RYL Forums

Forum Jump

Old 27-10-2014, 02:06 AM   #1
Winterbreeze
Tasha

I am currently:
Makeshift Bandages

Is it possible to make makeshift bandages for wound care? I'm just wondering because I'm fresh out of gauze pads and stuff and my parents are refusing to allow me to purchase more. They think that it'll be supporting my problem or something. Could I make wound care equipment out of stuff lying around like old clothes or whatever? If so, how?

2 Hugs Given By :
Old 27-10-2014, 04:14 AM   #2
SandraOnite

I am currently:

I've always used duct tape and tissues. I put the tissue (folded to the right size) on the injury and tape over that. It works pretty well because you can make it as big or small as you need to.

Old 27-10-2014, 08:52 AM   #3
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

Using proper dressings is really all we can recommend.

Do your parents control your money or would you be able to buy some sometimes when you're out by yourself? It sounds like they are concerned that you are self harming, and think that this might help you stop, but obviously that's not the case! Could you try to speak to them about this and explain that it's not something you can just stop like that and you really would like their support to help keep the wounds as clean and safe as possible to avoid getting infections?

No other sadness in the world would do

Old 27-10-2014, 07:38 PM   #4
Buttons.
Never knowing...a helping hand or hell to pay?

I am currently:

Not ideal by any means but clean socks can work-tying them round the wound, less likely than tissues and such to end up getting into the wound, can as with any clothing used stick though.

'Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.'

['There is only one thing we say to death. Not today'.']

'We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell.’ – Oscar Wilde
‘It’s hard to dance with the devil on your back.’ Sydney Carter

Old 27-10-2014, 09:17 PM   #5
Elmer
Patchwork Elephant

I am currently:

I've used sanitary towels as a kind of interim measure before I could get hold of proper dressings in the past. But yeah you do need proper sterile stuff really.

'It's an impossible choice ... I'll just have to hope that when I flip the coin it somehow explodes and kills me.'

"You're not scared of climbing mountains. You're scared that you can't make them move."

Jenna was here :P

Old 29-10-2014, 12:21 AM   #6
Winterbreeze
Tasha

I am currently:

Thanks for the replies. I started getting supplies from my school nurse of all places, and I've managed to sneak in a box of gauze pads at the grocery store and I got a roll of medical tape from my school. Mom never even noticed. I do need to get them to actually get me some stuff though. I don't like all this sneaking around. I've honestly got enough secrets to worry about.

I really appreciate the advice, and it'll probably come in handy pretty soon.

Old 29-10-2014, 05:02 AM   #7
KariNicole

I am currently:

I've used paper towels as guaze before, and liner pads (those really thin small ones). You just have to find something really strong to tape it with...maybe the earlier suggestion of duct tape? Its not the best but it works. You shouldn't use kleenexes or anything of that material though because it gets yucky when it gets bloodied. You have to use something stronger like paper towels that won't crumble up.

Old 30-10-2014, 09:45 PM   #8
Animad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraOnite View Post
I've always used duct tape and tissues. I put the tissue (folded to the right size) on the injury and tape over that. It works pretty well because you can make it as big or small as you need to.
You should never use tissue as as soon as it gets wet it disintegrates and so it leaves fibres in the wound which will prevent healing and also be a starting point to something becoming infected. Also, if the wound bleeds all the blood/ discharge will stick the tissue to the woundand so when you pull it off it will damage any healing that has taken place.

Secondly, you should. NEVER apply duct tape to the skin or attach dressings on to it. It will not only stop any airflow getting to the dressing but will also potentially damage the skin below which can cause blisters, pull off the top layer of skin or just lead to a generalised sore area which will cause more problems and will likely then need a dressing to ideally cover that bit.

In the long term proper dressings should be used and you should only use tape (in either the long or short term) designed for medical use. In the short term, if really necessary you can use sanitary towels or nappies, so long as they are clean beforehand, as a layer closest to the wound but nothing really other than that with cuts. With burns cling film is pretty much the perfect thing to use in the short- medium term but anything other than that you should use proper dressings designed for the job. Wounds are as fragile as your eye so wage need the right things to protect them to allow them to heal effectively.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)