, as of 7/14/09

I am currently:

That's unfortunate that you were unable to donate, but I agree with it being good motivation to stop/stay stopped.

I have a question along these similar lines. If you're taking medications for a mental illness/disorder, are you able to donate? Before I found out I have HIV, I was going to donate blood, but was afraid I'd be unable to due to my medications. I have a friend who takes Citalopram, Doxepin, and (i think) Trazedone, and one doctor says she can't donate, and the other says she can?

PapaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2009, 09:37 PM   #13
delete account

I am currently:

If it's the national blood service you're donating with, you should see this page https://secure.blood.co.uk/mqf.asp or call 0300 123 23 23, but if it's different (I think that's UK only?) then um... I don't know! If there's a donor helpline, they're probably the ones to call <3 xx

Old 16-07-2009, 10:09 PM   #14
rockaroni
Captain Rainbow!!!

I am currently:

I'm pretty sure you shouldn't give blood if you're on medication, I know my Dad couldn't when he was on fluoxetine. But it might vary from country to country.

Ivy- I might be wrong (it's been a few years), but I'm pretty sure the form you fill in before asks if you've had any recent injuries. So it's not exactly a "graceful" thing, all open wounds can potentially get infected. Though I'm pretty sure a shaving nick hardly counts.

Old 16-07-2009, 10:15 PM   #15
Amaryllis
Forum Mod

I am currently:

I've donated while on fluxotine before. Declared it and everything and they still allowed me. But I have a hard time donating because of blood pressure so I have to be careful.

I was allowed to donate so long as I didn't have open wounds and the nurses at my red cross place new about my SI.

Men come and go, but dust accumulates.

Amaryllis is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)