RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-01-2016, 10:57 AM   #1
Karen Rathgeber
Karen Rathgeber

I am currently:
slipping up in recovery

hi, I have been struggling with depression and self harm for a long time. i am currently on 40mg of celexa but every once in a while I still have an urge to compulsively pick or cut. is it normal to feel an urge when still on a high dose of your medication?

Karen Rathgeber is offline   Reply With Quote
One Hug Given By:
Old 03-01-2016, 11:02 AM   #2
Unbreakable.
We can try. We can always try.

I am currently:

Urges don't tend to just go away
Do you feel though that your meds are making it easier to fight the urges?

the sun

the moon

the truth

Unbreakable. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:48 AM   #3
Filth
The Wroth

I am currently:

It's definitely normal to still have urges. The meds might help the feelings that lead to urges, but they aren't a silver bullet as far as the urges themselves. Self-harm isn't just hurting yourself. It's a coping skill, a whole set of thoughts and feelings that take time to rebuild into different paths.

Filth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:23 AM   #4
Karen Rathgeber
Karen Rathgeber

I am currently:

the meds make my mood more neutral but i still have urges to self harm or to binge. when i get those urges sometimes nothing stops me from doing it. i can draw or whatever but i still do it anyway even though my mood may be neautral or nothing in my life is going on. at times i was doing it when i was not even paying attention and my friend say stop your doing it.

Old 07-01-2016, 06:00 AM   #5
Greene0Kelly

I am currently:

I think your urges are your thoughts which are somehow medications doesn't cover. Learn to shift your focus into something you passionately doing. Idle thoughts are very dangerous.

Sometimes, the smallest step in the right direction ends up being the biggest step of your life. Tip toe if you must, but take the step.

Greene0Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:10 AM   #6
Karen Rathgeber
Karen Rathgeber

I am currently:

so shift all of my focus into my passion? idle thoughts meaning sitting still? sometimes i dont have any negitive thoughts or anxiety and still do it

Old 07-01-2016, 11:01 AM   #7
Margo

I am currently:

I think, with recovery, it's not the urges that matter but how we deal with them. Recovery isn't about stopping and retaining a state of wellness with no thoughts of what once happened. Recovery is about how we cope with those thoughts and how quickly we recover and move on from them.

I judge my own recovery in how quickly I "recover". I slip and fall and get urges even when everything is seemingly rosey.

Urges are normal and part of the process.

Accept them as a part of you and don't beat yourself up over them. It can be hard enough getting by without the added pressure.

~Phoenix~ is my Little Sister of Awesomeness and Self-Delusion :P
Bitter Angel is my Mitten
Animad is my Top Trump
All Im Living For - Is my beautiful and special daughter who isnt called Kim but will moan if i dont add her :P

Margo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:32 AM   #8
Karen Rathgeber
Karen Rathgeber

I am currently:

i think i am ok with what happened and moving on but maybe not. i used to beat myself up when i failed. some say its part of learning but when it happens to me i felt like no matter where i went it would be the wrong path. that everyone can do it but me or i will never be good enough. Todays society has added pressure all around us. so how is it possible to not treat a set back as though its another failure in life?

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)