RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-02-2022, 08:14 PM   #1
Fran86
That man is not your maker

I am currently:
Going inpatient

So, it looks as though I'll be going inpatient soon (as soon as a bed becomes available). More than likely at the Cygnet in Ealing (on the EDU ward). Does anyone have any experience of being there? Or on inpatient wards in general? I'm so, so anxious about it. Super anxious that they won't find me a bed, and even more anxious that they will (I know that doesn't make sense).
If you've been inpatient please can you tell me something about what it was like. What should I take with me?

I focus on the pain
The only thing that's real

– "Hurt"

Fran86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 11:32 AM   #2
Fran86

I am currently:

I found out today that I've got an admittance date, 21st Feb. Does anyone have any advice for getting through the next 18 days?

I focus on the pain

– "Hurt"

Old 03-02-2022, 12:45 PM   #3
88shelz
be positive

I am currently:

Cygnet is a good hospital with lovely staff. They really do care. Use this time to gather the things you love and items that will make your room homely and comfortable. A diary is always good to journal and then speak when comfortable through the feelings you had with staff, doctor or even the other patients. Be open in communicating with your family about your worries. Let them know of your wishes for while you are in hospital. Eg visits , phone calls etc.
I know it seems daunting right now but getting treatment is such a milestone. Be gentle on yourself in the waiting x

88shelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 04:49 PM   #4
Auror.
Camden

I've been inpatient but not in the UK and not during the pandemic, so can't speak to that specific experience as I think it's very different there than in my country, and very different now in general. I just wanted to wish you all the best. Waiting is really difficult. I know for me I ended up kind of giving up and just letting things deteriorate even more while I waited. Would not recommend. It just made things even harder once I got there. If you can keep as stable as possible that would be really great. Do you have any support until then? Can you contact the ward and ask for a list of rules or packing suggestions?

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.

Auror. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 01:15 PM   #5
Fran86

I am currently:

Thank you both so much. Is there anything you took in with you/wish you had taken?

I focus on the pain

– "Hurt"

Old 04-02-2022, 06:59 PM   #6
Auror.
Camden

I took a lot of stuff to do that I didn't end up using - like books, dvds, stuff like that. If I wasn't at a meal or in a group I was sleeping or trying to rest. But I don't know if there are a lot of groups where you are going or your mental capacity for dealing with things in general. I also had to fly there so really could only take what fit in my suitcase. I think for me very loose, comfortable clothing and comfort items were the most important other than hygiene stuff.

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

Old 11-02-2022, 08:27 PM   #7
Fran86

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror. View Post
I took a lot of stuff to do that I didn't end up using - like books, dvds, stuff like that. If I wasn't at a meal or in a group I was sleeping or trying to rest. But I don't know if there are a lot of groups where you are going or your mental capacity for dealing with things in general. I also had to fly there so really could only take what fit in my suitcase. I think for me very loose, comfortable clothing and comfort items were the most important other than hygiene stuff.
Thank you. Comfy clothes is a good idea, I've ordered some new jogging bottoms in a bigger size so hopefully that'll help. I was thinking of taking a couple of books and my laptop but I'm not sure what else.

I focus on the pain

– "Hurt"

Old 11-02-2022, 09:44 PM   #8
Auror.
Camden

Where I was we were allowed to order things online and get packages delivered (again different country though). You could ask if it's the same there. I think a couple of books and your laptop should be plenty, though you may want to ask about internet access. Where I was technically had internet, but it was so slow that trying to stream video didn't work well.

If just that is not enough you can always ask about ordering some other things to be shipped, or asking a family member or friend to ship you a care package?

The bottoms in a larger size is a fantastic idea! I would also get a couple of tops too. I know my stomach was very bloated and swollen, so any tight tops were extremely uncomfortable. Where I was also had a clothes closet that you could take donations from, but most of it was small clothes though that past patients had grown out of.

Old 11-02-2022, 10:22 PM   #9
Elmer
Patchwork Elephant

I am currently:

I've never been to inpatient ED treatment but I wanted to suggest getting things a couple of sizes bigger than you think/want to - I'm not implying you'll get to that size, I don't know you or anything about your situation/body, but for me in recovery the bloating was sometimes quite uncomfortable and I needed/wanted the bigger clothes just for comfort value, even though they were/are too big.

If it's anything like a general psych ward, you are going to want things to do - colouring/knitting/crochet/general craft etc are all good low energy things for when concentrating is hard. When I was at day patient there was a bit of a craze for paint by numbers and those diamond/gem art sets.

I wanted to say good luck, I hope the admission is helpful and productive.

Last edited by Elmer : 11-02-2022 at 10:28 PM.

'It's an impossible choice ... I'll just have to hope that when I flip the coin it somehow explodes and kills me.'

"You're not scared of climbing mountains. You're scared that you can't make them move."

Jenna was here :P

Elmer is online now   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)