RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-09-2007, 01:52 AM   #1
cutupangel09
ANGEL

I am currently:
Borderline Personality Disorder

I was wondering if anyone has this? When did you get diagnosed (age)? Why I'm asking is my new therapy is for people with BPD but I've not been diagnosed that so I was just wondering what it was and how it affects you.

The Thing We Fear Most, Is What We Want Most

I Will Learn To Fly High Above This World

cutupangel09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 03:00 AM   #2
romancandle
And all you want is sleep/But all you get it pills

I am currently:

Well, I don't have it, but here's the symptoms, taken straight from the DSM. You have to have 5 or more symptoms to be diagnosed with BPD.

"1. Frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment.
2. A pattern of unstable and intense interpersonal relationships, characterized by alternating between extremes of idealation and devaluation.
3. Identity disturbance: markedly and persistently unstable self-image or sense of self .
4. Impulsivity in at least two areas that are potentially self-damaging (e.g., spending, sex, substance abuse, reckless driving, binge eating).
5. Recurrent suicidal behavior, gestures, or threats, or self-mutilating behavior.
6. Affective instability due to a markedly reactivity of mood (e.g., intense episodic dysphoria, irritability, or anxiety usually lasting a few hours and only rarely more than a few days).
7. Chronic feelings of emptiness.
8. Inappropriate, intense anger or difficulty controlling anger (e.g., frequent displays of temper, constant anger, recurrent physical fights).
9. Transient stress-related paranoid ideation or severe dissociative symptoms."

Now the thing about BPD, most people are diagnosed with BPD by psychiatrists who have no clue how to explain SI. There are few mental illnesses that have SI as a symptom. This is one of them, and it's commonly misdiagnosed.

Also, the SI in this diagnosis is more related to the fear of abandonment. It is seen as a "cry for help", to put it nicely. To not put it nicely, it's a "cry for attention", which I think is a horrible box to put SIers in.

I may not be a psychiatrist, but from the 5 Psychology classes I've taken, we have had discussions involving personality disorders, particularly BPD, considering "Girl, Interrupted" glorifying BPD.

But honestly, I'm just warning everyone that if you get diagnosed with BPD, learn about it. Don't take the doctor seriously at first, because a lot of them go straight to BPD if you SI.

romancandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:10 AM   #3
confused19

I am currently:

i think i've been diagnosed with it my diagnoses and stuff is a little confusing on the definates and stuff but last i heard i had borderline personality disorder and bipolar. I got diagnosed just this past year and i am 19 now so it was when i was 18 that i got diagnosed.

confused19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 12:15 PM   #4
Tig

I was diagnosed with BPD by my consultant, but he can't fill the criteria - he has diagnosed me with it because of my recurrent self harm, which has nothing to do with my "fear of abandonment" so just be careful if they do diagnose you with it.
I would just make sure you ask for an explanation as to why they have diagnosed you with BPD so that you are clear in your own mind and you understand where they are coming from. Also, they may have got some things wrong which you can put right.
Do they want you to do DBT therapy? It is commonly used for BPD but can also be used for a lot of different things, such as self harm. Could you ask somebody why you have been referred for that particular therapy? It might help =]

Tig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 03:19 PM   #5
cutupangel09
ANGEL

I am currently:

Yea, they want me to DBT therapy because I had to switch counselors because they wanted to try some new things.

Old 07-09-2007, 05:27 PM   #6
Katey-lou
struggling to hold on

I am currently:

i got diagnosed with BPD after my third time as an inpatient in hospital. it took them a while. it was after they diagnosed PTSD and a couple of othert thigns they mentioned. it had been mentioned but i was only properly diagnosed with it then. i know that soem docotrs can jump straigh to it. but not everyone accepts it either its definatly an opinionated disorder. (that makes no sense at all)

io asked the hosptial staff for information on it coz to me it just felt a like a label. i got soem adn when i read through thing i could associate the things i had with it so it made a little more sense

Theres a little truth behing every just kidding,
A little curiosity behind every just wondering,
A little knowledge behind every i dont know.
And a little emotion behind every i dont care.

Katey-lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:42 PM   #7
shadowedseraph

I am currently:

I got diagnosed aged 23 after a year long observation process :) im also in DBT

shadowedseraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:17 PM   #8
Psychedelic Doodle Pop

I'm 17 and transferring to adult services. My child consultant cannot diagnose me with it because I'm not 18, but he has recommended that adult services diagnose me with it.

I have had treatment that is used for BPD, withotu being diagnosed with it to. A form of CBT called 'Systems work.' I found it very helpful. Remember that lots of therapies can be used for different things. It does not mean you have BPD, everyone has traits of every disorder.

Good luck, hope you find it helpful.

Old 07-09-2007, 07:32 PM   #9
Poi-sin

I am currently:

They changed my diagnosis from depression + anxiety to BPD about a month and a half ago. I didn't know what it was and my new therapist (who only saw me for about 30min and diagnosed me kinda mostly because of the SH) seemed suprised that i wasn't intrested in learning what it was. I just don't really care. They can call it whatever they want to. Doesn't mean I have it or am going to believe them. And it also doesn't mean that just because they have given a name to w/e it is that I'm now fixed and they understand me.

They want to give me CBT for it. At really expensive prices...

"I mean nothing to you and I don't know why..."

Poi-sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 10:04 PM   #10
dixie

glad I found someone who wants to know about BPD. Basicly my boyfriend has it and he is really difficult to be around but im not saying you are. If your getting therapy then that is really good but I was wondering how the hell you get a BPD person into therapy. If they do end up checking to see if you have BPD then keep having the therapy, it won't sort the problem but it should keep you on track :)

dixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 06:44 PM   #11
Poi-sin

I am currently:

my mom got me into therapy by threatening to section me if i didn't go. Not really the best route. I said I would go to one trial session, and she agreed that thats all I had to attend.
3 weeks after that, and the therapist said at the session, go away and think about if you want to have theray. So I went away and immediatly it was out of my mind, because I don't want therapy. I never mentioned it again. But my mother has booked more sessions because she says i promised I would go. I said no such thing. I haven't even mentioned therapy. But I don't really care or want to be threatened again. So I take the path of least resistance. I just go along with whats around me. Which aparently means I'm being ferried off to therapy. oh the joy (feel my sarcasm)

"I mean nothing to you and I don't know why..."

Poi-sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 07:21 PM   #12
Psychedelic Doodle Pop

I don't think your Mum could section you hun, maybe discuss it with your therapist, whether you would be sectioned I mean.

Last edited by Psychedelic Doodle Pop : 10-09-2007 at 07:22 PM. Reason: To add subclause at end of sentence
Old 10-09-2007, 10:12 PM   #13
jsthoping
a work impossible

I am currently:
the rare side of bpd....

the most common bpd is female...then why is it more and more males are being find to have bpd

only 25% of all who have bpd are male.....In most of my reading bpd is caused by abuse, mental, physical, or sexual
in childhood.

Last edited by jsthoping : 23-11-2007 at 09:11 PM. Reason: back on track
jsthoping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 07:50 PM   #14
Razoredge

I am currently:

hi, after many stays in hospitall, i was finally diagnosed at 18, im no 19 and struggling to be frank, i have periods where i do really well and then things go from good to worse and im downhill 4 about 6/7 weeks

Razoredge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2007, 04:37 PM   #15
A.wasmyfirstlove

I am currently:

My aunt just was dignoised with this..

Its really hard to watch her go through it as well...

One minute, she loves me and wants to go out and do stuff with me, the next minute she hates everyone and wants to kill herself.
Its so hard on the rest of my family too.
And she is like my mom and ahh its just really hard

Im here for you Kyra

Always.

The difficulties and struggles of today are
but the price we must pay for the accomplishments
and victories of tomorrow

A.wasmyfirstlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2007, 06:50 AM   #16
all-hope.lost-forever
Trying to save myself from myself.

I am currently:

I got diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder when i was 18 im now 23 its a hard thing to live with...but with the right therapy it can be manageble.
Pm me anytime
*hugs*
take care
xx

Feel free to PM me anytime!

R.I.P Spencer <3 - I'll miss you!

all-hope.lost-forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2007, 03:47 PM   #17
forgottenangel3788
The Infallible Princess (who is not so infallible)

I am currently:

yeah I have been diagnosed with it. I was diagnosed around the age of 15 I think and I am now 19. The wanted me to go through DBT as well but the center was too far away and it costs too much for me to go. I am fine now though, my boyfriend has been a great help and he deals with my fear of abandoment issues pretty well. If it weren't for him, I would most likely be a mess right now considering things that are happening now.

forgottenangel3788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2007, 02:09 PM   #18
beautiful&dying
I ain't thick it's just a trick

I am currently:

I was diagnosed at 19 after just being classed as clinically depressed before. I think they one gave me the diagnosis because I had no luck on antideps and was self harming, and had rapid changes of emotions. The good thing is I'm 24 now and I understand what is wrong with me and I work with it, so I'm doing a lot better now I have the skills to deal with it.
xxxxx

How could you become as awesome as you are and still feel like a loser?
Pixie (my little sister) * QueerFringe (my daughter)* Dreamerandbeliever (my cuddly kitten) * Acrasia (my twinny)
(Currently have left this website so find me here if you want me)

beautiful&dying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2007, 08:49 PM   #19
cutupangel09
ANGEL

I am currently:

thank you all so much for all your replies to this I think I may understand it better now thank you

Old 26-09-2007, 12:56 PM   #20
beautiful&dying
I ain't thick it's just a trick

I am currently:

You're welcome honey, that's what we're all here for!
There is a lot of debate at the moment about whther you can cure personality disorders. I don't think you can, as a personailty is a personality and it's stuck. But I do believe with therapy and support you can get a lot better, or at least learn to cope effectively with the bad times, so never give up hope.
xxxx

How could you become as awesome as you are and still feel like a loser?
Pixie (my little sister) * QueerFringe (my daughter)* Dreamerandbeliever (my cuddly kitten) * Acrasia (my twinny)
(Currently have left this website so find me here if you want me)

beautiful&dying is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)