RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 17-12-2015, 05:31 PM   #1
dbus-daemon

I am currently:
Contains sexual abuse - Nightmares and flashbacks getting worse

The nightmares are very realistic. I think it might be a flashback and nightmare in one.

On Monday I had a nightmare/flashback combination.

The following content has been hidden - Reason : mentions details of nightmare
I was in my bedroom and in bed asleep (in the nightmare). My ex was there with 2 of his mates. He woke me up and he had a small gun. He then got me on my desk and attacked me. His mates then attacked me, one after the other. It was basically just a slightly scarier replay of the stuff they did to me.

When I woke up, I thought it was happening again. I felt that incredible fear, helplessness and terror. I was really confused at first, because I didn’t know where the men were. I got out of bed and tried to find my ex. It suddenly dawned on me that I would need to go to the prison to find him seeing as he’s been in there for a few months.

I began to think that if my ex couldn’t possibly be in the house, then it’s possible that the other men weren’t. It took me a few seconds to work out that it was a nightmare and it was just a dream, albeit a scary one.

This morning I had probably the most terrifying nightmare I have ever had.

The following content has been hidden - Reason : description of nightmare
I was in the kitchen and my ex and his mates were there. I can’t remember how many, but it was a lot. Like Faustian demons, the kitchen began to fill with them. They came out of nowhere, just appeared as if by magic. I was then attacked very violently by them.

The abuse I suffered in the nightmare was even worse than even the worst I experienced in waking life.

I still remember the absolute terror I felt during the nightmare. I again had that few seconds of “where is he?” before I realised it was just another nightmare.

I’ve been having a few flashbacks lately. Since last Friday they have been getting worse.

Last Friday I had a flashback to being abused as a kid. It was just something about one of the characters on the telly that brought it all back. I was suddenly transported back to being about 13/14, and my abusers doing stuff to me. The humiliation that I felt back then suddenly came back. I remembered what happened that day, how they made me feel. I could feel the humiliation, worthlessness and (physical) pain of that afternoon all over again.

Ever since the flashbacks have started, I have felt less safe. For the last few weeks (since the other abusers were charged) I have felt a bit safer. Since the nightmares got worse and the flashbacks came more and more often, that feeling has gone.

Right now I am very nervous and twitchy. It’s like my brain is preparing for another attack. I can’t relax at all. The slightest noise makes me expect to get beaten and raped again by those monsters. I’ve been like this since Monday.

It’s slightly reassuring that I have contact details for the officer handling the case so if the attackers ever did do anything to me then they’d be held in jail until the hearing for breaching bail (and committing further crimes).

I still can’t get that feeling of safety that I had before I ever met my ex. It took me years to feel safe (5 years actually) after the abuse as a child/teenager stopped, and my ex destroyed that in a second.

dbus-daemon is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Hugs Given By :
Old 19-12-2015, 07:57 PM   #2
whirlpools

Hi there, I'm so sorry you've been experiencing such horrible flashbacks and nightmares. I wonder if there are things, or a plan, you could put in place to help you feel safer and more grounded should a flashback/nightmare occur? It might help to have a notepad beside your bed reminding you of personal details, the whereabouts of the people who abused you, that you're safe in the here and now. This info can be as uncomplicated as possible.

If there are any smells you find comforting from a happier and safer time could be useful to have on hand, as are other little grounding things. This is different for everyone but I find when I have a nightmare I find it useful to be able to put a light on asap. You might also make a warm drink (you could even have a flask by your bed) or have a safe DVD or song to put on.

Do you have a therapist you can talk to about this re-experiencing? It might also help to be able to reach out to a safe person - sending a friend a text, perhaps, a support line or safe online forum? Just to reconnect with safety as soon as possible.

whirlpools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 05:02 PM   #3
dbus-daemon

I am currently:

IDK really, I managed to tell a mate what's been going on. He knew something was wrong and got me to talk to him. I feel a lot better coz now I know he's there for me.

I saw my attackers again last night. I was absolutely terrified and literally paralysed with fear. They didn't do anything, I just saw them walking down the street. No nightmares or flashbacks yet though.

dbus-daemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)