RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-06-2007, 10:48 AM   #1
Breeze
dizzy dyke

Bone Scan

So I had a DXA scan (bone density) 2 weeks ago and it showed that I have the bone density of an old lady. OAP bones at 29 :(
Dr gave me calcium which I should've had years ago but never got round to it. Out of sight out of mind.

But now as I know I have old people bones I guess I'll have to do summit about it.

I seem to be getting a load of health problems now due to anorexia. It has caught up with me.

Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Hugs Given By :
Old 05-06-2007, 11:03 AM   #2
~XxxFireflyxxX~
Remember happiness is just a teardrop away...

This is one of the major dangers with anorexia, the effects don't show, usually, untill later on.

Please be careful, hopefully this will push you in the right direction. Oesteoparosis can be so devistating so don't let this get any worse. It can make you spine curl over so much that your chest compresses and you die due to suffication. At the least it gives you a hump. You need to start looking after yourself.

Edit: Sorry I was in a bad mood this morning when I wrote that. Sweetie there are treatments that you can under go and there are options, I know this must have been scary to hear but its not the be aqll and end all there are things you can do to help.

Sophie
Xxx

Last edited by ~XxxFireflyxxX~ : 05-06-2007 at 05:11 PM.

Dream more than others think is practical...
Risk more than others think is safe.

Every second being upset is a second of happiness you will never get back…

~XxxFireflyxxX~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 11:05 AM   #3
-Tough-Cookie-
Life is a contradiction at times - as am I

I am currently:

Unofortunatly i can relate - i havnt had a bone density scan but i have bad wrists and spine due to my anorexia (i beleive) now i'm in recovery there pumping milk in my left right and centre...both for thr fat and the calcium

“Toughness is in the soul and spirit, not in muscles.”
----
----

-Tough-Cookie- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 11:24 AM   #4
SugarKane
wants to be the girl with the most cake

I am currently:

This really scares me too as in addition to my history of anorexia/stopped periods, my grandma has really bad osteoporosis and I think it's partially genetic. Yikes. When I had a blood test a couple of years ago as well they told me my calcium levels were low and gave me supplements. Not recently though, or the last time they were checked. I take a supplement now and eat yogurt every day and I suppose a fair bit of milk as I drink a few cups of tea each day. Too scared to have a bone scan! There are a lot of treatments though for osteoporosis, and weight-bearing exercise will help preserve your bones' strength, even just regular walking. I am sorry to hear that though, must be awful to have it brought home like that :(

SugarKane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:07 PM   #5
_Cadence_
fvck off. hold me.

I am currently:

I'm so sorry- that must have been horrible to hear! And as SugarKane said, there are a lot of treatments for osteoporosis, such as weight-bearing exercise running/walking.
*massive hugs*

The following content has been hidden - Reason : trigger?
I won't be on RYL much right now because I'm REALLY triggered, but I'm safe... so don't worry...

_Cadence_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:15 PM   #6
lydia.

I'm really sorry sweetie, that must be pretty scary for you
*squishes*

lydia. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 02:02 PM   #7
Psiren
Apathetic without the 'A'

I am currently:

Aww sweetheart, that must have been frightening.
But hopefully if you keep with the calcium supplements it'll help.
Plus, I'm sure they can do all sorts of cool stuff with the technology about nowadays to help.

Take care of yourself.
*hugs*

Psiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 02:12 PM   #8
EmmaM
Guinness World Record Holder

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelpie View Post
So I had a DXA scan (bone density) 2 weeks ago and it showed that I have the bone density of an old lady. OAP bones at 29 :(
Dr gave me calcium which I should've had years ago but never got round to it. Out of sight out of mind.

But now as I know I have old people bones I guess I'll have to do summit about it.

I seem to be getting a load of health problems now due to anorexia. It has caught up with me.
I know EXACTLY how you feel, I had the results of my scan in September (I'm now 23) I was 22 when they told me I have old lady bones.
I take the calcium tablets twice a day and just hope it doesn't get worse.
I went to the dentist and had three fillings and one of my teeth split because of how osteoperosis effected my tooth.
Its horrible but thats what anorexia does to you, it seems magazines etc dont concentrate on all the lasting effects afterwards only what happens when you are ill.

EmmaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 02:19 PM   #9
Little Lost Clock

I am currently:

I'm really sorry you had to hear this bad news, but there are, as the people above have said some things you can do to prevent further decline. Just don't burry your head in the sand and hope it goes away. You'll be ok.
xxx

Little Lost Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 02:51 PM   #10
Keep Smiling
ASofterWorld

I am currently:

oh gosh i am so sorry to hear this *holds you tight and gives you kisses* hopefully you can get some form of treatment to prevent anything getting worse,, i hope everything is okay.

lucy.
x x x

go on a journey, & roam the streets,
can't see the way out, & so use the stars.
she sits for eternity, & then climbs out.
she's the glowing sun, so come out.

Keep Smiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 06:07 PM   #11
Breeze
dizzy dyke

It hasn't really hit home. All the women in my family ( mum,Nan and 3 Aunts) have it and they lead normal lives.
The damage can be slowed/halted right? I know it can never go back to the 'normal healthy' level.

My teeth are also pretty poor. and I need alot of work done there.

thank you for your preplies and support :)

Lucy your from the south?! I'm in East Sussex... :)

Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)